Game Thread | Pittsburgh Vs. Montreal | 01/03/06

Spider-Man NL

pitt200.gifvssmall2.gifmontreal200.gif

pitt50.gif10-19-9 :29 Points (15th in the Eastern Conference)

montreal50.gif18-13-6 : 42 Points (8th in the Eastern Conference)

Projected goalies for this game are:

3395.gif# 29 Marc-Andre Fleury (4-7-3), 3.09 GAApitt50.gif

montreal50.gif# 60 Jose Theodore (14-9-5), 3.06 GAA 0198.gif

Penguins Roster

Link

Canadiens Roster

Link

LW.jpghabs-w.gifrw.jpg

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder

Higgins - Bulis - Sundstrom

Kostitsyn- Murray - Ferland

d.jpg

Souray - Streit

Markov - Rivet

Bouillon - Dandenault

G.jpg

Jose Theodore

Meetings This Year:

Nov. 10th, 2005:montreal50.gif2 pitt50.gif3 SO

Soiree_JeanCoutu_A.gif

4487_3.jpg

TheoGamePitt.jpg

This game can be seen 7:30pm eastern on logo_RDS.gif& CenterIce.jpg

cjad_logo_large.gif

Listen to the game live on CJAD 800 AM

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2006 the Year of the Dog -- auspicious for our boys in Hamilton?

Hope the Habs have a good start to the year with a great game against the Pens, I'd expect a lot of goals (um, '11'?) in a fast-paced game.

:ghg:

and again, I get to be the 1st one to say:

GO HABS GO!

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Did you know that Montreal and Boston are the only teams in the league that have no players who have scored more than 30 points?

Kinda points out a gigantic lack of scoring in the absence of Koivu and Kovalev. Koivu coincidentally leads the team in points despite having played ten less games..

Well, hopefully we start off this year right!

I will be at the game tonight 2 rows back of Theo for the 1st and 3rd period and behind the Pens goalie for the second. Ill be wearing a red Koivu Jersey and my Dad will be wearing a half home half road jersey.

Go habs Go.

I will be at the game tonight 2 rows back of Theo for the 1st and 3rd period and behind the Pens goalie for the second. Ill be wearing a red Koivu Jersey and my Dad will be wearing a half home half road jersey.

Go habs Go.

I'll watch for you on TV tonight. Try standing backwards a lot, you & your dad so I'll be able to see the Koivu on the shirt. :P

Really JM, have a great time!!! :clap:

Zed, Koivu & Kovalev will be reunited.

"It felt good to be back together, but I don't know if the coach will keep us like that or try to balance the lines a bit" -Saku Koivu

Koivu needs 1 assist to reach a personal milestone: 300 career assists.

Bonk & Begin are doubtful.

Let's start 2006 on a high note.

Go Habs go!

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Go habs Go.

On behalf of Habs fans everywhere, I hope we see very little of you - none at all would be preferable - in the first and third. In the second, however, I hope you're both featured. I also ask that, when Crosby is close to you during a lull in the game, you shout, "Sydney, demand a trade to the Canadiens! We'll treat you like royalty!!!"

Some things to look for tonight:

1. Theo's back. If he comes out and challenges the shooters with a straight back, it will cause him to have his shoulders square and wide and will mean his positioning is solid. He's a far more imposing goalie like that, and he therefore has the proper position to fire out arms and legs to make the saves necessary to win the game.

2. A sprawling Penguin. Either early in the game (likely), or later on if the team starts to struggle (unfortunately also likely), watch for Koivu to go out and do everything he can to motivate the team, and that means some poor Pen will feel his wrath in the form of a huge and well-timed body check.

3. One or more quasi-breakaways. This is going to be a quicker game and I think one of the things Julien is going to look for is the quick transition game or even the breakaway pass, particularly from Markov. When he gets the puck deep in his zone, watch for him to spin on a dime and fire a tape-to-tape pass to a breaking teammate thereby splitting a fairly weak Penguin defence.

4. The forward-defence gap. If the space between the forwards and defence is large, we're going to struggle badly. Only when we work as a team, and give the defence options as we turn the puck up the ice, will we find success. A small gap means a successful transition game, and a backpeddling Pen defence. A large gap means intercepted passes, and dump outs: both turnovers and a fast return to defence.

5. Smelling Salts. For Kostitsyn on the bench. After his first shift or two he should be relegated and may need the trainer to pass the salts under his schnoz to wake him up.

I agree Colin my dad and I say each game we only want to be on TV in the 2nd period.

Fleury will have a good game tonight I think.

I hope the Habs bully then Pens a big home wins would be awesome and it would be even better if they could win convincingly.

The Special K line back together tonight. I hope they come out flying.

One Pen to watch out for tonight is Surovy he is very talented and knows how to score if he gets big ice he will be dangerous.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4622

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Penguins

MONTREAL - Fresh off a five-game holiday road trip that saw them muster only one win, the Canadiens will be looking to start the New Year on the right foot as they welcome Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins to the Bell Centre tonight.

