Crosby Vs Kovalchuk

BTH

Did anyone watch the game or see highlights from last night's Atlanta-Pittsburgh game? Kovalchuk and Crosby were going at it all night. To start it off Crosby slashed IK and then they started shoving and whatever. Kovalchuk scored when Crosby was in the box. Then later Crosby was frustrated so he randomly slashed Andy Sutton's leg. Kovalchuk scored while he was in the box and in his celebration pointed to Crosby in the box. Crosby came out of the box and started yelling at him as the refs restrained him. Some salt in the wound for SC, Kovalchuk scored an empty netter for his hat trick. Thrashers for 6-4. Crosby had 1 assist to keep his point streak going to 9 games.

Ovechkin scored a goal in a 3-1 loss to Philly.

Ovechkin: 39GP 25G 22A 47PTS

Crosby: 40GP 21G 25A 46PTS

Close race there.

You want to know what would be really funny? What if neither one of them won it? The way things are going know, there seems to be a real divide between the Crosby backers and the Ovechkin backers. And it could end up costing both of them and Calgary's Dion Phaneuf could come out the better for it.

The Crosby camp votes Sid, Dion, and Ovechkin. The Ovechkin side votes Alex, Dion and Sid. Depending on how many first place votes Dion can muster up, particularly out west, he could steal it out from under both of them. And just for good measure, throw Petr Prucha into the mix. As well, if Atlanta can get into the playoffs behind Kari Lehtonen, then that's a five-way race for the Calder.

i watched 'coach's corner' tonight and i have to agree with one thing he said.

he talked about crosby being targeted like lemieux was during his peak (and after too). crosby is getting an inordinate amount of 'attention'. yes, some of it is warranted because he is an offensive threat but he's also a major part of the image of this league. if he gets damaged or disabled, the consequences for the league could be horrendous.

guys like him HAVE to be protected.

kovalchuk may be a great player and a ticket seller but crosby is the face of the league like gretzke was (and still is, for that matter).

if crosby is debased, even then the league loses and loses big time.

i don't want to hear about him being no more important than any other player or he's got to be ready to take his licks like any other player... crosby IS NOT any other player and to think otherwise is delusion and destructive to the sport that we love.

crosby is just a rookie right now but, allowed to grow and become what he could be, he'll be bigger than the maple leafs themselves. would we rather have a gretzky in him or a forsberg or, even worse, a lemieux - one who's fantastic skill and positive presence is mimimalized by injury after injury after injury.

go habs go :hlogo: , go nhl go :hockey: and go crosby go - i mean it :king: !

Edited by shortcat1

Yes Crosby is amazing and IK was just trying to send a message although in a terrible fashion that he is not the Great One or Magic Mario quite yet. IK has 32 goals in 40 games and is amazing better than Sid as of right now but that will change. I am happy Cherry ripped IK for his actions, as they were wrong hockey is a team sport and for the opponent to single out one player after a goal is disrespectful and unsportsmanlike. I am sure Cherry regained some fans east of Ontario for once with this weeks comment.

In the rematch of the 2 teams, Atlanta won again: 4-3. Kovalchuk scored 2 more goals (league-leading scorer) and Crosby had 2 assists (passed Ovechkin by 1 point but Ovechkn has 2 games in hand). There was nothing between the players except that when the players were warming up and Kovalchuk was stretching, Andre Roy went to stretch beside him and told him pretty much not to touch Crosby. If Crosby is the face of the league then that's great but why should the other teams stay away from him? They don't want to lose. They should treat him (on the ice) like any other offensive threat. If these guys can't stand up for themselves and "can't take their own licks" then why are they the face of the league anyways? Hockey is a physical sport so anyone who can't play physically isn't an all-round complete player. In my NHL, you have to be tough to be good. Guys like Roy and Vandenbussche should protect Crosby but if they fail to do their job and don't then Crosby will have to stand up for himself. The main reason why I prefer Ovechkin over Crosby is because he can dominate physically and is talented too. Shortcat, I'll have to disagree that gutys should clear an isle for Crosby to the net just so that the NHL will score some fans.

