2006 Canadian Federal Elections

blaze53

Who Are You Voting For?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. So Which Party Would Get Your Vote On Jan. 23?

• The Liberal Party (Grits)
    • The Conservative Party (Conservatives)
    • The New Democratic Party (NDP)
    • The Bloc Québecois (Damn Separatists)
    • The Green Party (?)
    • Vote Yourself To Parliament (Smart)
    • Undecided (Make A Choice Now!!!!!)
    • Not Voting (Don't Complain About The Govt.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a practical matter, a vote on same-sex marriage (and probably abortion) is meaningless.

you're probably right - and that's why i really don't expect it to be an issue in this parliament.

you're probably right - and that's why i really don't expect it to be an issue in this parliament.

A vote on abortion would never pass anyway. Not with 124 seats. Everybody except the Conservatives would negate the vote. That's the beauty of this minority government.

It'll be a better minority government than the previous IMHO, because the Bloc now holds the balance of the power. The Bloc will vote with Harper on any decentralisation policy, something the Liberals & NDP's would never do; but will block (pun intended) any move that's too much on the right. So Harper is forced to keep on center more than he would probably prefer.

The most obvious pattern I can see right now is the Bloc bargaining their votes to Harper in exchange of more autonomy for Quebec. The big deal is definitely a settlement ($$$) of the federal tax sharing.

OH! By the way. My area has elected the one and only independent in the Parliement. André Arthur. Its as if Howard Stern had been elected Senator in the US. Too funny. I'm getting ready for some huge scandals and lot of shit disturbing from it. It should be pure gold.

Edited by KoZed

Agreed. If Harper had a majority, he could decide to use the 'notwithstanding clause' to override the courts, but not in this minority.

Back to your free vote comment... I am concerned about the implications of using the will of the majority to decide a minority rights issue like same-sex marriage (whether it's the majority of politicians or majority of citizens is irrelevant to my point).

I think it's likely Harper will do the free vote (because it was part of his election platform, and will appease the social conservatives in his party), it will be defeated, and he'll be able to say 'parliament has spoken' and move on. Whatever his personal beliefs, he undoubtedly realizes his future success (in central Canada, particularly) is somewhat dependent on not getting embroiled in this kind of issue.

as part of the negotiations for the minority gov't, Harper will most likely have to agree not to call the vote. That's fine for him, since he gave himself the free pass 'i will not operate a minority govt as if we were the majority'.

Don't be so sure about the results of a free vote.... there are social cons in the Bloc and maybe a few in the libs... probably not enough to make 155, but more than just all the alliance... might be some cons (see Quebec) that would vote against any con social agenda.

All in all, I never thought a free vote would be called either way... it was just electioneering.

Glad to see NDP gain ground. My riding went conservative.

So did mine. Well, the whole province went conservative. Is anyone really surprised though?

Did the Green party get any seats? I haven't checked yet but I had a couple 30 dollar bets that they wouldn't.

Did the Green party get any seats? I haven't checked yet but I had a couple 30 dollar bets that they wouldn't.

could you give me the email addresses of your betting partners? i've got a feeling i can get them to put money on the Colts winning the Super Bowl next weekend.

ditto to Mont Royale

I was trying to explain to them how the Green party might have an improved showing but they still wouldn't do well. And they're a couple of Green fanboys who were trying to think of getting 5-10 seats. I just laughed.

Ahhhh...stupid hippies. Make me laugh. :lol:

Don't be so sure about the results of a free vote.... there are social cons in the Bloc and maybe a few in the libs... probably not enough to make 155, but more than just all the alliance... might be some cons (see Quebec) that would vote against any con social agenda.

There's fiscal cons in the Bloc, but there is not really any social cons. The party has become a PQ affiliate so its definitely a social-democrat party, even further down the left than Liberals. Duceppe is as disciplinarian a party leader as they come. I'm sure that behind closed doors he'd tell his troops to vote with the party's line or find another party. You might find one or two older guys from the countryside who still live by Catholic values, but that's about it.