Habs-Golden Knights Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We certainly didn’t get any suspension “luck” - and that’s what the NHL disciplinary wheel of fortune is - when Chara tried to murder Pactioretty. If anything “luck” went the Bruins way.

But Tavares and Schefile being gone didnt hurt the outcome of both series one bit.

2 hours ago, DON said:

But Tavares and Schefile being gone didnt hurt the outcome of both series one bit.

Oh, I agree, I think we did get a break, or luck, or whatever you want to call it with the injury and suspension (just as we benefited in 93’ from the pens being upset and Turgeon being injured).

but I’m recent years, we have always been screwed over by the bad breaks/luck, when it comes to injuries and NHL discipline. We were ahead against the Canes and got screwed over when Koivu was knocked out, and the culprit, not only got off without any penalty, but also scored critical goals against us. Similarly, we lost Pactioretty on the Chara murder attempt.  So it’s about time we get some breaks/luck going our way.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Oh, I agree, I think we did get a break, or luck, or whatever you want to call it with the injury and suspension (just as we benefited in 93’ from the lens being upset and Turgeon being injured).

but I’m recent years, we have always been screwed over by the bad breaks/luck, when it comes to injuries and NHL discipline. We were ahead against the Canes and got screwed over when Koivu was knocked out, and the culprit, not only got off without any penalty, but also scored critical goals against us. Similarly, we lost Pactioretty on the Chara murder attempt.  So it’s about time we get some breaks/luck going our way.

Could NOT agree more. Good post

17 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

CBS Sports has Tatar listed as injured as of June 11 with and undisclosed injury.

Numerous days ago I noticed that 1 of the US networks had Tatar listed as injured.  I wasn't sure if that info was correct or if they're just assuming that because he isn't playing.    Is he really injured?

Several members here have said this and I agree and think he should play in this series - if he's healthy.   I think it would be fitting if he gets the series winning goal.

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Numerous days ago I noticed that 1 of the US networks had Tatar listed as injured.  I wasn't sure if that info was correct or if they're just assuming that because he isn't playing.    Is he really injured?

Several members here have said this and I agree and think he should play in this series - if he's healthy.   I think it would be fitting if he gets the series winning goal.

Part of me would like to see Tartar play BUT his history in the playoffs is not good and I don't think you mess with a winning lineup. Who would you sit?  Lehkonen is playing great right now. 

48 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

CBS Sports has Tatar listed as injured as of June 11 with and undisclosed injury.

They are the only place I have ever seen an injury of any kind mentioned. The few times they have mentioned a source, it has been a French one. They don't link the source, so I can't know for sure, but something tells me they aren't bothering to translate the French news sources and are just assuming it says that he is out because of injury. If he was hurt, they wouldn't only be talking about the health of Evans, Petty, and Merrill.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Could NOT agree more. Good post

Maybe the worm has turned and a series-changing McSorely-type braincramp by opponent is upcoming?:nuts:

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... So it’s about time we get some breaks/luck going our way.

I doubt ANYONE here disagrees ... I certainly don't ... but at the same time there is no need to deny the breaks/luck/good-fortune when they occur ... otherwise, we essentially endorse the 'Canes fans who ignore the impact of Koivu's near blinding on their Cup win.

50 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

With the Petry injurie it's clear we got a weakness of depth on the D side. VGK exposed that in game 1. If we lose to the VGK I hope Bergevin address this in the off season. 

I also hope Bergevin can add a defenceman as good as Jeff Petry in the off-season. 

So do the fans of 31 other hockey teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I also hope Bergevin can add a defenceman as good as Jeff Petry in the off-season. 

Doesn't have to be as good as Petry just better depth. Look at how well Staal and Perry paid off. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I am still more keen to upgrade the #1 line first.

How much $$ do should you put into defense?

15 hours ago, DON said:

I am still more keen to upgrade the #1 line first.

How much $$ do should you put into defense?

