The Bust Game

BTH

Which of these prospects has THE HIGHEST CHANCE of being a bust? It would be better if it was a checklist and you can choose more than 1 but I'll settle for this. If there's more than one who you think will be a bust then say one that no one has said yet or one that will still be good but not nearly AS good. I tried to choose guys who look like they might bust or not live up to their high draft ranking. What do you think? My vote goes to Pouliot.

I say:

Pouliot has a very good chance at busting.

Kopitar has a good chance at busting.

Latendresse will half-bust, not being the superstar people expect but maybe a legit secondliner.

Brule is overrated but will still be good.

Crosby will be very good but not Gretzky/Lemieux good like some seem to think.

Bouwmeester doesn't look to be a #3 pick - not that he won't be a good defenceman.

Colaiacovo is overrated but who isn"t in Leafsland?

Fleury will be good but does have a chance at busting. It'll be very tough to live up to his first overall status (in a great year) and he never will.

DiPietro is a good goalie but #1 overall??

Pogge? The Leafs have a lo of depth in net and this can be their starter some day. No bust.

Ovechkin will not disappoint.

Malkin will be one of the 5 best players in the world someday, if not THE best IMO.

EDIT: With the new boards I have no idea how to make a poll. It deleted it. Anyways, you see the options in my post.

Which of these prospects has THE HIGHEST CHANCE of being a bust? It would be better if it was a checklist and you can choose more than 1 but I'll settle for this. If there's more than one who you think will be a bust then say one that no one has said yet or one that will still be good but not nearly AS good. I tried to choose guys who look like they might bust or not live up to their high draft ranking. What do you think? My vote goes to Pouliot.

I say:

Pouliot has a very good chance at busting.

Kopitar has a good chance at busting.

Latendresse will half-bust, not being the superstar people expect but maybe a legit secondliner.

Brule is overrated but will still be good.

Crosby will be very good but not Gretzky/Lemieux good like some seem to think.

Bouwmeester doesn't look to be a #3 pick - not that he won't be a good defenceman.

Colaiacovo is overrated but who isn"t in Leafsland?

Fleury will be good but does have a chance at busting. It'll be very tough to live up to his first overall status (in a great year) and he never will.

DiPietro is a good goalie but #1 overall??

Pogge? The Leafs have a lo of depth in net and this can be their starter some day. No bust.

Ovechkin will not disappoint.

Malkin will be one of the 5 best players in the world someday, if not THE best IMO.

EDIT: With the new boards I have no idea how to make a poll. It deleted it. Anyways, you see the options in my post.

For their own sake, I hope that none of them are busts. To be realistic, it can't be expected that all will be 'non-busts' I'll go through your list.

Pouliot risks very much being a bust because I don't know if he has the determination to go where he has to so as to become what he's expected to be. He may peak at a 2nd line forward.

Kopitar is Kostsitsyn all over again. If he's nurtured correctly, he should be a super one (à la Selanne).

Latendresse is boom or bust. Again, if he's nurtured correctly, he should be a really good one too.

Bouwmeester, I think is over-rated too as is Colaiacovo.

Fleury looks like he'll be a REALLY good one, maybe to the point of another Brodeur.

DiPiietro will be good but certainly not what he cost.... Luongo.

Pogge, I don't know. He's very hot right now, as an 18 year old but that doesn't necessarily translate into success later on. By the way, the same goes for Price. This last WJC may be the highlight of Pogge's hockey life. We'll see.

Ovechkin will rule.

Malkin will be awesome, especially surrounded by a good supporting 'staff'.

As to how to make a poll, I gave you a suggestion in the 'Welcome To The New Habsworld Forums'.

Pouliot can be a solid NHLer. A second liner better than Patrik Stefan. So a half bust.

Kopitar has a good chance at busting, but I think he'll be Olli Jokinen. Like Olli, he'll bounce around for a while before becoming a good player.

Latendresse will be an NHLer. But not a first line player. Too inconsistent.

Brule will be good.

Crosby is the real deal.

Bouwmeester will be a good defenseman. A solid top four guy with offense.

Colaiacovo won't make it. It's been too long.

Fleury needs to be nurtured right. And the Pens aint doing it too well right now, unless he remains starter.

DiPietro won't improve. He's as good now as he will be.

Pogge? A solid backup

Rask? No bust

Ovechkin? Fedorov before he sucked.

