World Juniors

simonus

I saw most of the game vs. Switzerland last night. Latendresse laid a few good hits, but he wasn't that effective offensively for the most part. He gave away the puck a couple of times which didn't please Sutter, who sat him for a short while. Chipchura didn't do much either. Nobody on Canada was very impressive in that game (other than perhaps Downie... but he's not a Habs prospect).

Hopefully we'll see something more tonight against Norway.

Emelin Has 5 points in 2 games for russia, including a Player of the game award in last nights game vs Slovakia

(1g 4a)

He leads the tournament in scoring for a defensemen.

That's great news... although in the game we played against him... he took a lot of penalties. But he seems like a tough guy :D

That's great news... although in the game we played against him... he took a lot of penalties. But he seems like a tough guy :D

Hes a physical defensive defensemen, obviously not as big as komisarek but with more offensive upside. Whenever he plays against canada though it seems like hes overly physical, like he knows canada is a big physical club and he feels he needs to stand up to them for his team and by doing so takes alot of needless penalties, he did the same thing at last years wjc, he did score a goal however against canada in that series :)

Many draw comparisons to a young Darius Kasparaitis, I think thats a pretty good comparison exept Emelin has more offensive upside and maybe a bit less of a killer instinct.

Edited by rydified

Latendresse is in Sutter's doghouse for not playing with energy and for giving away the puck a few times. He has not been impressive at all. He has given a few hits but not that much and nothing big to watch as an highlight on the news. He doesn't seem confident out there and seems to strugle with the puck. Hopefully he will wake up in the next game.

Chipchura is a favourite of Sutter. He uses him often and he's Canada's #1 PK forward. He has been playing great PK, even creating turnovers and some offensive chances in PK. He's big and physical and has some offensive upside but not a natural goal scorer. Will probably become a great 3rd line center or an average 2nd line center. He has always been labelled a future 3rd line center and it fits him well. Big, physical, strong 2-way, as character and some offensive upside. Bonk's replacement...and I can't wait because he's the opposite of Bonk who seems without character and emotions.

Man I can't stand the TSN coverage of the World Juniors anymore, it's so annoying. Good thing the RDS guys don't do a crap job.

I'm tired of hearing everyone on that TSN staff lose their minds and say the same shit over and over.

McKenzie and McGuire remind me of a bunch of school girls when they talk about Brent Sutter. James Duthie, who's one of my favorite TSN analysts is driving me nuts with his Pogge and Dubnyk jokes, get over it, it's a damn name that sounds funny.

As far as I know, Chipchura has two goals.

Latendresse... I don't know what's going on there. I watched RDS TV during the Norway game. They interviewed his father who said that Guillaume has had a hard time getting going because of the disjointed play due to the lack of self-controal by the Canadian players and the resulting penalties. I suppose there could be something to that.

One thing that makes me wonder is that, despite having super intense play during the team qualifying games, he's not been put on as a mainstay of the team. I can't imagine that he would gear down for such a front-page event as the WJC. It doesn't seem like him. He was highly regarded by most of last year's draft analysts as a guy who plays with heart and brings it to pretty well each game. The only related problem might have been that he plays TOO enthusiastically.

So, something in the dynamics of this team don't ring right with me. It could be that his role hasn't been made clear by Sutter... it could be that Sutter doesn't rate him as highly as most of the media do... it could be that his relative lack of speed is hurting him... it could be that he's hurting... it could be that Sutter doesn't really want him on the team... it could be one or a combination of these or some other things going on.

The only thing of which I'm pretty confident is that I can't imagine him not being a high energy player because of his own choosing (ie. laziness or disinterest).

:hlogo: :king: :hlogo:

Latendresse's play hasn't been great, no doubt about that... But I have a feeling he'll show up for the game against US. Should be interesting to see.

yes, i agree that it hasn't been great... it's just that it's not in character for him... i don't know why. :?-

Latendresse's play hasn't been great, no doubt about that... But I have a feeling he'll show up for the game against US. Should be interesting to see.

Chipchura's playing really well against the USA juniors but I haven't seen Latendresse on the ice yet. I'm really confused by this. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Latendresse had zero ice time against the US. :(

Latendresse had zero ice time against the US. :(

what's to think of this? he's not that bad a player. he's not that much of a drain on the team. they all make mistakes... sheeeeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... what's with sutter anyway?

