Jaroslav Halak

mathieug

After the Long Beach Ice Dogs activated Jaroslav Halak off IR the Montreal Canadiens reassigned the goaltender to the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL).

Halak, 20, has appeared in three games with the Ice Dogs this season, earning a record of 1-0-0, with a 1.07 goals-against average and a .957 save percentage. In 2004-05, the native of Bratislava, Slovakia played for the Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL), posting 24 wins, 17 losses, and four ties, with a 2.78 goals-against average and a .913 save percentage. He was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the 9th round, 271st overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

After the Long Beach Ice Dogs activated Jaroslav Halak off IR the Montreal Canadiens reassigned the goaltender to the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL).

Halak, 20, has appeared in three games with the Ice Dogs this season, earning a record of 1-0-0, with a 1.07 goals-against average and a .957 save percentage. In 2004-05, the native of Bratislava, Slovakia played for the Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL), posting 24 wins, 17 losses, and four ties, with a 2.78 goals-against average and a .913 save percentage. He was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the 9th round, 271st overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

thanks for the info. the kid looks good.. :):):D

• 5 weeks later...

2005-06 Long Beach Ice Dogs (ECHL) 12 GP, 6 wins - 2 losses, 1.87 GAA, 0.935 Sv% (246 saves), 2SO

This former 9th round pick (271 overall) is looking good.

I never thought of much of him but I had no idea he was only 20 years old. We'll see if he can amount to anything. Great for a 9th rounder though.

• 4 weeks later...

With Yann Danis practising in Montréal, the Bulldogs recalled Halak.

Halak, 20, has played in 20 games for the Long Beach Ice Dogs this season.

He's 11-4-2, with a 2.05 goals-against average, and a 0.932 save percentage in his first year of professional hockey.

The native of Bratislava, Slovakia had two previous stints with the Bulldogs in 2005-06, but did not see any action.

the next tomas vokoun ??

my very thought... you must be very bright, handsome and a wildly popular person (just like humble little old me... :blink::wacko: )

I agree. Halak's situation is very similar to Vokoun's a few years back. Vokoun was doing a very good job in the minors, and was a solid prospect but unfortunately, he was also behind 2 young Quebec goalies (Theodore and Thibeault). In my opinion, Halak has more potential than Danis, but Danis will always get the first opportunity over Halak. And then there is Theodore, Huet (might resign after this season after all), and of course the potential bluechip prospect Carey Price.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that Halak will never get a chance with the Habs... (heck, if they really have to, I they'll probably recall Michaud before him too!).

I agree. Halak's situation is very similar to Vokoun's a few years back. Vokoun was doing a very good job in the minors, and was a solid prospect but unfortunately, he was also behind 2 young Quebec goalies (Theodore and Thibeault). In my opinion, Halak has more potential than Danis, but Danis will always get the first opportunity over Halak. And then there is Theodore, Huet (might resign after this season after all), and of course the potential bluechip prospect Carey Price.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that Halak will never get a chance with the Habs... (heck, if they really have to, I they'll probably recall Michaud before him too!).

I've got to see Halak in the Q and he's going to overachieve. There's still lot to work on technically, but he's athletic and competitive. Watching him steal games for the scrappy bunch of Lewiston last season gave me flashbacks of Hasek in Buffalo years ago. And indeed I'm scared that Halak turns into a Hasek-Vokoun-Kipprusoff type of goalie. I wouldn't be surprised if Halak became to Price what Hasek became to Belfour, Vokoun to Theodore and Kiprussoff to Nabokov.

Mind you, that makes us deep in nets with Danis who could reach the same level as Price or Halak in his own time, and Heino-Lindhberg who seems to be developping slowly but surely. With Theodore and Huet still good for at least 3-4 more years in the league, Habs fan can count on getting some assets for a couple of those 5 goalies.

Edited by KoZed

Should be interesting to see what happens with all the goalies next season. What will Gainey do with the NHL spots? Only Theodore and Halak are under contract for next year so far.

Theodore- What the heck happened? He's looked good, bad, average and just about everything else this year but what will become of him? Can he rebound, has he lost it, will he be moved. No one knows at this point but it's got to be very tough on him and very tough for the organization to figure out what to do.

Huet- With his stellar play does he return next year, or will he want to be a #1 somewhere else. Assuming Theodore is back next year (which is what I personally think will happen) do they resign Huet for the backup and put Danis in Hamilton for another year?

