Game Thread | Montreal Vs. Devils | 01/05/06

Spider-Man NL

montreal200.gifvssmall2.gifdevils200.gif

montreal50.gif18-14-6 : 42 Points (8th in the Eastern Conference)

devils50.gif17-18-5 :39 Points (10th in the Eastern Conference)

Projected goalies for this game are:

0198.gif# 60 Jose Theodore (14-10-5), 3.16 GAA montreal50.gif

devils50.gif# 30 Martin Brodeur (15-14-3), 2.85 GAA0262.gif

Canadiens Roster

Link

Devils Roster

Link

LW.jpghabs-w.gifrw.jpg

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Kostitsyn - Bulis - Ryder

Higgins - Bonk - Sundstrom

Murray - Begin - Ferland

d.jpg

Souray - Komisarek

Markov - Rivet

Bouillon - Dandenault

G.jpg

Jose Theodore

Meetings This Year:

Nov. 18th, 2005:montreal50.gif3 devils50.gif5

MTLnNJ.jpg

ZedNJ.jpg

This game can be seen 7:30pm eastern on logo_RDS.gif& CenterIce.jpg

cjad_logo_large.gif

Listen to the game live on CJAD 800 AM

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well on devil the habs wont have to shut down is Mogilny.

Elias will be tough to shut down.

I wonder if Julien will match top line again Koivu's line against Gomez Gionta and Elias.

You may see Bonk's line match up against these hot scorers.

Geez, the Habs had around 17 other Devils to worry more about than Mogilny. That guy is done, finished, as far as playing in the NHL. If he goes unclaimed 1-2 times, then I'll predict he leaves the Devils to return to Russia, rather than play out the rest of his contract in the AHL. I sense he has too much pride than to play in the minors for the end of his career. I believe that the hip injury he sustained previously took its toll on him.

Well on devil the habs wont have to shut down is Mogilny.

Elias will be tough to shut down.

I wonder if Julien will match top line again Koivu's line against Gomez Gionta and Elias.

You may see Bonk's line match up against these hot scorers.

I don’t know how you can say he is finished he has 25 points and 12 goals. I believe that would put him 2nd on the Habs in goals and tied for 4th in points correct me if I am wrong.

The problem with Mogilny is that he's been very Ribeiro-like lately. Very cold. The NJ media have mentioned that Mogilny's disinterest in working hard or even showing up to play was one of the reasons that Robitinson suffered from anxiety related health problems, causing him to quit as their coach. Trust me, Mogilny will be out of the NHL very soon.

I don’t know how you can say he is finished he has 25 points and 12 goals. I believe that would put him 2nd on the Habs in goals and tied for 4th in points correct me if I am wrong.
Edited by habscout

Sweet Jesus! Atlanta is tied with us for the last playoff spot. If that doesn't light a fire in the minds of the Habs, I don't think anything will.

Lets thank The Canes for keeping them tied!

WERE STILL 8TH HURRAH NOT :angry:

Come on les Boys! :hlogo: DAMN I WANT NEWS NOW NOWW!! SOMETHING NEW!! PLEASE!!!

Bring Ribeiro back.. jesus..

I understand he has not scored a goal in his last 30 games almost but come on he is our best shot for second line Center.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Ryder

Higgins-Bulis-Sundstrom

Kotstitsyn-Begin-Ferland(or murray)

Edited by habsfan88

Bring Ribeiro back.. jesus..

I understand he has not scored a goal in his last 30 games almost but come on he is our best shot for second line Center.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Ryder

Higgins-Bulis-Sundstrom

Kotstitsyn-Begin-Ferland(or murray)

Dunno how many games you've seen recently, but Bulis has *significantly* out-performed Spare Ribs.

José "high glove side B) you shouldn't go down on those shots" Théodore will be in goal tonight. Let's hope he can put that penguins game behind him. Here's hoping we see more of the Zednik/Koivu/Kovalev-line. A win would be nice, but hey, it's a long season.. still many games left to win.

Go Habs go!

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Dunno how many games you've seen recently, but Bulis has *significantly* out-performed Spare Ribs.

