Game Thread | Senators Vs. Canadiens | 01/07/06

Spider-Man NL

senators_logo.jpgvssmall2.gifcanadiens_logo.jpg

ottawa50.gif28-8-3 : 59 Points (1st in the Eastern Conference)

montreal50.gif18-15-6 : 42 Points (8th in the Eastern Conference)

Projected goalies for this game are:

2514.gif# 1 Ray Emery (8-2-1), 2.78 GAAottawa50.gif

montreal50.gif# 39 Cristobal Huet (1-2-1), 3.67 GAA 2311.gif

Senators Roster

Link

Canadiens Roster

Link

LW.jpghabs-w.gifrw.jpg

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Kostitsyn - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Bulis - Bonk - Zednik

Ferland - Begin - Sundstrom

d.jpg

Souray - Komisarek

Markov - Rivet

Bouillon - Dandenault

G.jpg

Cristobal Huet

Meetings This Year:

Oct. 11th, 2005:ottawa50.gif4 montreal50.gif2

Oct. 27th, 2005:montreal50.gif3 ottawa50.gif4 OT

Nov. 29th, 2005:montreal50.gif0 ottawa50.gif4

Dec. 20th, 2005:ottawa50.gif3 montreal50.gif4 SO

[c]HuetOtt.jpg[/c]

[c]l1585573.jpg[/c]

This game can be seen 2:00pm eastern on logo_RDS.gifhnic.gif& CenterIce.jpg

cjad_logo_large.gif

Listen to the game live on CJAD 800 AM

Edited by Spider-Man NL

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Emery's on a cold streak so maybe we'll do a little better this time. I'm starting to get more and more excited about Kostitsyn.

I am guaranteeing a habs win unless huet plays shitty.

No offence, but Mark Messier you ain't :D

Hope you're right, though...and removing Theo is addition by subtraction at this point.

Yeesh. Is the PK bad or what? 24th in the league.

I remember a couple of years ago when Carbonneau ran that unit, and Juneau and Dackell were quite the duo..

Maybe Bonk and Sundstrom could do the same?

The Habs have slipped in the PK.

Bonk has not been healthy all year not to mention Koivu and Kovalev were both out the both kill penalty’s. So that all hurts, oh yeah and Theodore cant stop very much of anything right now.

This'll be the first Habs game I'll get to watch since... Dec 13th. They'd better effing win!!

GO HABS GO!!! Hat trick for Koivu!

it would be great to see the new lines work out, heres hopin they do....

GO :hlogo: GO

Captain Dagenais, Garth Murray & Streit tonights scratches.

This a question for the RDS-Forum-kid: who will be the captain in the 40 games that captain Dagenais gets scratched?

A habby welcomed win tonight for our boys, lets say 3-2. A good ol' Steve Begin winning goal in the dying seconds of the third.

Go Habs go!

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...f0-866df754eba0

Julien shuffles Habs' deck

Habs rookie Higgins earns promotion. Will join line featuring captain Koivu, Ryder; Ribeiro and Kostitsyn to team with Kovalev

By PAT HICKEY

Canadiens coach Claude Julien is turning to his youngsters in a bid to end the club's recent slide.

When the Habs entertain the Ottawa Senators today (2 p.m., CBC, RDS, CJAD Radio-800), rookies Chris Higgins and

Andrei Kostitsyn will be asked to play larger roles.

"I've said all along that I don't care what line I'm playing on as long as I'm playing," said

Higgins, who finds himself on one of the top lines with captain Saku Koivu and second-year pro Michael Ryder.

Kostitsyn, who has been making an impression during his second stint this season with the Canadiens, will be playing with Alex Kovalev and Mike Ribeiro, who will be seeking redemption after watching the last two games from the press box.

"One of the things young guys bring to the team is energy,"

Higgins said. "Michael and I have a job out there. We have to use our speed and strength to get the puck and let Saku make the plays."

Julien's shakeup - the other set line for today's game has Radek Bonk between Jan Bulis and Richard Zednik - is based partly on the Canadiens' slump and partly because the youngsters are playing well.

The Canadiens have lost four in a row, six of their last seven and are trying to stay afloat in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

The young players have been earning their keep in recent games. Higgins, Ryder and Jonathan Ferland scored Thursday in New Jersey during a comeback attempt en route to a 5-4 loss.

Julien started experimenting with his lines during the third period of that game and liked what he saw.

The boldest experiment has Ribeiro between Kovalev and Kostitsyn, who has been impressive in two starts after being recalled from Hamilton. Ribeiro can be a defensive liability and doesn't have blazing speed, but he is creative and Julien hopes that he meshes with the two Europeans.