If I were GM, I would consider the options available for both (UFAs, RFAs and trades), prioritize them and start exploring the top 3-5 options ... I agree a proven 1c or an elite winger would be great, but wouldn't want to spend my resources chasing those, get neither and miss out on a top 4 D upgrade because I wouldn't/couldn't pull the trigger while chasing the elusive holy grail.

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If I were GM, I would consider the options available for both (UFAs, RFAs and trades), prioritize them and start exploring the top 3-5 options ... I agree a proven 1c or an elite winger would be great, but wouldn't want to spend my resources chasing those, get neither and miss out on a top 4 D upgrade because I wouldn't/couldn't pull the trigger while chasing the elusive holy grail.

I am thinking if of added an Aho...57pts in 56gms and 11pts in 11playoff games

1 hour ago, DON said:

I am thinking if of added an Aho...57pts in 56gms and 11pts in 11playoff games

I agree ... that would be ideal ... don't know who of that ilk will be available ("rumoured", for example, Huberdeau on trade market, Landeskog as UFA) ... my point was simply that a challenge for any GM is to be able to recognize when chasing that sort of forward becomes a futile pursuant, so that they don't miss out if there is an opportunity to acquire the long-needed top 4 PMLHD.

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Besides saying what you would do and not giving details, how about telling us what those 3-5 options are? 
who are these holy grail players?

I’m a little worried about our own D being banged up. I hated seeing Weber yelling in pain as he shot the puck out in the dying seconds last night. He probably shouldn’t be playing in that condition, and one hard slash to the hand would probably do him in. Petry, God knows what’s up there. At least he’s back, albeit looking demonic. Then there was Edmundson getting crushed into the boards with what looked to me like a play that warranted concussion protocols. 

I know that you always play hurt in the playoffs, but those three a huge minutes-eaters. The more pain they’re in, the harder it will be for us to win. VGK know this and have the heavy forwards to pound away at these vulnerabilities. A source of concern for sure.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m a little worried about our own D being banged up. I hated seeing Weber yelling in pain as he shot the puck out in the dying seconds last night. He probably shouldn’t be playing in that condition, and one hard slash to the hand would probably do him in. Petry, God knows what’s up there. At least he’s back, albeit looking demonic. Then there was Edmundson getting crushed into the boards with what looked to me like a play that warranted concussion protocols. 

I know that you always play hurt in the playoffs, but those three a huge minutes-eaters. The more pain they’re in, the harder it will be for us to win. VGK know this and have the heavy forwards to pound away at these vulnerabilities. A source of concern for sure.

I think the concern is reciprocated for Vegas as well. Habs have been laying the body with force. Petroangelo has been schmucked a few times. Keep tenderizing them like that, and they will be equally weakened physically.

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Besides saying what you would do and not giving details, how about telling us what those 3-5 options are? 
who are these holy grail players?

The discussion was in hypotheticals ... if I had specific rumours or proposals I would post them in the appropriate thread.

No sense speculating until closer to the draft, expansion draft and free agency when more info is available on possible options.

40 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I think the concern is reciprocated for Vegas as well. Habs have been laying the body with force. Petroangelo has been schmucked a few times. Keep tenderizing them like that, and they will be equally weakened physically.

Well, there's a difference between being "banged up" and having broken bones and concussions (as my nephew's football coach used to ask: are you hurt, or are you injured?). In any case, let's hope you're right!!

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, there's a difference between being "banged up" and having broken bones and concussions (as my nephew's football coach used to ask: are you hurt, or are you injured?). In any case, let's hope you're right!!

You're right of course. Petry and Weber are definitely playing injured. I'm just hoping that the Knights get banged up enough to balance things out a bit.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

As long as we can stop the vgk  d from sneaking in for that cross ice back door pass I think we win the series.

But man they're so good at it. 

While I agree that needs to be addressed, that will open up more lanes for their forwards.  I suspect their forwards will score at a higher clip than 1 goal per 2 games moving forward as well.  It's definitely going to be a balancing act.