In the rematch of the 2 teams, Atlanta won again: 4-3. Kovalchuk scored 2 more goals (league-leading scorer) and Crosby had 2 assists (passed Ovechkin by 1 point but Ovechkn has 2 games in hand). There was nothing between the players except that when the players were warming up and Kovalchuk was stretching, Andre Roy went to stretch beside him and told him pretty much not to touch Crosby. If Crosby is the face of the league then that's great but why should the other teams stay away from him? They don't want to lose. They should treat him (on the ice) like any other offensive threat. If these guys can't stand up for themselves and "can't take their own licks" then why are they the face of the league anyways? Hockey is a physical sport so anyone who can't play physically isn't an all-round complete player. In my NHL, you have to be tough to be good. Guys like Roy and Vandenbussche should protect Crosby but if they fail to do their job and don't then Crosby will have to stand up for himself. The main reason why I prefer Ovechkin over Crosby is because he can dominate physically and is talented too. Shortcat, I'll have to disagree that gutys should clear an isle for Crosby to the net just so that the NHL will score some fans.

the word 'inordinate' means the same as excessive, bth.

yes, crosby should be ready to 'take his licks' but have you not see what lemieux had to go through? have you not seen the damage to his body, especially his back? there came a point where he was being cross-checked and slashed across the back so much that his back-bone became damaged. he had to resort to wearing a special pad up & down his spinal column to protect him. that was stupid. he should never have been submitted to that excessive abuse but he was and he wasn't protected.

kovalchuk is better than crosby at the moment but to let a presence and a talent like crosby be excessively abused because he is crosby is wrong.

we have to have a sense of perspective. imagine, for example, that perezhogin becomes a lafleur-like player for us. would you want to be fair game for anyone who wants to 'take him out'? it happens. like you said, it's a physical sport and other teams want to win. there are many bobby clarkes in the league and they will do what they have to so as to take our the kharlamovs of the league.

think about it.

I didn't say guys should run after Crosby or anyone else trying to injure them. I don't think Crosby is being excessively abused. Most of the teams treat him like just another offensive threat. I saw Hatcher go after him and Kovalchuk was just chirping with him to get on his nerves (after Crosby slashed him). Since it seems like Crosby isn't being abused excessively besides for a couple of teams then he should be able to take the ordinary abuse that he gets. If someone's going to protect him than that's great but if not then it's up to him. Two stars going at it is very different from someone like Varada taking a run at Crosby. Kovalchuk also should have guys protecting him.

If someone wants to take out a star of ours in a legal way than sure. If it's a cheapshot (like that punch in the face from Goddard a ouple of days ago against Carolina) then I'd like to see some retaliation but for say, Scott Stevens's hits on Lindros (the face of the league) then there's nothing they can do about it.

And trust me no one would take a run at Perezhogin - last time someone tried that he was having seizures on the ice.

Heh. And Perezhogin was charged with assault. If you're referring to Garret Stafford.

Speaking of Coach's Corner, did anyone see the clips of Kasparitis pushing Lemieux around? Ugly stuff. Even more surprising is that Kaspar became a Penguin a year or so after that.

Pittsburgh does need some stronger players. I'm surprised that John LeClair for one is letting teams push around Crosby. Or Lyle Odelein. The only reason they got their nice contracts was because Mario figured that they would take Crosby under their wing so-to-speak and sort out other team's "agitators". And as for their supposed enforcer Andre Roy, well Roy has never been a great fighter..I do believe he is injured.

Roy was playing against Atlanta. Ryan Vandenbussche is injured. I remember reading a short paragraph in the Gazette saying that Crosby asked Vandenbussche to teach him how to fight.

Like Iginla. It's nice to see guys who are talented but can handle guys like Varada when they come for them

kovalchuk may be a great player and a ticket seller but crosby is the face of the league like gretzke was (and still is, for that matter).

DUDE....4,165 posts and you spell Gretzky wrong? ...and without a capital 'G'?

Anyways, I was at the habs-pens game, and was fortunate enough to be sitting behind the pens bench. Pretty much the entire game, Crosby was bitching to the refs, or one of the Canadiens players. I lost a lot of respect for him on that night.

He's like Dale Hunter with talent. It's one thing to play hard and work hard, it's another to cry to the refs after every wistle and every shoving match in front of the net...

As Bulis the Habbie mentions above, I'd wouldn't mind seeing him play like Iginla, I just don't think he's heading in the right direction!

Edited by Makh2o

DUDE....4,165 posts and you spell Gretzky wrong? ...and without a capital 'G'?

Anyways, I was at the habs-pens game, and was fortunate enough to be sitting behind the pens bench. Pretty much the entire game, Crosby was bitching to the refs, or one of the Canadiens players. I lost a lot of respect for him on that night.

He's like Dale Hunter with talent. It's one thing to play hard and work hard, it's another to cry to the refs after every wistle and every shoving match in front of the net...

