Sykora to Habs/Bruins

JimmyBeans

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it's Anaheim making the deal and trying to dump salary that means we have the advantage. Unless Bob Gainey is an idiot (which he isn't) we would either make an even deal or win the deal - not lose it. If we traded Zednik for Sykora (with some other things which could be added on either side) then that could work for us. My concern is that Sykora is a RW who can play Center. Ryder is a RW, Ribs is a Center and Plekanec is a C who can play RW. That means that trading one of our only offensive LW in Zednik, we would be sending both Ribs and (especially) Pleky down to the fourth line which I don't want. Maybe Sykora can be moved to LW. Anyways, if we get him or not, I'm indifferent.

Instead of starting up another rumor thread... I figure I'll just post this here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=14717...179&hubname=nhl

TSN (yea I know, everyone's favorite...) Has reported that Montreal is into the Sykora thing as well...

However, the point that caught my attention was that we're apparently involved in talks with Vancouver for Mr. Bertuzzi.

Senators GM John Muckler told the Ottawa papers that there was nothing to the trade talk that had the Senators dealing either D Zdeno Chara or D Wade Redden for Canucks LW Todd Bertuzzi.  The Ottawa Citizen notes that the Canadiens, Panthers and Kings are among the teams coveting Bertuzzi, if he's available.

To me, this is the kind of deal that Gainey would pull off, I mean he got Kovalev. Just not sure what he'd give up for him... Anywayz, now that they've gone and said something about it though, chances are nothing is going to happen.

We don't have enough trade bait to land Bertuzzi. Ribeiro and Zednik have value but I doubt Vancouver would trade Bert for them. It would be nice to see Zhog and Bert on the same line. They'd be the most feared line in the NHL.:lol:

WEird, for some reason It said that I had posted the same thing twice... so I deleted the "duplicated" message. However, now my whole post was deleted... so I'll try to remember what I said:

Vancover might be looking for a young goaltender... but I don't want to see the habs give that much up.

Bert says he wants to stay in Vancouver, and why not... they've got a good chance at the cup this season if their goaltending situation holds up...

(my post seemed longer than that... but wtv)

Sykora would be nice for the right price. Sykoras shot was marvelous at least in the NJ days but I would NOT give up Zednik for him. Bertuzzi... This is a guy I would almost give up any player on the team for. (maybe not Koivu or Kovalev)

Think of a line with Bertuzzi - Koivu - Kovalev...

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

I have totally no opinion about Todd. It's just that i havent seen him play that much. Why should he come to the habs (big guy in front of net that takes the heat of K&K)

But what else, it's not like he's performing in Van city.

Could someone explain why?

Simple, Bertuzzi is one of the best (if not the best) power forward in the league. We don't have guys going in front of the net and crashing the net, especially in PP.

Also, is big, mean and checks hard, which we don't have. Did you see the Habs disappear like a bunch of woose last night once Edmonton starting to hit them hard. Everyone knows that the Habs have a tendency to disappear when it starts to get rough.

More over, Bertuzzi is Latendresse role model, so having him would be a great influence for him next year.

By the way, he has 9 goals and 27 pts in 31 games so far this year, not that bad, expecially compared to our players. Besides, a chnage of scenary could do him some good and try to imagine this line:

Bertuzzi-Koivu-Kovalev

Man I'm druling just thinking about it.

Has everybody lost their faith in Ribs?!

I don't know why we have such high demands? Remember that last season was Ribeiros first season as a regular! Same goes for Ryder. This is the sophomore season for Ryder and almost for Ribs.

Originally posted by ch_nl

Has everybody lost their faith in Ribs?!

I don't know why we have such high demands? Remember that last season was Ribeiros first season as a regular! Same goes for Ryder. This is the sophomore season for Ryder and almost for Ribs.

For the moment, Ribs is only in the way. If we got Bertuzzi for Zednik (impossible but whatever) then we'd have:

Bertuzzi-Koivu-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom

Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Begin

Ribeiro is bad for a 4th line player. He can't check. Also, Zhog is trapped on the 4th line. No one on our top 6 could be traded so that means Zhog will never get his icetime. That would probably lead to him getting sent down. Unless we moved a checker down a line, made Higgins check and flipped Zhog up to the second. Or we could just switch Zhog and Higgins. Both can be sent down without clearing waivers anyway.

But this is a waste of time since this trade won't take place.