Being back in Montreal will likely be a good thing for the Canadiens (18-13-6), who boast an 11-5-2 mark on home ice, including a recent five game stretch that has seen them pick up at least a point in five of their last six games (4-1-1).

The Penguins (10-19-9), meanwhile, will be playing their second game in as many nights on Canadian soil after working a little overtime in a 3-2 loss to the Maple Leafs Monday in Toronto. The loss was Pittsburgh’s first over their last three games as they come into town having picked up at least a point in five of the seven games since former Canadiens coach Michel Therrien took over behind the bench (2-2-3).

Tonight marks the second of four meetings between the Canadiens and Penguins in 2005-06. Crosby made his first ever showdown against his all-time favorite team a memorable one by scoring a goal in regulation in addition to the only shootout goal in a 3-2 win in Pittsburgh on Nov. 10. The Penguins will be without captain Mario Lemieux tonight, as he continues to be sidelined with an irregular heartbeat.

Bringing out the Big Guns: After picking up a pair of assists in his return to the lineup in Carolina on Saturday, Saku Koivu will be reunited with Alex Kovalev and Richard Zednik on the Canadiens’ top line tonight. With the trio in the lineup, which has been a rare occurrence this season, Montreal has amassed at least a point in 9-of-11 games (6-2-3), while Koivu, Kovalev and Zednik have piled up a combined 10 goals and 23 assists in those contests.

Crosby Show remains must-see TV: Sidney Crosby, who is second behind Alexander Ovechkin among NHL rookies with 19 goals and 43 points in 39 games, has been red-hot since the Penguins handed the coaching reins to Therrien. The recently anointed assistant captain has 12 points and six goals in seven games since the coaching change in Steel Town, as Crosby has flourished on his new line with Zigmund Palffy and Tomas Surovy, who have nine and eight points respectively over the same span.

Crawl of the Penguins: Pittsburgh hasn’t done much marching at the Bell Centre in recent years. Since 1998-99, the Penguins’ visits to Montreal have felt like treks across Antarctica with Pittsburgh going winless over their last 10 visits (0-8-2). The news hasn’t been much better for Penguins since they joined the NHL back in 1967-68 with the Canadiens holding a whopping 62-10-10 edge on home-ice, including a 383-203 goal advantage.

North of 60: The Canadiens and Penguins are enjoying the new NHL so much that 60 minutes of regulation time just isn’t enough. Following their overtime loss in Toronto on Monday, the Penguins have now gone to overtime or a shootout 13 times this season to co-lead the NHL along with the Flyers. Pittsburgh has come out on top only four times in those games. The Canadiens are right behind the Flyers and Penguins with 12 overtime/shootout games with Montreal holding a 6-6 mark.

Manny Almela is a writer for canadiens.com

4622_1.jpg

Jose Theodore will no doubt be looking for revenge against Sidney Crosby, who scored the lone shootout goal in the first meeting between the Canadiens and Penguins on Nov. 10.

I can't explain it, but I'm really excited for this game. If feel almost as though we might start winning tonight!

GO HABS GO!!!

:hlogo:

Hey spider man nice photoshop job on the pic where you placed Ribeiro in front of the net! ....wish he could do that for real!

Edited by CoRvInA

GO HABS GO

I'm so excited about the game, i'm contemplating staying up to listen even though it will start at 3:30 AM my time. Not much to do at work tomorrow though

I'll add that along with Crosby, a couple of other players to watch will be Maxime Talbot & Michel Ouellet. Both were Habs fans when they were younger, and will be looking to impress their friends and family from the area. Talbot had to obtain 10 tickets for tonight's game.

-Norm Szcyrek

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06003/631654.stm

We need a win to cleanse our collective souls. Hopefully the recent minor lineup changes with the Bulldogs woke everyone up and there is a solid effort tonight.

Go :hlogo: Go!!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but The Team 990 is reporting that Ribeiro and Dagenais will be healthy scratches!!! FINALLY!

Hopefully the team wins, and works their butts off tonight! I'm tired of watching these guys float around the ice, and look dumbfounded in the interviews as to why they lost....

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but The Team 990 is reporting that Ribeiro and Dagenais will be healthy scratches!!! FINALLY!

Hopefully the team wins, and works their butts off tonight! I'm tired of watching these guys float around the ice, and look dumbfounded in the interviews as to why they lost....

AWESOME, it's about time, maybe a trade??? or just a benching either way i say YAY

does that mean that Bonk will play tonight? or Begin?

Any info on Plex???? what are the lines going to look like then?

Let me answer my own questions.

RDS says that Bonk will play tonight ( i think)

also that Cote was returned to the Hammer ( why he was called up i don't know)

i predict

Zednik Koivu Kovalev

Higgins Bonk Ryder

Bulis Begin Sunny

Kosty Ferland Dandy???

I"m confused yet happy...3 cheers for claude