Dude you spelt "whistle' wrong. Crosbys talent with Hunters fiestiness sounds like the type of player every team would love to have. How do you know he was bitching to the ref, were you out there to hear what he said. Also lots of players yap at each other, tying to get each other off their game. "Not heading in the right direction". He's 18 years old, near the top in league scoring and, leading the Penguins in all offensive catagories. I think the direction he's going is pretty good Edited by olematelot

Dude you spelt "whistle' wrong. Crosbys talent with Hunters fiestiness sounds like the type of player every team would love to have. How do you know he was bitching to the ref, were you out there to hear what he said. Also lots of players yap at each other, tying to get each other off their game. "Not heading in the right direction". He's 18 years old, near the top in league scoring and, leading the Penguins in all offensive catagories. I think the direction he's going is pretty good

As for the knock on Shortcat in regards to Gretzky, it was a joke...should have added an emoticon I guess....

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have Crosby on my team, can't think of anyone who wouldn't want him, I was just saying I lost some respect for the way he carries himself on the ice after the wistle blows. I sit second row behind the bench, so yeah, I can hear some of what is being said. I'm pretty sure anyone in the lower sections can figure out what's going on when he's looking at the ref like his puppy just died, and he's making a hooking move with his stick....

Edited by Makh2o

You can also take a look at today's Montreal Gazette. Jack Todd's article covers off on Crosby a little in regards to his behavior...
Unfortunatly Jack Todds articles are for subscribers only so I can't see what he had to say. Crosby is an 18 year old kid who plays with a ton of passion and emotion and he himself admits that sometimes he lets it get the best of him and he has to work on it. The Penguins have to get someone to protect him, like Gretzky used to have in Semenko or teams will continue to take liberties with him. I've seen Crosby play since he was in minor hockey and he always chirped a lot, thats just the way he is.

Jack Todd is against Crosby because his dad is a psychopath who sends him hate mail (not a bad reason). I like to see tough players but I hate seeing chirping and frustrated players taking bad penalties. When Crosby leaves the Atlanta game with 4 penalties and an unsportsmanlike misconduct, you've gotta wonder whether it's the refs or him. Against the best powerplay in the league, you've got to hold some of it in.

Jack Todd is against Crosby because his dad is a psychopath who sends him hate mail (not a bad reason). I like to see tough players but I hate seeing chirping and frustrated players taking bad penalties. When Crosby leaves the Atlanta game with 4 penalties and an unsportsmanlike misconduct, you've gotta wonder whether it's the refs or him. Against the best powerplay in the league, you've got to hold some of it in.
Jack Todd has no right to judge Crosby because of his fathers actions and on another note I think he received 2 mins for unsportsmanlike not a misconduct, however you are right he was playing with frustration that night instead of passion, but he's a smart kid and will learn by all of this.

Crosby grew up in the same area where I live and is a year younger than one of my sons. They both played with different associations in the Central Minor Hockey League which takes in Halifax and surrounding areas. It was common knowledge at all the rinks that Troy is a loose cannon, in fact on one occasion the police had to remove him from one of the rinks because of his behaviour. Non of this was ever reflected on Sidney though, he was always known as a real humble down to earth kid.

Detroit and Buffalo both have better powerplays than Atlanta.

Atlanta's up there. The stats might not say it but they have more fire power and chemistry then Buffalo and Toronto. Detroit has less offensive fire power but has better pointmen and are probably better than Atlanta. That wasn't the point though; even if they're powerplay sucked it wouldn't have made a difference.

@olematelot:

Yeah, I knew he didn't get a 10 minute misconduct but I just didn't know how to call the penalty.

• 2 weeks later...

The Penguins acquire the next piece of the puzzke today.

To Florida:

Pittsburgh's 6th round draft choice in 2006

To Pittsburgh:

Eric Cairns

The Pens add some grit and someone to protect Crosby.

I just read the title, didn't care to read the thread...

Is that a real question??

I mean...

Is someone really trying to compare a 6'2" 235lbs Rocket on skates, with awesome move, with blazing shot, damn, the only thing the guy needs is Jagr's mullet, back in 1992... He IS the best player... no question there.

so is someone really trying to comare that guy to a average sized, average skater player with a God-Like vision???

No you can't compare the two. Crosby could make you a pass on the tape from the other end of the rink, with 200 players on the ice, and he could do it blindfolded.

Ilya will skate around these 200 players and get to the other end of the rink to receive that pass and will shove it behind the goalie, top corner, without any angle to shoot from.