Habs-Golden Knights Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

11 hours ago, GHT120 said:

They played together for three years (85/86-87/88) with the Windsor Compuware Spitfires in the OHL, and coached together with the Detroit Junior Red Wings for a year (94/95) ... so they go way back ... also, don't think it is at all unusual if the coaches are friends.

Yeah, I don’t call my elementary teacher that I went to school with in 85 about my current math problems, not do I consult my old buddy from high school about my current girlfriends so I think this is very unusual.

Not to mention the lack of sensitivity to call a guy who just lost out of playoffs to discuss the team that beat him out four straight...

the whole idea is lame AF and looks like a classless turd.

Always though Vegas was given way too much benefit upon expansion and this just adds another layer of disdain.

along with those ugly helmets, I can’t wait to see them get beat by les Habs.

Bringing in a former champion of the organization to privately motivate your team, that is class that comes from history. Vegas doesn’t have that and has no history to pull from so I guess they are grasping at straws. 

9 hours ago, Helmethead said:

Even after beating both the Leafs and Winnipeg we STILL don’t get the respect we deserve. 

Oh well. 

Time to make them eat crow again. 

Habs in 5

Just because. 

In Dom L's preview in the Athletic, his model predicts a 22.3% probability of a Habs win. And then he writes:

Since 2010 there have been 23 series according to this model where a team had a 25 percent chance or less to win a series. Non-Montreal teams are 2-18. The Canadiens are 3-0, beating Toronto this year, Boston in 2014 and Washington in 2010.

So, yeah. And he admits his model undervalues Price in the playoffs. In closing, he says:

That’s what everyone expects, but Montreal is Team Chaos — thriving as a heavy underdog for the past decade. Play this series 100 times and Vegas should win about 80 of them, but Montreal is only looking for one and have made a habit of figuring out the exact way of getting there three times before. This is obviously Vegas’ series to lose, but count Montreal out at your own peril.

• Like 1

Suzuki(8pts) vs Pacioretty(8pts) 1 coming up!

Just hope Habs can somehow continue to keep winning races to pucks, simply outwork the opponent and Price plays solid.

Habs supposed to be golfing awhile ago, so its all bonus stuff now; but, will the bounces keep seemingly go their way? (aside from the Evans incident of course)

43 minutes ago, DON said:

... Habs supposed to be golfing awhile ago, so its all bonus stuff now; but, will the bounces keep seemingly go their way? (aside from the Evans incident of course)

And in a VERY perverse context that "bounce" went the Habs' way as well as it took Scheifele out of the series.

Both teams should have excellent goaltending, we hope that Price will have the edge, but I think the more critical element will be the quality of shots. If Habs can continue to drive to the front of the net, and continue to keep the Vegas shooters to the outside, Price will be able to deal with the shots far more easily, and the rebounds will be less dangerous. And we'll have a decent chance of winning this.

I suspect Vegas will have a similar plan, though.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

And in a VERY perverse context that "bounce" went the Habs' way as well as it took Scheifele out of the series.

Sure, it took Scheifele out of the series, but it wasn't really a bounce, it was a conscious decision by Scheifele which didn't exactly pay off for him or the team.

And the Habs had already, by that time, won the first game pretty convincingly.

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Sure, it took Scheifele out of the series, but it wasn't really a bounce, it was a conscious decision by Scheifele which didn't exactly pay off for him or the team.

And the Habs had already, by that time, won the first game pretty convincingly.

O...K  .....  "bounce" must always have a literal interpretation ... and Scheifele being out had no effect on the series.

With cross-border travel permitted, there is no longer a Canada-only group of officials.  The good news is that we'll see some different officials now.  The bad news is that Chris Lee somehow made the cut for the third round.

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2021/06/31850/nhl-announces-2021-stanley-cup-semifinal-referees-and-linesmen/

Good piece by Engels here which sums up my own thinking: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-arent-heavy-underdog-oddsmakers-suggest/

VGK are the favourites and deservingly so, what with a sterling 40-16 record. I preferred Colorado precisely because Vegas is built like the Habs, only with a much stronger pedigree of success. On the other hand, I believe our team (?) is bigger and stronger physically, so we’ll need to play up that edge. Fleury has a history of being absolutely atrocious against the Habs, but I suspect that at age 73 he has overcome those mental demons, so we can’t count on that. 

The rational mind says “Vegas in 6.” But Habs in 6-7 would not cause me to fall down in shock. The 2021 playoff Habs are not to be underestimated, even though that is what most of the hockey world keeps doing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

On the other hand, I believe our team (?) is bigger and stronger physically, so we’ll need to play up that edge.

I wouldn't say that.  Vegas is extremely physical and quite a bit bigger up front than the Habs are.  Montreal has the more physical back end, however.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

O...K  .....  "bounce" must always have a literal interpretation ... and Scheifele being out had no effect on the series.

If you feel that the Habs only won the two series due to lucky bounces, you are of course free to believe that.

And Scheifele making a stupid move and getting suspended is fundamentally not any different from Gallagher taking a bad penalty or Gustafsson making a mistake that leads to a goal. Except Scheifele's mistake cost him and his team a lot more. It's got nothing to do with luck, though.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

putting bounce into "quotes" doesn't save anyone from making up something or trying to pass personal opinion for "facts"... more like an illusion to which you attach as much meaning meaning as to the facts.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

“I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy. ”
― Richard Bach, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Interesting quote, pretty much summarizes how you interact with the forum. I have to give you kudos for being true to yourself

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

If you feel that the Habs only won the two series due to lucky bounces, you are of course free to believe that.

