Habs-Jets Series Discussion Thread

Trizzak

29 minutes ago, bbp said:

Oullet really getting played above Romanov?

TSN Report said Oullet or Romanov. I shudder at the thought of a Gustavson- Oullet pairing. 

It’s important to close out the series for so many solid reasons - but I’d also like to see Romanov get the chance to either prove DD correct or false tonight once and for all. 

16 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

It’s important to close out the series for so many solid reasons - but I’d also like to see Romanov get the chance to either prove DD correct or false tonight once and for all. 

Well DD was wrong about KK and Caufield so I’m sure he is also wrong about Romanov 

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If there is a game five on Wednesday, the start time has now been set for 8 PM EST.

A lot of online chatter that is implying that the Jets are done. I hope that all the Habs are all thinking like Gallagher and want to put the Jets away without giving them a glimmer of hope. 

1 minute ago, PMAC said:

A lot of online chatter  from Habs fans and media,—I’m looking at you Tony Marinaro—is implying that the Jets are done. I hope that all the Habs are all thinking like Gallagher and are focused on putting the Jets away without giving them a glimmer of hope. 

24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Well DD was wrong about KK and Caufield so I’m sure he is also wrong about Romanov 

If they plan Oulette before Romanov, I think we may have to start seriously wondering whether Romanov is all he has been cracked up to be. These coaches watched him closely all season and have Ouelette above him on the depth chart - ? I mean, ouch.

2 hours ago, bbp said:

Oullet really getting played above Romanov?

I thought he played better than expected last August and sounds like coach's really have numerous issues with Romanov's play.

59 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Series clinching game and what the heck, lets just toss the kid out there and fingers crossed he doesnt f'up royally. 

46 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If a young forward screws up, not near as dangerous as having a rookie d-man do same and can be pasted to bench and still be 11 forwards to play.

55 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If they plan Oulette before Romanov, I think we may have to start seriously wondering whether Romanov is all he has been cracked up to be. These coaches watched him closely all season and have Ouelette above him on the depth chart - ? I mean, ouch.

Ducharme was quoted as saying "Romanov or Ouellet". I don't know whether the order had meaning, but that's the order he used.

40 minutes ago, DON said:

Series clinching game and what the heck, lets just toss the kid out there and fingers crossed he doesnt f'up royally. 

That’s not it at all. 

it’s if Petry can’t or shouldn’t play, THEN now is the time. Certainly before Ouelette or before rushing Merrill back into play. 

Romanov should be the next to draw in. 

I'd like to see Romanov in.

But, at this point, I have to accept that Ducharme is not an idiot. And his job is to win, first and foremost. A GM has a strategy and long-term plans, but a coach needs to use the players he has to his advantage to win now. If he thinks Romanov is an issue (don't know why) I'm not going to dismiss him out of hand.

2 hours ago, DON said:

I thought he played better than expected last August and sounds like coach's really have numerous issues with Romanov's play.

What concerns me is that in the break after the season DD spoke of how he/they was/were working with KK to get his game on track but I have not heard (may have missed) anything about anyone working with Romanov.

53 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

What concerns me is that in the break after the season DD spoke of how he/they was/were working with KK to get his game on track but I have not heard (may have missed) anything about anyone working with Romanov.

Ducharme has said that he's working with Romanov, and Romanov knows the situation. But he doesn't want to discuss this in public.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I can't beleive that they would play Ouellet ahead of Romanov. The difference between the two players is huge (in favor of Romanov). 

23 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I can't beleive that they would play Ouellet ahead of Romanov. The difference between the two players is huge (in favor of Romanov). 

Like every other homo sapiens EXCEPT the Habs' coaching staff, I agree. But this is the same group that only gives Kulak ice-time if God Himself descends and twists their collective arms. In short, they seem prone to decisions about the D which seem strange to us mere mortals.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Like every other homo sapiens EXCEPT the Habs' coaching staff, I agree. But this is the same group that only gives Kulak ice-time if God Himself descends and twists their collective arms. In short, they seem prone to decisions about the D which seem strange to us mere mortals.

Yeah. But they have won six straight with those strange decisions, so maybe Ducharme knows what he is doing.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah. But they have won six straight with those strange decisions, so maybe Ducharme knows what he is doing.

You beat me to replying something like that

I do not care who they choose to play as long as they win tonight

the Coaching staff has earned my trust to make the best decision 

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yep, hard to argue with results.

I do wonder whether Romanov - who was projected by some knowledgable people as a future top-pairing guy - is not as well-regarded within the organization. Yes, yes, I get it, he is only 21 years old. But between his playoff benching and his low points totals, his rookie experience has not exactly screamed "dominant future defender."

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yep, hard to argue with results.

I do wonder whether Romanov - who was projected by some knowledgable people as a future top-pairing guy - is not as well-regarded within the organization. Yes, yes, I get it, he is only 21 years old. But between his playoff benching and his low points totals, his rookie experience has not exactly screamed "dominant future defender."

He was always touted as a more mobile Emelin

a shutdown D with a bit of upside

He performed better than that in his rookie year; but seems to have plateau’ed

it seems like the coaching staff is working with him to better manage the puck and his energy where at the end of the season he tended to take long’ish shifts and play himself out of position

his mobility helped him during the regular season, as well as his cardio.

but that is not  enough for the playoffs

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't think there is any doubt who the more talented defenceman is. If they played Ouelette ahead of him I would be really disappointed. It would be a case of being really really overly concerned with a rookie mistake. 

Then again he played Staal ahead of some guys I thought should play and Staal has done more than ok.