Ditto that, I'm pretty sure the Zamboni driver has been outperforming Ribs lately. Oh, and hockey's future also says that the zamboni drivers career potential is significantly better.

Hoping for another Ribless and Daggerless game.....and a VICTORY

GO HABS GO

Edited by gohabsgo252006

Ditto that, I'm pretty sure the Zamboni driver has been outperforming Ribs lately. Oh, and hockey's future also says that the zamboni drivers career potential is significantly better.

Hoping for another Ribless and Daggerless game.....and a VICTORY

GO HABS GO

We all know what happened when Ribs came back after he got benched in Tampa (25 points in the next 24 games). Lets hope for the same result eh! I'll walk on foot to Lourdes.. Mickey Mouse back in the lineup?!

Go Habs go!

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Edited by mathieu30

I've just posted the preview for tonight's game. Since Spider-man NL has been posting the team stats, and hot & cold stats, I've omitted them from my preview. I did add a link it to this game thread, and will probably continue to do so.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1036

-Norm Szcyrek

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...13-0c2c814cf078

Canadiens back to basics

By PAT HICKEY

Canadiens head coach Claude Julien has urged his players to get back to basics and abandon what he called "reckless hockey."

"At the beginning of the season, there were a lot of things that were new for everybody," Julien said after the Canadiens practised at the Bell Centre before leaving for New Jersey, where they will play the Devils tonight (7:30 p.m., CJAD Radio-800; 10 p.m., tape delay, RDS).

"There was lots of scoring, but there was also a lot of reckless hockey," Julien said. "We won a lot of games by one goal late in the game, but now the league has stabilized and teams aren't playing as loose as they were. We have to get everybody on the same page and get back to playing our system."

The Canadiens, who have lost five of their past six games, took a step toward getting back to basics yesterday with a long video session, followed by an on-ice workout that stressed basics.

"It was a good workout, because it's the first time in a long time that we've had everyone on the ice and healthy," defenceman Craig Rivet said.

"We haven't played our best hockey for a long time and we have to concentrate on working and having a good attitude. We've had nights when we've worked hard, but we've expended energy doing the wrong things.

"We've pinched in and haven't been accountable defensively. It's a matter of getting everyone on the same page."

Julien tried to shake things up against the lowly Pittsburgh Penguins Tuesday night by not dressing Mike Ribeiro and Pierre Dagenais and suiting up rookies Jonathan Ferland and Andrei Kostitsyn. But the moves didn't provide an instant cure as a rookie-laden Penguins lineup beat the Canadiens 6-4.

Julien described the night as the most frustrating of his tenure in Montreal.

There was no immediate word on whether Ribeiro or Dagenais will be back in the lineup tonight. Both players were spares at practice yesterday and Julien said a final decision on the lineup will be made today.

He did say that he made the changes for the "good of the team. We don't make changes to punish guys."

Said Ribeiro: "I was in the same situation two years ago. The coach benched me and I was a better player when I came back."

Oddly, Ribeiro and Julien both said they hadn't talked about the reasons why the team's third-leading scorer was not dressed Tuesday, although Ribeiro expected to talk with the coach sometime yesterday.

"I've been in a slump, with one goal in the last 25 games but I don't know if that's the reason," he said. "I know that in the last few games I've played, I've worked hard.

"There were a few games before that when my work ethic could have been better, but we were short guys and there wasn't anything the coach could do."

Ribeiro said all he could was work hard and wait for his next opportunity.

The changes did give Ferland and Kostitsyn an opportunity to show what they could do. Ferland scored a goal in his NHL debut - "It's a dream come true,"he said - and had four shots on goal, while Kostitsyn picked up an assist.

Ferland played 9:12, while Kostitsyn, who averaged fewer than four minutes in his previous stints in Montreal, played 12:43.

The Devils, meanwhile, have Patrik Elias back in the lineup after he missed the start of the season with hepatitis. They also cleared some salary-cap space yesterday by releasing veteran Alexander Mogilny.

The Canadiens return home to play the Ottawa Senators Saturday. That game kicks off Hockey Day in Canada on CBC and will start at 2 p.m.

