Spelling Bees

alfredoh2009

this is getting to me, blame cabin fever for a year and a half of covid shut-in, please take note:

L-e-h-k-o-n-e-n

T-o-f-f-o-l-i

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

this is getting to me, blame cabin fever for a year and a half of covid shut-in, please take note:

L-e-h-k-o-n-e-n

T-o-f-f-o-l-i

Hope getting it helps your BP ... I have some sympathy for spelling errors as fingers sometimes fail to do what they are told ... spellcheck can help with some names ... when you first use them if you have the system to "learn" the correct spelling if it doesn't recognize the name, and thereafter catch errors

My bugaboo is the overuse of "amount" ... I was taught that it is for things you can't count ... so, for example, when drinking draft from a keg it is the amount of beer I drank last night, but with bottles it is the number of beers I had last night.

A thread for The Lounge, but you've hooked me.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

My bugaboo is the overuse of "amount" ... I was taught that it is for things you can't count ... so, for example, when drinking draft from a keg it is the amount of beer I drank last night, but with bottles it is the number of beers I had last night.

I am right there with you on "amount" vs. "quantity". This comes up a lot for my job and it drives me absolutely bonkers. A close second for me is "bring" vs. "take."  

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Part of spelling errors are my damn auto correct. If I misspelled a name once my phone will always change my correct spelling to the erroneous one. 

I love and hate my phone 

I'd say autocorrect does more good than harm overall, but especially as a hockey fan it is very frustrating trying to talk about players.

My biggest annoyance, though, is that no matter how many times I use the word "were" it changes it to we're 90% of the time. 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

L-e-h-k-o-n-e-n

T-o-f-f-o-l-i

C-h-i-a-r-o-t

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Part of spelling errors are my damn auto correct. If I misspelled a name once my phone will always change my correct spelling to the erroneous one. 

I love and hate my phone 

You should be able to disable autocorrect and have it just highlight what it thinks are spelling issues. That's what I do on my phone ...

22 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I love and hate my phone 

I want to throw my phone some days.  Is it just me, or has autocorrect gotten worse over the years?  I swear my old Galaxy S2 made far more logical choices than my current phone.

Just now, sbhatt said:

I want to throw my phone some days.  Is it just me, or has autocorrect gotten worse over the years?  I swear my old Galaxy S2 made far more logical choices than my current phone.

The combination of autocorrect and my big hands are a recipe for consistent spelling mistakes for me.

@sbhatt @hab29RETIRED my phone is to blame for quite a few of mine too

I usually have to go back and edit the post 

It doesn’t help that my old Apple 5s has a cracked screen that makes it annoying to navigate the editing pages

• 2 weeks later...

Darn it, can’t remember that guy’s name spelling

H-e-l-l-e-b-u-y-c-k

Edited by alfredoh2009
Darn it

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I have a growing pet peeve with news media - CBC, cnn,  CTV, cp24

We are not the CanadiAns

We are the Montreal CanadiEns

Les Glorieux

CBC and CTV, too? CNN is not surprising but the Canadian media surely should be getting it right ...