Don't Get Too Excited...

habsfan88

Okay, so we won a game to snap a 4 game losing streak, and it was against Ottawa and we beat them by 3. Very good. Like the title of my topic says - Don't get too excited because i do not feel that this is triggering a big winning streak.

The game was incredibly sloppy, and we got outshot like mad. Emery struggled, and then we couldn't score against Hasek. The sens had key players injured and played like absolute crap.

All I am saying is - YES - It was a huge win...But I really don't think our boys played any better than what they have played in the past little while.

Damn nice first period. Sloppy rest of the way, but Huet was as good as we needed Theo to be in the last 22 games.

Wasn't too heartening to see that punk Varada running over Kovalev every few minutes. He took Theo's knees out a couple of years back, and Gilmour got a suspension for knocking him out in retailiation. Now that guy had heart.

Koivu played well as always. Ryder was really slow whenever he was on the ice. The Sens succeeded in knocking Kovalev off his game. Zednik was decent. Ribiero wasn't. Begin was, and didnt let Neil goad him into a fight. Rivet, bless him, took three penalties too many. Bouillon was good, Souray was decent. Streit and Dandenault weren't that that bad.

Rookies did well, I think. No mistakes anyway, and that's the game in a nutshell. Was hilarious to see the Sens going nuts because Huet was so good.

Edited by smon

This is the type of game I expect on a regular basis from a 5.3M$ goalie. Lets face it guys, our most paid player who's making about 15% of our payroll (Theo) is one of the main reason for our problems this year. If he can't perform like an elite #1 goalie, lets invest that $ into a top forward that would make us an offensive treat. Don't need a top goalie when you dominate the opposition.

Seeing Chara push Kovalev around was really sad to see. What's worse though is that Kovalev seemed invisible for the rest of the game. A few great stickhandling plays but nothing really threatening.

ah well

I'm still waiting on a trade by Gainey

I was pissed off that nobody stuck up for our star player. I hate the leafs, but if that was them playing that game Varada and Neil would've been huge targets. Nobody really touched them in this game, and i was pretty mad.

After all the losing, I'm not about to be critical about HOW we beat the Senators, of all teams! Yeah, we were outshot, but that's not unusual when one team gets a big lead early - the other team often presses hard the rest of the way. The Habs played a solid game. For all their shots, the Sens didn't get a ton of top quality scoring chances. Huet didn't have to be brilliant - just strong positionally with decent rebound control.

Whether this is the big turnaround we've been waiting for remains to be seen. I'm not getting my hopes up, because I did that after the last big victory vs. the Sens... :puke:

I was pleased with our defensive play. They couldn't park anyone in front of our net and we controlled the rebounds. Sourrey was sloppy a few times but other than that, one of the d-cores best outings. In my opinion.

Every game goes further and further towards my prediction that at the least Mr. THeo and Mr. Ribeiro will not be members of this team for much longer.

Like I said in another thread, if THeo isn't playing on Wednesday against Colorado don't be surprised if he's going there.

Let's keep up the good play and it was nice to see some solid goaltending

At one point during the game, Tugnutt said that the Habs must have watched the WJC final because they were winning every battle for the puck. I guess they forgot about the part where they play like that for an entire 60 minutes. The last half of the game was just like the Pittsburgh game and every other game during this past couple of weeks. Half-assed passes, playing a reaction game, that's the same stuff that we've seen and it pissed me off to the point where I almost threw my remote across the room. The fact that they didn't score on Hasek isn't the point. They pretty much turned off the lights after the first and, if not for Huet, would have probably had their nuts handed to them.

Who was it that took a run at Huet in the first but didn't get called? And yeah, Varada was chasing after Kovalev all night. Or atleast all first period which is all I saw.

Great game to think otherwise is crazy. Montreal built up a 4 goal first period lead and won by 3 without having to score another goal. In my NHL that is almost impossible. They played almost perfect shut down Defence after the 1st period, although the Fisher line did cycle well. Not to mention Huet played outstanding 40 saves when is the last time Theo made that many let alone allowed just a single goal.

Go Habs Go

Colorado next Aibicher has regained his old form,

PS please start HUET.

Damn nice first period. Sloppy rest of the way, but Huet was as good as we needed Theo to be in the last 22 games.

Wasn't too heartening to see that punk Varada running over Kovalev every few minutes. He took Theo's knees out a couple of years back, and Gilmour got a suspension for knocking him out in retailiation. Now that guy had heart.

Koivu played well as always. Ryder was really slow whenever he was on the ice. The Sens succeeded in knocking Kovalev off his game. Zednik was decent. Ribiero wasn't. Begin was, and didnt let Neil goad him into a fight. Rivet, bless him, took three penalties too many. Bouillon was good, Souray was decent. Streit and Dandenault weren't that that bad.

Rookies did well, I think. No mistakes anyway, and that's the game in a nutshell. Was hilarious to see the Sens going nuts because Huet was so good.

this is exactly what i talked about with bth on the 'Crosby Vs Kovalchuk' topic. there are people like varada and his ilk who are ready to damage other teams' stars. gilmour's suspension is an indication that the league isn't ready to protect its stars like it should. yes, gilmour had heart (he shouldn't have been dumped like he was so quickly - but that's another story). let's hope that our team will have guys with heart like that and that crosby's team will too.