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2006

206045-73037.jpg

Habs coach Claude Julien goes to the chalkboard at practice.

206045-73037.jpg

Habs coach Claude Julien goes to the chalkboard at practice.

??!

You mean CJ only takes the chalkboard out of the closet when the canadiens are in deep shit?! WTF

I'm starting to lose faith in this team....Devils 9, Habs 1

Edited by DJ_Laszlo

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4653

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Devils

EAST RUTHERFORD – The Canadiens will be looking to get back on track as they face off with the New Jersey Devils in Montreal’s first road game of 2006. Tuesday at the Bell Centre, Claude Julien’s troops dropped a 6-4 decision to the Pittsburgh Penguins, despite roaring back from a 3-0 deficit to take the lead in the second period.

The Devils, who are closing out a three-game homestand, head into tonight’s matchup fresh off a 3-0 victory over the Florida Panthers. Martin Brodeur picked up his 76th career shutout, giving Devils President and GM Lou Lamoriello his third win in seven games as interim head coach.

Tonight's assigment won’t be an easy one for Montreal. In the club’s last 22 visits to Continental Airlines Arena since March 1994, the Canadiens are 1-17-4 with their last win in New Jersey dating back to Feb. 5, 2002. The Devils hold a 76-36 advantage in goals scored on home-ice against the Canadiens, including a 5-3 win back on Nov. 18.

Faster than a speeding Bulis: Since recent move to centre, Jan Bulis has really taken off. The Czech forward put the Canadiens on the board Tuesday against the Penguins, and later added an assist. The future Olympian has also picked up four points in his last four games, including three goals. Bulis’ success of late should come as no surprise, as the 27-year-old has always been at his best in January with 42 career points in the first month on the calendar, the most of any other month.

"Jan has really responded well since moving to centre, " said Julien, who had Bulis playing between Andrei Kostitsyn and Michael Ryder against the Penguins. "He played a lot of centre during his days with the Capitals and he's doing a great job for us right now. Jan has got a lot of speed and his versatility has been a real asset to us. He's been given an opportunity and it's great to see how he has taken advantage of it."

A long-awaited return: New Jersey welcomed forward Patrik Elias back to its lineup Tuesday night. The Devils’ leading scorer in 2003-04 had missed the first three months of the season after contracting Hepatitis A while playing in Europe during the lockout. The 29-year-old didn’t wait long to get his name on the scoresheet, as he earned an assist against the Panthers while playing on a line with Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta, the club’s top two point-getters this season. To make room for Elias in the lineup, the Devils placed veteran Alexander Mogilny on waivers on Wednesday. Mogilny has 25 points in 34 games with New Jersey in 2005-06.

Ribeiro will be ready: While sitting in the pressbox was certainly the last place Mike Ribeiro wanted to be Tuesday when his teammates took on the Penguins, it may have been just what the doctor ordered for No. 71, who has scored only one goal in his last 27 games.

“I remember the last time this happened, two years ago, I was also in a scoring slump,” said Ribeiro, who remains third in team scoring with 26 points in 37 games this season. “I hadn’t scored in like 20 games, but after Claude sat me for a game, I came back and got on a roll.”

In 2003-04, the 6-foot center had 15 points in his first 24 games, including only three goals before being scratched by Claude Julien on Dec. 2 against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Ribeiro responded to his coach’s challenge by putting up 25 points over his next 24 games – including eight goals – on his way to leading the team with 65 points in 81 games on the season.

“There’s no question that Mike is a talented player and we’ve seen good things from him before,” said Julien right before heading to the airport for the team’s charter to New Jersey. “We expect to see more positive things from Mike this season. In these situations the goal isn’t to punish the player. We’re just trying to help all of our guys reach their full potential.”

Manny Almela is a writer for canadiens.com

KoivuNJ.jpg

Saku Koivu scored a goal and added an assist in the Canadiens' last visit to New Jersey on Nov. 18.

go habs go!!!!!!!!! whimper

I think I'll watch the Jrs, less frustrating. Go Habs.

No need. RDS is playing the Juniors instead of our game. Only during the intermission they'll play our game like what they did with our Carolina game. If this isn't true, you can blame the source (Colin).