Unbelievable Even For Al Strachan

PMAC

Even for Leaf loving Strachan, the level of disrespect for the Habs tradition is bizarre. I always knew he was out of touch with reality, but even he should know that most of those misguided souls who hate Les Canadiens do so BECAUSE the Habs have such a history and tradition of excellence. Ironically enough, the title of his coulumn is "Lawyers who run NHL know very little about league". I think "TO journalists who write about hockey know little about the history and reality of the sport outside of Toronto" would be a better title

From Weird Al Strachan http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Strac...381798-sun.html

As Canadians know, the Leafs represent a bizarre phenomenon. More than any other, they are Canada's team.

They have huge support wherever they go and are perceived as the team that best represents the sport's heritage.

Most countries have a team of this nature -- the New York Yankees in the United States, Manchester United in England, the All Blacks in New Zealand, and so on.

NOTHING LATELY

But the reason the Leafs' vaunted status is bizarre is they haven't won anything in almost 40 years.

Nevertheless, most Canadians understand this phenomenon and accept it.

It is a fact of hockey life.

Those who don't accept it usually do so because they think such an elevated status belongs to the Montreal Canadiens.

But the Canadiens, thanks to those people in New York, also will visit western Canada just once every three years.

Edited by PMAC

:monkey: OOooops

I mean, what do you mean? Of course I spelled his name right... only a :monkey: would mis-spell the name a writer they were slagging for bad writing B)

A typical Toronto-centric view of the world (another poster would call it CotU, for short). Guess what, Al? Much of western Canada feels resentful of Toronto, and that somewhat applies to their hockey team. Besides, maybe you've heard of the Oilers, Flames, and Canucks? Sure, the Leafs have fans out there - but so do the Habs. The Habs strong fan base in the Maritimes and eastern Ontario are ignored of course.

Tiresome, but predictable.

I thought Team Canada was Canada's team...

hmm, perhaps I am mistaken. Let me research that...

*researches*

Okay, after consulting an atlas I have determined that Team Canada is in fact Canada's team. Mostly because the word Canada is in their team name.

"Toronto", however, is not in "Team Canada," though the "T" at the beginning might throw off some who cannot read or write well.

Toronto does make a very good argument for being Toronto's team, though I plan on fighting that. Any lawyer members here willing to take my case?

*researches*

Okay, after consulting an atlas I have determined that Team Canada is in fact Canada's team. Mostly because the word Canada is in their team name.

"Toronto", however, is not in "Team Canada," though the "T" at the beginning might throw off some who cannot read or write well.

Toronto does make a very good argument for being Toronto's team, though I plan on fighting that. Any lawyer members here willing to take my case?

i teach kindergarten... would that help? :)

I believe the subtext of the Strachan article reads as:

I'm a bald, short man with a small dong. Furthermore, my hockey team sucks and I am jealous of your lengthy list of Stanley Cups. Thankyou for reading my pointless article.

Sincerely,

Little Man

*researches*

I once watched the first half of an episode of Law & Order, will that help?

I'm a bald, short man with a small dong. Furthermore, my hockey team sucks and I am jealous of your lengthy list of Stanley Cups. Thankyou for reading my pointless article.

Sincerely,

Little Man

That really did make me laugh out loud. Nice one.

BTW - isn't it so that All Blacks is the nickname of Team New Zealand of rugby? So, if he names professional club (MU, Leafs and so on), All Blacks fit like sh.... ;)

The All Blacks are a national team made up professional players representing NZ. Much as it pains me to say, Al got this one right because the All Blacks are the iconic team in NZ and for many followers of world rugby. World Cups aside, they are simply the best there is.

Even for Leaf loving Strachan, the level of disrespect for the Habs tradition is bizarre. I always knew he was out of touch with reality, but even he should know that most of those misguided souls who hate Les Canadiens do so BECAUSE the Habs have such a history and tradition of excellence. Ironically enough, the title of his coulumn is "Lawyers who run NHL know very little about league". I think "TO journalists who write about hockey know little about the history and reality of the sport outside of Toronto" would be a better title

From Weird Al Strachan http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Strac...381798-sun.html

As Canadians know, the Leafs represent a bizarre phenomenon. More than any other, they are Canada's team.

They have huge support wherever they go and are perceived as the team that best represents the sport's heritage.

Most countries have a team of this nature -- the New York Yankees in the United States, Manchester United in England, the All Blacks in New Zealand, and so on.

NOTHING LATELY

But the reason the Leafs' vaunted status is bizarre is they haven't won anything in almost 40 years.

Nevertheless, most Canadians understand this phenomenon and accept it.

It is a fact of hockey life.

Those who don't accept it usually do so because they think such an elevated status belongs to the Montreal Canadiens.

But the Canadiens, thanks to those people in New York, also will visit western Canada just once every three years.

Why do you think that even the HNIC doesn't use Mr. Strachan for the Satellite Hot Stove?

Strachan is an opinionated moron. I don't know how anyone can take him seriously

I dont really take him seriously... I just can't believe that he gets paid for writing such drivel. During the lock-out he was so ass-lickingly pro-player that just seeing his name made me want to puke. I usually dont read his stuff anymore, but as I said this was just beyond it

Sincerely,

Little Man

:lol:

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:_OQKB...00201/407.f.jpg

There is a picture of him he is a Canadian sports columnist and up to I believe this year was a regular on the Satellite Hot Stove during the second intermission of the first game on HNIC. The Hot Stove is the program John Davidson often appears on.

The All Blacks are a national team made up professional players representing NZ. Much as it pains me to say, Al got this one right because the All Blacks are the iconic team in NZ and for many followers of world rugby. World Cups aside, they are simply the best there is.

Al didn't get it right. The All-Blacks play in international tournaments like the World Cup of Rugby. When was the last time the Leafs went to Europe for the World Championships? They are a professional hockey club in a league, not a team who's sole purpose is to represent their country in a tournament.

Al didn't get it right. The All-Blacks play in international tournaments like the World Cup of Rugby. When was the last time the Leafs went to Europe for the World Championships? They are a professional hockey club in a league, not a team who's sole purpose is to represent their country in a tournament.

He was refering to the team that has widespread support in a country, that many people identify with, and that symbolizes the country. The All-Blacks are THE team in NZ. Every NZ boy dreams of playing for the All-Blacks, not one of their professional sides and people outside of NZ (even non-rugby fans) can identify the All-Blacks as NZ's team. And, they have an unbroken tradition of excellence that even the Habs and Yankees might envy. So, I maintain, as Devil's Advocate, that yes, Al did get this one tiny detail of the article right. :)

Note: International rubgy has a different structure than international sports as we understand it in NA. The top international sides of countries like France, England, Austrailia, SA, NZ etcetera play each other every year, sometimes more than once a year usually in one-off games known as tests and in tournaments that happen every year.

Edited by PMAC