Malkin? No bust.

Some Others:

Price? A starter. A star? I don't know. Gut feeling.

Brendan Bell? Bust.

Bobby Ryan? Bust. Don't know why..but a gut feeling.

One of Babchuk or Barinka will be a bust.

"Bouwmeester will be a good defenceman. A solid top four guy with offense."

Considering:

1) This guy guy was taken 3rd overall.

2) Lehtonen being picked ahead of him was a big surprise.

3) Many teams would have chosen him first over Nash.

That makes him a bust, IMO. A top 3 pick should be a top pairing guy. Especially in a pretty good draft year like that one.

Granted, Brule has only played 7 games, I really like what I've seen out of this kid.

If he stays off the Coca Cola diet! man this kid must have lost all the Calcium in his bones or he's suffering the beginnings of some bone illment!

I truthfully hope for this kid that it's the physics of "the block" causing injuries pertaining to the hits he received Which is just plain nasty bad luck! i hope he gets a chance again ... the next body check will prove if he's back or not!

But I think he's the "Jason Becker" of future Star hockey players he's got talent and determination hope he gets better!

"Bouwmeester will be a good defenceman. A solid top four guy with offense."

Considering:

1) This guy guy was taken 3rd overall.

2) Lehtonen being picked ahead of him was a big surprise.

3) Many teams would have chosen him first over Nash.

That makes him a bust, IMO. A top 3 pick should be a top pairing guy. Especially in a pretty good draft year like that one.

top 3 pick and not a top pairing defenseman does not equal a bust.

a top 3 pick and a top 10 pick and a top 20 pick are pretty well one and the same. they are all best shot estimates by those who 'know' and 'understand' what a player is like and how he'll develop.

a bust is one who just doesn't work out at all = doug wickenheiser and a number of other canadiens 1st rounders (and many other teams' 1st rounders, of course).

Bouwmeester isn't a "bust" but he isn't what he was projected to be. That's what I mean. And there's a difference between 3rd, 10th and 20th. The 3rd overall pick is usually projected to be a superstar. A 10th overall doesn't have to live up to those expectations to be successful.

• 2 weeks later...
Bouwmeester isn't a "bust" but he isn't what he was projected to be. That's what I mean. And there's a difference between 3rd, 10th and 20th. The 3rd overall pick is usually projected to be a superstar. A 10th overall doesn't have to live up to those expectations to be successful.

BRULE!!!

We sure were right on in not drafting him! Something definitely wrong with this boys' bones! TOO much coca-cola I say!

biggest busts: jessi niimaki by the oilers

we drafted higgins just after ;)

I agree with latendresse being a 2nd liner. let's be patient with him, big guys may take more time to adjust to the nhl.

brule will be a bust, too fragile.

maybe benoit pouliot..

malkin will be a great player in this league

I agree on Malkin.

When Ovechkin and Malkin played together I liked what I saw from both but Malkin impressed more.

Anze Kopitar is doing great in Elitserien. The Slovenian kid has 17 points in Elitserien so far and is third in points total for his team Södertälje SK who are struggling. Kopitar and another rookie, Dragan Umicevic are the only highlights for Södertälje this far. Umicevic played for Team Sweden this year in Rosno Cup.

Peter Forsberg had 17 points in his fist season in Elitserien. Kopitar is allready there...

Crosby will be Joe Sakic great.

Latendress is too early to determine. I think right now he is going through mental issues after the high of the pre-season. I think the Canadiens played him too muc, and got his expectations too high. A half season in Hamilton will go a long way to helping out his play ... as will a jaunt in next season's Junior Worlds where he will probably play a much more central role.

Olnichuck Sp? Will be great too, but not necessarily Gretzky or Lemieux great. More like Forsburg.

Anyway, predictions are a shot in the dark. Who would have thought that Avalanche rookie would be ripping it up at the begining of the year?

Who the heck is Olnichuk? Were you making fun of Ovechkin or speaking of some great prospect to be drafted this year that I don't know of?

I had the opportunity to see Latendresse last night as the Voltigers were in town to play the Mooseheads and to put it bluntly I wasn't impressed, he played soft for a big guy and was for the most part out muscled by smaller players. If I hadn't of made a point to identify him in the pregame I wouldn't have noticed him all night. He has a lot of improving to do to to make it to the show. He isn't going to be helping the Habs anytime soon.