Jaroslav Halak

mathieug

This is sure an amazing professional start for this 85-born player. He clearly dominated the ECHL, and is still doing in the AHL. Now, I don't want to make any comparison because it's only been 5 games, and they are both top-end blue-chip prospects, but so far he's doing better than both M-A Fleury and Kari Lehtonen did at the same age in the AHL.

My main concern with him is size; he's a very small goaltender, and with the extra room the NHL has given players by moving the red line back a couple of feet, this could hurt his chances; just look how much Theodore has been affected by it. Fortunately, his goaletending style is much different as he relies more on reflexes and instinct than "proper" positionning.

Also, my other concern is the goaltending depth of the organization, especially if Huet gets a new contract this summer. After Theodore and Huet, Danis will probably always get the best opportunities since he's a more than decent French-Canadian prospect. Finally, by the time the goaltending pipeline is unclogged, assuming they don't draft another goalie in the 1st round because he's the "best available player", he'll have to fight with Carey Price. Thus, he may never play a single second for the Montreal Canadiens.

Edited by CerebusClone

Halak will be our back-up behind Price for a while. But for now we need to keep him in case of one of our goalies busts or cracks ( like Theo).

@CerebusClone:

"...just look how much Theodore has been affected by it. Fortunately, his goaletending style is much different as he relies more on reflexes and instinct than "proper" positionning."

Theodore is also a reflex goaltender. He's been timed as the fastest goalie in the World to get from an upright position onto his knees and into his butterfly. He relies on his lightning fast reflexes and his posiitoning is awful. I've never seen Halak play but your description sounds like Theodore. Succesful goalies using the style are Brodeur and Hasek.

Jaroslav Halak backstopped the Hamilton Bulldogs to a 2-1 overtime win over the Manitoba Moose on Friday.

Halak made 33 saves on 34 shots for the win.

Three Stars

1. HAM - Jaroslav Halak

2. MTB - Wade Flaherty

3. HAM - J.F. Jacques

6GP-4W-1.47GAA-.952Sv%

Not too bad. Not too bad at all for the 1st year pro.

that guy's improving every year...I'm sure he's the real thing. when we trade him, let's make sure he goes in the western conference

that guy's improving every year...I'm sure he's the real thing. when we trade him, let's make sure he goes in the western conference

Psh! Whatever happened to the platoon squad? Imagine having both Halak AND Price in net. *drools* :D

I can remember people being this happy with Danis. Thats it with Hot streaks. But we are very fortunated with Goalies. We got Huet and Aebi up front. And Halak/Danis en Price coming up. It's realy nice to have so much talent on the G spot, but it's also a bit sad, cuz we don't need so many Goalies.

We have to wait who has the best progress during a couple of years.(and not make Halak almost god after a couple of games in the AHL)

Michaud has been that big a talent, but he didnt make it. But nothing against Halak, he's doing a good job...

I can remember people being this happy with Danis. Thats it with Hot streaks. But we are very fortunated with Goalies. We got Huet and Aebi up front. And Halak/Danis en Price coming up. It's realy nice to have so much talent on the G spot, but it's also a bit sad, cuz we don't need so many Goalies.

We have to wait who has the best progress during a couple of years.(and not make Halak almost god after a couple of games in the AHL)

Michaud has been that big a talent, but he didnt make it. But nothing against Halak, he's doing a good job...

As long as we don't lose Halak à la Vokoun style...meaning for nothing.

Poor Michaud. I remember when the kid was rushed into NHL duty when Hackett, Theo and Garon (?) went down with injury..made headlines as a teenager..not much since then unfortunately.

Due to injuries to both Theodore (concussion, merci Mr Varada) and Hackett (dislocated left shoulder) the Habs were reduced to playing their no. 3 goalie Mathieu Garon. The next goaltender on the depth chart -Vadim Tarasov (Québec Citadelles)- was out with a sore groin. Olivier Michaud got recalled from Shawinigan to back up Garon. The 30th october against the Edmonton Oilers Michaud came into the game to start the third period after Garon(?) got pulled. Michaud stopped the 14 shots he faced.

• 4 weeks later...

Long Beach

Jaroslav Halak 20GP-11W/.932 Sv%/2.05 GAA

Greg Hewitt 43GP-17W/.900 Sv%/2.95 GAA

Olivier Michaud 16GP- 6W/.888 Sv%/3.40 GAA

Hamilton

Jaroslav Halak 12GP- 7W/.931 Sv%/2.15 GAA

Yann Danis 38GP-16W/.903 Sv%/2.91 GAA

Jeff Deslauriers 13GP- 4W/.897 Sv%/3.15 GAA

Olivier Michaud 14GP- 6W/.893 Sv%/3.29 GAA

The former Lewiston MAINEiac is having one solid rookie season. By the way, I like his former Lewiston backup as well, Jonathan Bernier. Any Habs scouts around here?

Montreal seems to be pretty good at that....Hainsey.....

and they got lucky with mathieu garon 3- years ago

Halak is the only of the goalies playing for either Long Beach or Hamilton with a winning record... and he did it for BOTH of the struggling clubs! :)

I never expected much of him but he's having a great year.

• 5 months later...