Markov/kovalev Named To Russian Team

Psycing

Not that it should be much of a surprise... but Andrei Markov will suit up for the Russian Squad along with Alexei Kovalev this February.

Markov is having a fantastic season, and it's great to see him get rewarded for his play by being named to the team.

And well, Kovalev is Kovalev. Heh.

Here's a link to TSN's report of the Russian Roster.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=148045&hubname=nhl

Gotta believe that if Perezhogin had been given more ice time, that he'd have a much better chance at making the Russian Squad :monkey:. Oh well, He'll be there next time around ;).

no surprise there either. :D

as to perezhogin, he's still young and still learning the game. i'm sure that there are a LOT of talented players for russia. he may make it next olympics or the one after that if he continues to progress like he can

Of course Z hog did not make the cut there are a lot of talented Russians everywhere and any Russian anywhere playing less than 10 min a game at any level was not going to make this team. He did not have the opportunity to, I do agree though if Julien knew how to coach rookies he would have made this team all one has to do is look at his output when he is given the opportunity.

On this note does anyone think Gainey will send Plex, Higgins or Zhog to the minors (if they don’t have to clear waivers) over the Olympic break to keep their legs fresh or do you think that they will be given the rest time like the remainder of the non Olympic bound Canadiens.

Only Perezhogin can clear waivers, the other two can't and probably won't clear waivers if they were placed there.

Markov is going to play one huge roll in Russia's defence. One of the announcers on RDS said not to be surprised if you see Markov play 30 minutes a game.

No surprises there. I haven't heard on whether Kovy will captain them again. I guess they haven't announced a captain yet. Kasparaitis could be a good pick.

No surprises there. I haven't heard on whether Kovy will captain them again. I guess they haven't announced a captain yet. Kasparaitis could be a good pick.

Hm, so no word on the team captain yet. I'd like to see Kovy get it, but Kasper is definitely a legimate contender. It's funny how almost no one on the tsNazi board mentions Markov at all. Won't they be in for a surprise.

Oh, and yay for fixing the boards! Good job guys!