A Slightly More Optimistic Idea

Well, we've all decended into every conceivable variant of negativity, what with people blasting Kovalev, Theodore, everyone but the rookies, Julien, Melanson, Gainey, etc., etc..

However, it's worth considering one thing. The Habs hit this slump when injuries took out practically every forward on the team (except, tabernac, those useless clowns, Ribs and Dags). Now, everyone's healthy. But it takes time for players to find their game after extended absences. Furthermore, the last two losses have featured major comebacks by les boys that fell just short.

Slumps usually end with a few near-misses and bad breaks, then, finally, snap. The last 2-3 games have had that 'darkest before the dawn' feeling for me...a team that just can't seem to buy the breaks or get all its cylanders going at the same time, but now, at least, does have SOME pistons firing and just needs to get over that last hump.

But Theodore MUST play better.

Thoughts?

True to a point, but you have to work hard to make breaks happen, that is the most disappointing thing is the lack of work ethic and excuses of injuries. Injuries happen to all teams, the flyers have actuallly moved up the standings. I would disagree a little about the comebacks, i think the other teams putting it cruise control helped the habs look a little better late in games.

I agree...Theo needs to be sharper, but so do the D in front of him. I'm so tired of seeing shots teed up in the slot going cookie shelf. D has to be a little more aggressive and stop backing into Theo. That being said...beating Ottawa would be a great way to re-launch the Habs for the second half of the season.

Go Habs Go!

I agree. I think once Theo regains his form, and the boys remember how they used to play, they'll break out of the slump, and go on a serious rampage. This will last, of course, only until injuries and/or the flu hit us again... ;)

IMO the problem with Theodore is he is thinking too much. He's gotten away from relying on instinct. Instinct is a must in hockey. As a hockey player, and it doesn't matter what position you play. If thinking too much about the play overrides your instinct, you're doomed.

All of the greats had instinct. It's magic. Lemieux Gretzky, Richard, Beliveau, Orr, Roy, Dryden and on and on...it always comes down to instinct. Theo needs a sports shrink or a positive motivator IMO.

Looking for some optimism, i really think this team can be alot like this years sabres in a couple of years. They will have alot of upfront talent, checking and some gritty players. I think the experienced players Koivu, kolalev, bulis, Begin, hopefully komisarek and Markov. Then a bunch of young players with good skill level to fill out the roster, lattendresse, chipchura, kostitsyn, perezhogen, Price, etc. I'm sure i forgot a few. I wouldn't at all be surprised if we are sellers instead of buyers at the deadline, sort of addition by subtraction. Remove the dead wood, for younger players and picks.

RDS reports Ribeiro back in the lineup matched with Kovalev and AK 46 this would be our First or second line ... Dont know! Im assuming 1st this would mean Ryder Koivu Zednik second? ... i agree its worth trying out but this endless juggling what does it do? if it works one game it will be tried again another game and (stats say it never has which Julien will endup mixing back and forth during the game)

Another theory comes to mind! in my endless analysis of why Were so in a slump:

Lets assume mixing the lines does not screw up tactics (which would explain why CJ gets furious when no one sticks to the drills and game plan)

Hence then, does this mean that the game plans are equaly done and drawn out for each line ? meaning No matter with whom you play and what line you are in you do exactly what you were told to do in practice? (Lets say) "if Your Position is always lets LEft wing then your supposed to do everything the same?

If it is so!!! then I agree with CJ " Pulling the rest of the hair "WE" got left!!"

In consequence then these guys are monkeys plain and simple! They can't stick to the PLAN!!!

I think its Otherwise yesterday Dandy said they were having Terrible change ups that lead to a goal or two. this would mean different mix off plans and confusion? or that they are plainly dumb!

ALL THIS OF COURSE STILL GIVING RIBS THE BENEFIT OF DOUBT! lets see how he plays tomorrow night!

HOLLY ROCKET PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US!

Edited by CoRvInA

TVA i think it was or TQS...dont know. And now Sportsnet is confirming..Reported that Ryder Koivu Higgins is one line, Kostitsyn, Ribiero and Kovalev is the other. Zednik, Bulis and Bonk the third.

Julien's gotta stick to the same lines. If these are the ones he wants, stick with em. And goddamnit, give Komisarek some playing time.

Edited by smon

Theo definitely needs to make at least 1 to 2 more big saves per game and stop giving up rebounds...However, the forwards also need to back check more effectively, especially when the D pinches to hold the puck in the offensive end....the fact that teams are getting such excellent odd man chances, in my opinion, is killing Theo's confidence...

Les Boyz need to stop pressing and start playing two way hockey...that is what they did early in the season so well...get offensive chances on the counterattack....there has been little to none of that over the past 5-10 games....and in my opinion, using our speed and youth in this manner does two things...keep the other team honest and provide good offensive (often odd man) opportunities....

right now we're just running around like the teams in my beer league...

I hope it does not matter how Theo is tomorrow because he will be watching from the bench and if he gets in the game that’s bad. Can lightning strike Huet in the Bell centre twice in a row I sure hope so.

As for the new line I like them a lot. I bet Zednik will be mildly pleased because if there is one centre I’m sure he would not mind after Koivu its his long time buddy Bulis.