Ribs probably mistranslated Sophomore and thought that he should play 'more soft' this year.. he is a disgrace and a bad exaample for the rookies.. i would love to see him gone for an upgraded veteran. the great thing about having a young team with lots of up and coming talent is that you can trade for a guy that will be ufa soon and it doesnt hurt you because one of your prospects needed the roster spot anyway.

Bertuzzi would be nice..but wont happen..can you imagine how HE would handle the media pressure here after just going through this whole steve moore thing.. i think hed rather be in nashville where no one gives a damn about hockey.

I think whatever move is made, will likely to be Zednik and you could surely write it down that Ribeiro will probably and i'm sorry Ribs lovers, he will probably be a "throw-in" to a deal. I think getting rid of him will be addition by subtraction, we have the players to replace him and I'd rather see work ethic than talent on my team any day, look at Calgary as an example. He wouldn't survive one shift for Sutter and he shouldn't here either

Alright me and my firend big habs fans been talking about this for a long long time ever since sykora was in the market.

The best thing would be to trade ribeiro because he is not worth anything and can not skate, is weak, slow, bad checker, bad in face off, and bad defensivly so in the end trade ribeiro and bonk for sykora.

Even though i realy like zednik he is a force when hes on his game but how much longer do we have to wait....i certainly dont want to wait much longer for this slump to end.

So lets say these would be the lines if ribeiro and bonk get traded.

Sykora-Koivu-Kovalev(2 big players causing lots of room)

Zednik-Plekanec-Perezhogin

Bulis-Higgins-Sundstrum

Begin-Murray-Dagenais

Now gainey can do what he wants with zednik or ryder, wich ever he wants to keep and deal either of them for a better Dman, then we have 2 scary scoring lines with speed.

Originally posted by koivu-11

Alright me and my firend big habs fans been talking about this for a long long time ever since sykora was in the market.

The best thing would be to trade ribeiro because he is not worth anything and can not skate, is weak, slow, bad checker, bad in face off, and bad defensivly so in the end trade ribeiro and bonk for sykora.

Even though i realy like zednik he is a force when hes on his game but how much longer do we have to wait....i certainly dont want to wait much longer for this slump to end.

So lets say these would be the lines if ribeiro and bonk get traded.

Sykora-Koivu-Kovalev(2 big players causing lots of room)

Zednik-Plekanec-Perezhogin

Bulis-Higgins-Sundstrum

Begin-Murray-Dagenais

Now gainey can do what he wants with zednik or ryder, wich ever he wants to keep and deal either of them for a better Dman, then we have 2 scary scoring lines with speed.

They're trading Sykora to dump salary. You're trade would make Anaheim gain, give or take, half a million dollars.

you want to get rid of 3 forwards and get only 1 in return.

True, it might makes sense to flip a forward for a dman, but your solution leaves dags on the fourth line. Any fantasy scenario that includes dags is suspect.

ribs and bonk is too much for sykora... in any event why would a team looking to dump salary pick up bonk's?

Originally posted by sakiqc

New Poll on HW Frontpage: Do you think Gainey will make a move before christmas (in the next week or so)?

www.habsworld.net

Considering the Christmas Trade freeze period begins Midnight Sunday night, I doubt it.

Unless the Habs play like crap tomorrow night (which isn't impossible) and Gainey is fed up.

In regards to Bertuzzi, considering the Canucks will probably have to free up cash to acquire a first-string goalie (luongo makes 2.5m, I think the Canucks only have less than a million in cap room), I'm sure the Canucks will likely accept a salary-ladened deal for Berty.

What I mean is, the return value he will place on Bertuzzi in any deal would a mix of players and opportunity cost. The value of freeing up cap space might be something to consider.

If the habs can put together a mix of players worth about 3m-3.5m, I'm sure the Canucks would look at it more than if another team offered better players but who totalled 4-5m, which wouldn't help their cap room situation (assuming, of course, the players the habs would include are decent i.e Zednik, Bulis, Souray, Rivet, etc)

Originally posted by simonus

you want to get rid of 3 forwards and get only 1 in return.

True, it might makes sense to flip a forward for a dman, but your solution leaves dags on the fourth line. Any fantasy scenario that includes dags is suspect.

ribs and bonk is too much for sykora... in any event why would a team looking to dump salary pick up bonk's?

Ok well fine then we shall put bonk on waivers because i dont think many people would pick up his salery, trade ribeiro and i dont think burke is a moron iam sure he is the first to realize ribeiro stinks this year.

But also quality over quantatie so 2 players that doing better then sykora would be a plus, because he is rebuilding his team you have to think of also and we dont know what he really wants.