While Ribeiro returns to the lineup, Julien said he hadn't made a decision on whether to dress Pierre Dagenais, who was benched along with Ribeiro. One consideration might be that Dagenais, who was praised by Julien yesterday for his hard work, scored the winning goal in a shootout when the Canadiens beat Ottawa here on Dec. 21.

A strong performance in that game has earned Cristobal Huet a start in goal for the Canadiens, although a change might have been in order because Jose Theodore has allowed 15 goals in his last three starts.

The Canadiens were banged up for that Dec. 21 game, with five regulars out of the lineup. This time, the Senators are hurting.

Two-thirds of Ottawa's No. 1 line is missing, with Jason Spezza (bruised chest) and Daniel Alfredsson (broken rib) out. That leaves Dany Heatley with Antoine Vermette and Bryan Smolinski. Brandon Bochenski and Martin Havlat are long-term casualties, while rookie sensation Andrej Meszaros is questionable after taking a shot off his foot during Thursday's loss in Boston.

"My guess is that he'll play, because he's such a tough kid," Ottawa coach Bryan Murray said. "I was surprised he went back out there after he got hit. Today, his foot was so swollen, he couldn't get his skate on, but I think he'll play."

Ray Emery will get the nod as the Senators' goaltender. He's the backup to Dominik Hasek, but Murray isn't doing the Canadiens any favour here. Emery has a 2-0 record against the Habs and also beat them in a preseason match.

After today's game, the Canadiens have some time off before travelling to Colorado, where they will face the Avalanche on Wednesday.

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2006

229711-81194.jpg

Canadiens' Mike Ribeiro - who returns to the lineup today on a line with Andrei Kostitsyn and Alex Kovalev - and Pierre Dagenais take a breather during practice yesterday.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4656

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Senators

MONTREAL – While all of Canada is ready to celebrate hockey, the Canadiens certainly don’t intend on giving the Ottawa Senators any presents this Satuday afternoon in their meeting at the Bell Centre. Tuesday against the Devils, despite a strong rally in the third period, the Canadiens fell 5-4, dropping their fourth straight.

The Senators are also coming off a loss in their most recent game. Minus the services of Daniel Alfredsson for a third straight game, Bryan Murray’s crew dropped their second contest without their captain in the lineup, as the Boston Bruins pulled out a 4-2 victory. Ottawa, who has been at the top of the Eastern Conference standings since early in the season, gave up the number one spot to the Philadelphia Flyers who, with 60 points, are one point ahead of the Senators.

Today’s matinee affair marks the fifth meeting between the Canadiens and Senators this season. Ottawa had won three first three with Ray Emery in goal before Montreal, upon Alex Kovalev’s return on Dec. 20, pulled out an inspiring 4-3 shootout win. Emery will get the start again today.

Huet gets the call: An important factor in the Canadiens’ win over the Senators on Dec. 20, Claude Julien has decided once again to give the 30-year-old netminder the start against the visitors from the nation’s capital. Huet had kicked aside 34 of 37 shots in the first 65 minutes of the game, before robbing Alfredsson and Dany Heatley in the shootout. It was the French goaltender’s first win as a Montreal Canadien.

Lines get shuffled: After being scratched for the last two games, Mike Ribeiro will be back in the lineup against the Senators. The 25-year-old forward, who has 26 points in 37 games, will center rookie Andrei Kostitsyn and veteran Alex Kovalev. Kovalev made a triumphant return against the Senators on Dec. 20, hitting two milestones while notching three points and scored in the shootout. Captain Saku Koivu will also find new wingers by his side as he’ll be joined by Michael Ryder, whose 18 goals lead the team, and Chris Higgins. Jan Bulis will return to the wing as he’ll join fellow Czech Radek Bonk and Richard Zednik on the third line.

Four or nothing: While they hold the league’s best record in goals-against average, the Senators haven’t had much success in low-scoring affairs. When they score four or more goals in a game, the Northeast Division leaders are 26-0. However, when they find the back of the net three times or less, they are 2-8-3. The last time the Senators won when they scored three or less was in their season opener against the Maple Leafs.

Huet39.jpg

After a strong effort in the Canadiens' win over the Senators on Dec. 20, Cristobal Huet will once again be between the pipes Saturday afternoon.

On that Pic O'NEil looks like eric Cartmen in the episode when he entered the special games as a "######ed" kid

cartman.jpg

Edited by CoRvInA

This game is on at 2? Thats kinda cool but I work at four... hmmm, maybe Ill just record it.

Oh well, go habs go!!!!

And by the way I kinda LOVE these new lines. ;)

I sense good things to come.

I didn't even notice that the game was at 2. I was wondering how it would be 11 for Corvina. Hope lazy Ribeiro set his alarm clock. :D Game's in an hour and a half! Yah!