Mikus has been held pointless, playing on the 3rd line for Slovakia as they have struggled this tournament. Right now they are in the regulation round, and while they are in 1st place, with 3 games to go against Latvia, Norway and the Swiss, if they were to get regulated then they wouldn't be in Sweden for next years wjc's, so fans will have a real hard time seeing him play. But hopefully the Slovaks can get it going since Norway should be the first team out imo, leaving the Slovaks, Swiss and Latvia to fight it out.

Emelin leads all defesemen in scoring with 6 pts. Gets to rest a couple days as Russia has the bye. Hopefully USA can beat the Czech's, so I can get to watch Emelin play against USA. Sounds like he's having a great tournament in both ends, playing on the top pairing, also wears the A for Russia.

Chipchura imo has been very good. Strong on the PK, along the boards, and in his own end. He does have 3 goals and has made some nice passes.

Lats who knows if he will see any time in the next game unless Canada has a big lead. Hopefully he's learning about playing with more intensity and consistency cause the same thing will happen to him with Julien.

I think that Chip and Gui with impressive camps can both make this team. I believe Gui has a better shot at the big club. If not both will be in Hamilton or whoever happens to be the Canadiens AHL affiliate at the time. Emlin with the state of the Canadiens defence core may also have an outside shot at the club as well. He is a great skater and impressive puck mover he may play nicely with Markov.

what's to think of this? he's not that bad a player. he's not that much of a drain on the team. they all make mistakes... sheeeeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... what's with sutter anyway?

All the Sutters are the same and they all favor players who resemble them: talentless & relentless role players. As long as you hack and grind 100% of the time, you'll be a Sutter favorite.

At what point do these guys get contracts? Will Chipchura and Latendresse be playing for Hamilton next year? Any chance of getting Emelin overseas to play NA style?

Chipchura could be in Hamilton this year as soon as Prince Albert's season is over, but will certainly be with the them next year.

Latendresse it's either he makes the Habs or goes back to the Q. Hard to say at this point but he almost made the team this year. Latendresse can not play in Hamilton cause he'll be only 19 and doesn't have 4 full seasons in the CHL.

Emelin who knows what they will do with cause he will make more money in the RSL then he would in Hamilton, so he might not want to come over. But his team Lada just had some major financial problems, where they cut the teams budget by 50 %, so who knows what kind of trouble the team is really in. On the other hand, it appears as though Lada has been difficult to work with since they have caused a lot of problems with the Caps and Alex Semin. Perhaps that's just a one time thing, so we'll see if Gainey can get him over here this summer.

Mikus should be in Slovakia next year I'm guessing. He has to be signed the following summer ('07), so I would just assume they let him stay in the Slovak elite league.

All the Sutters are the same and they all favor players who resemble them: talentless & relentless role players. As long as you hack and grind 100% of the time, you'll be a Sutter favorite.

The Sutters although none have coached to a Stanley Cup victory have been very successful and they do admire talent as well as hard work. Almost every Sutter coached team works hard and I respect that. The Sutters are not afraid of benching anyone to send a message to the team.

So Poulliot takes half a dozen bone-head penalties and does little offensively, but Gui can't get any ice time?

This is what I don't get either. Latendresse can't be that bad or that flat.

I still think there's something not right here. This is the same kid who was highly touted by different draft evaluators as being a high energy guy, to the point of even putting himself out at times. This is the same guy who dominated the rookie camp. This is the guy who, by all accounts almost made the Canadiens after the pre-season games. This is the same guy who's scoring almost two points a game while back in he Q and

has almost one goal per game.

As before, I can't imagine this kid giving a half effort especially in a situation like this. Something is NOT right.

Looks like Gui may be a streaky player. He had a rough start to the year in Junior after an impressive camp. He will need a coach to nurture him and ride him through the rough times. I don’t think Claude will be a good mix in the future if he treats Gui as he has treated the 05' 06' batch this season.

Here's a review of Latendresse in hockeysfuture.com:

"Latendresse plays an all-around game and is a power forward. He uses his body to throw thunderous checks and fight for positioning in front of the net and along the boards while battling for position. Latendresse has good instincts and always drives hard to the net. Defensively he’s responsible and is willing to lie down to block shots. He ended his season on a personal high note, as he was dominant in a first-round loss to the Moncton Wildcats. He was, however, average at the Under-18 World Championships."

Sounds like pretty good stuff. The last sentence is interesting though. Maybe this kid struggles in these tournament situations. Maybe he takes some time to adapt to new team mates. The latter of these two doesn't necessarily make sense because he did well at Montreal's rookie camp, Montreal's pre-season games & the Team Canada selection camp & games.

I sound like a broken record but.... you know.... :wacko::blink: :?-