And Scheifele making a stupid move and getting suspended is fundamentally not any different from Gallagher taking a bad penalty or Gustafsson making a mistake that leads to a goal. Except Scheifele's mistake cost him and his team a lot more. It's got nothing to do with luck, though.

I am sorry my recognition of a FACTOR that was involved in the result of the series so offends your sensibilities that you twist my words to meet your view of the Habs universe ... The Habs won because Price, the defence and the forwards played better than did the Jets ... NEVER did I state otherwise.  

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

putting bounce into "quotes" doesn't save anyone from making up something or trying to pass personal opinion for "facts"... more like an illusion to which you attach as much meaning meaning as to the facts.

NO, but it saddens me when they do ... but I guess that is my fundamental optimism that the Internet could be better than it is.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Interesting quote, pretty much summarizes how you interact with the forum. I have to give you kudos for being true to yourself

Thank you ... it is a more assertive expression of my philosophy than literal ... I do not seek to offend ... I simply believe that far more of the universe exists between the black&white/us&them/right&wrong/etc. than many internet users.

23 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, I suppose that there is another way to view that too.

i.e. even if they are old friends, if the Vegas Coach needed to call the Jets Coach the very next morning after beating the Avalanche asking him for tips on how to beat the Habs, then the Habs are already in DeBoer's head, and Vegas has already lost the series.  That certainly sounds like its an act of desperation.  The odds are heavily in Vegas's favour, there was absolutely no need for DeBoer to do that.  

How is getting insight about a coach he has never faced and a team he hasn't faced in over a year a desperate move? He'd be a fool not to use every resource at his disposal. All it does is show that he's not taking the Habs lightly.

Anyone else think Fleury gives out and Patches goes ice cold?

While Tatar comes in hot to prove both his current and old team wrong.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Yeah, I don’t call my elementary teacher that I went to school with in 85 about my current math problems, not do I consult my old buddy from high school about my current girlfriends so I think this is very unusual.

Not to mention the lack of sensitivity to call a guy who just lost out of playoffs to discuss the team that beat him out four straight...

the whole idea is lame AF and looks like a classless turd.

Always though Vegas was given way too much benefit upon expansion and this just adds another layer of disdain.

along with those ugly helmets, I can’t wait to see them get beat by les Habs.

Bringing in a former champion of the organization to privately motivate your team, that is class that comes from history. Vegas doesn’t have that and has no history to pull from so I guess they are grasping at straws. 

You don't contact your old teacher about a current math problem because you now have better resources at your disposal. But only Sheldon Keefe has more experience facing Ducharme at the NHL level.  

It sounds from the context that you are no longer close with your old school chum, so of course it would make no sense to seek his advise. But if you are still close and he knows your girlfriend, then why not seek his advise? That is the better analogy here.

Also, the shiny helmets are glorious. Of course, I am a huge Notre Dame fan, so I am partial to shiny gold helmets.

9 minutes ago, bbp said:

While Tatar comes in hot to prove both his current and old team wrong.

I've been giving that a lot of thought. I'd like to see what he could do if re-inserted into the lineup. I normally would have no problem slotting him in over guys like Byron, Lehkonen, or Armia. Lehkonen filled in almost seemlessly for Evans, who had been playing very well himself. Armia-Staal-Perry has shown great chemistry. Byron has definitely contributed, though that line has probably been the least impactful.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I am sorry my recognition of a FACTOR that was involved in the result of the series so offends your sensibilities that you twist my words to meet your view of the Habs universe ... The Habs won because Price, the defence and the forwards played better than did the Jets ... NEVER did I state otherwise.  

Every playoff series in history has lucky bounces.  The teams that win are the ones who capitalize and take advantage of them when the opportunities present themselves. 

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Every playoff series in history has lucky bounces.  The teams that win are the ones who capitalize and take advantage of them when the opportunities present themselves. 

100%

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I just want to point out one huge factor nobody is taking in consideration for this series. 

Vegas doesn't have Yvonne.

and that's a "fact" !

of course, not wanting to offend the VGK's sensibilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I just want to point out one huge factor nobody is taking in consideration for this series. 

Vegas doesn't have Yvonne.

Finally!!! The "Y" factor!!!! She will be Y we win!

8 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

You don't contact your old teacher about a current math problem because you now have better resources at your disposal. But only Sheldon Keefe has more experience facing Ducharme at the NHL level.  

It sounds from the context that you are no longer close with your old school chum, so of course it would make no sense to seek his advise. But if you are still close and he knows your girlfriend, then why not seek his advise? That is the better analogy here.

Also, the shiny helmets are glorious. Of course, I am a huge Notre Dame fan, so I am partial to shiny gold helmets.

No, I don’t call for help because I’m a grown, competent human who is confident in my approach to any challenge. Like any NHL coach should be, like his players haven’t heard about this as well and wonder same issues brought up on this board.

My gf ain’t still friends with my opponent whom as noted haven’t had a close relationship in over a decade, I’d be creeped out by that dirt bag calling her up to pick my brain about anything. #### him, sleeve ball.

And I supposed your opinion doesn’t matter since you obviously can’t tell the difference between a fightin Irish gold helmet that has some semblance of taste behind it, and the car ornament pieces of shit the knights wear.