Danis- Is he ready to be an NHL backup next year? He's been very good over his last two seasons, look forward to seeing how he continues to develop. I think I've always been higher on him then most people, I really like the way he plays, often looks like a robot in nets. His rebound control has not been great this year and he can be beat up high as he drops down too soon at times. He's proven to be a very good AHLer but who knows how he will fare in the NHL. Imo before the Theodore meltdown, I had expected next season to be Theo/Danis with the Habs, Halak/Michaud in Hamilton, Heino in Long Beach.

Halak- He's having a great year, I fully expect him to be in Hamilton next year. But if Danis is back then he's not going to play a ton unless he really stands on his head since Danis is an All Star in the AHL.

Heino-Lindberg- Will likely be in either the SEL or brought over next year. He's getting very little time in nets on a very good team. Early in the season SEL fans were tabbing for the rookie of the year in the SEL but then his ice time just vanished, despite a gaa under 2 and a great save %. He's put up stellar numbers in the tier-2 league when there were several NHLers (Ryder was considered the top player in the league from what I'm told) The Habs do not have to sign him till june of 2007, so perhaps they let him stay over there one more year. I spoke to him and his dad and his dad said he wants to come over, but that was at the development camp 2 years ago. I was very impressed with him at the camp, thought he was much better then Halak and Lacasse, very aggressive in net. I hope he's brought over, would love to see him as the starter in Long Beach where he could get a ton of starts and the Habs could slowly work with him.

Michaud- Imo he wasn't all that strong in the QMJHL and was more average in the ECHL. I got to see him several times last year for Long Beach and he was solid but just couldn't handle the starters job, so the team had to bring in Centomo since they went from 3rd in the league to 3rd in their division and on the brink of falling out of a playoff spot until they got Centomo. But for whatever reason he seems to do better in Hamilton. Plus he has experience. It's a trickle down situation. We just don't have room for all of these goalies, so who stays and who goes. Michaud I hope is NOT the starter in Hamilton next year. I can live with him as the backup. If it's say Halak-Michaud next year, then I would expect Halak to be the starter since he won the starters job over Michaud in Long Beach this year. When Halak came back from injury the team caught fire, winning something like 13 of 15 games with him in net for many of the starts and all the tough starts against the top teams. If Danis is in the NHL, and if Heino is signed, I'd rather see Michaud in Hamilton since two rookies in Hamilton would be risky, although it could be better for the young goalies development.

Lacasse- Last on the goalie food chain, at this point I'd be surprised if he's signed by June 1st. But with goalies it's hard to say how they will do, so perhaps they give him a shot in Long Beach. Personally I'd look at signing a overager from the CHL. Perhaps Tordjman from Moncton or Desjardins from the remparts would be worth a look at camp.

Did you see Jaroslav Halaks' first American Hockey League game?

A 3-2 win over the Binghamton Senators. The first year pro stopped 38 shots as well as three of four shootout attempts.

Binghamton outshot Hamilton 7-3 in OT.

Andrei Kostitsyn scored his 11th goal of the season and was the games' second star.

Don't get too excited ;) as we say in french:

Une hirondelle ne fait pas le printemps.

Halak has a shot because I do think Huet will get signed to just get traded next year! Huet has no more than 3 years left only becuase he prefers to go back to Europe ... If Gainey signs him for for less than 1.2 Mill then he stays if he is signed for more than he gets traded to a team who needs a starting Goalie! and we get in return first class Prospect!

Mr Halak earned his first career AHL shutout in his second AHL start. Jaroslav Halak stopped all 21 shots he faced as Hamilton defeated the San Antonio Rampage 1-0.

James Sanford scored the game’s only goal 2:09 into OT.

Halak was named the game’s third star.

AHL-SO #2 for Jaroslav Halak. Halak stopped all 25 shots he faced.

It was Halak’s second shutout in his last three games, and his third win in only his fourth career AHL start.

In 4 games Halak faced 124 shots and allowed 5 goals for an impressive .959 Sv%.

Halak was named the game’s third star.

Halak is only making our goalie pipeline look better and better. Notice how the Bulldogs sudenly started winning games? Or is that due to the hard work of Dagenais?

Halak is only making our goalie pipeline look better and better. Notice how the Bulldogs sudenly started winning games? Or is that due to the hard work of Dagenais?

Since Francoeur joined the coaching staff the Bulldogs have 10 wins and only 6 losses. Dagenais is really lighting it up in Hamilton.

Since Francoeur joined the coaching staff the Bulldogs have 10 wins and only 6 losses. Dagenais is really lighting it up in Hamilton.

13pts in 24 games is for from being impressive