It wasn't the prettiest of wins but a win it was. Although Ott had a lot of shots many were from the outside and they didn't have a lot of quality chances. Huet played solid and his rebound control was excellent. PK was great. It was mentioned by Ron Tugnutt that even though Ottawa controlled the puck a lot in the Habs zone they were kept to the outside by good defensive work. Hopefully this game is a step in the right direction :hlogo:

I thinks Habs played a decent game..great in first period, then protected lead for other 2, which is fine when you have a 4 goal lead. What made this possible was dependable goaltending, which is what Huet gave the team last night. I have nothing against Theo, except his huge contract, and if he put together 3 or 4 solid games, I'd be defending him on here, but his games have been miserable lately! Habs should have easily won against Pens and Devils, but Theo was horrible, and the blame for those losses goes directly on his shoulders. In fact, Theo has been only ordinary in even his best games this year, and thats not good enough for a guy being paid like a superstar. I say keep him out untill he works his butt of to improve, and hopefully he can find some sort of form in the seasons second half. Either that, or trade him for some proven young player, and build for next year.

Who was it that took a run at Huet in the first but didn't get called? And yeah, Varada was chasing after Kovalev all night. Or atleast all first period which is all I saw.

Chris Phillips

I reserve the right to be fairly excited whenever we beat the Sens, the leaf or the Bruins!

But agreed we still have some ways to go to get the team working right...

An interesting stat:

Francis Bouillon: 22:32 1 goal, 1 assist, +1, 8 hits/3 takeaways/0 giveaways/3 blocked shots

An interesting stat:

Francis Bouillon: 22:32 1 goal, 1 assist, +1, 8 hits/3 takeaways/0 giveaways/3 blocked shots

He played quite well, although he was outworked on the one goal the Senators got. He takes a lot of abuse from some on Habsworld, which I don't completely understand. From what I've seen, he's been pretty consistent good all year.

Souray stepped up to help Kovy out. No one else did though.

na na... there was one more guy stepping in could not see who exactly though .. I recorded the game and watched for that...

I did see Kovy was quite happy with himself... He played great yesterday ... he made a couple of great passes in the third period (and Im not talking about the one at the last minute to ribs... still"Genius")

no a couple of passes that if the receiving player... (cant remember who; Sunny D or Ribs maybe) been able to keep it on his stick, would have ended in at least one more goal

Kovy also had Chara wanting to bust him after Kovy slashed at his anckle .... it was awesome no Ref saw that!l

I too was worried Kovy had been underachieving lately, partly due to his team's lack of effort.. But I think yesterday he played a smart game... controlled himself 'enough" and liking the attention from the sens ; He knew he was being targeted and deeked several hits which I think Is always good for the moral!

Edited by CoRvInA

Huet played well. He had a very solid game, and seems especially strong with his positioning and rebound control - issues that Theo's struggled with all year. But, let's not forget that Theodore has the ability to stand on his head and win games with the best of 'em. It just seems that inconsistency is part of his repertoire right now.

Great game to think otherwise is crazy. Montreal built up a 4 goal first period lead and won by 3 without having to score another goal. In my NHL that is almost impossible. Go Habs Go

Colorado next Aibicher has regained his old form,

PS please start HUET.

Exactly... it might have been 4 2 ... by the way it is my opinion that goals like the one Steve Martins made are (faggoty goals) as we say in spanish.... that sticking the stick in under the pads sucks balls whenever I see them who ever scores them! don't care.

The rest of the two period were the best defensive all around playing Ive seen the canadiens do!. Bonk was great at forchecking and when he stripped the puck it usually ended up on a shot on goal (not necesarily by him)

the commentators were saying it all along the sens cant get any quality shots the habs are keeping them on the outsides no descent angles from there ... even Theo would have stopped those shots there! (cant believe I'm actually using theo in this manner of paraphrasing)

So be it lets hope COLORADO KILLS US 7 to nada

Huet played well. He had a very solid game, and seems especially strong with his positioning and rebound control - issues that Theo's struggled with all year. But, let's not forget that Theodore has the ability to stand on his head and win games with the best of 'em. It just seems that inconsistency is part of his repertoire right now.

Like i've always said, watching THEO makes me nervous b/c he'll stand on his head make 30 unbelievable saves in a row and then let in the worst goal. He has always been known to give up bad goals and he usually does it at the worst times.

As unpopular as it is i"d rather have a tandem of Huet / Danis playing goal knowing that they won't make that unbelievable save but won't really give up the softies as often. As long as we get a top notch O player back. I'd be happy with it.

THe Oilers have shown you can win without superstar goalies

Like i've always said, watching THEO makes me nervous b/c he'll stand on his head make 30 unbelievable saves in a row and then let in the worst goal. He has always been known to give up bad goals and he usually does it at the worst times.

As unpopular as it is i"d rather have a tandem of Huet / Danis playing goal knowing that they won't make that unbelievable save but won't really give up the softies as often. As long as we get a top notch O player back. I'd be happy with it.

THe Oilers have shown you can win without superstar goalies

Its the Cloutier look alike contest same reason people here in Vancity have had a love hate relationship with him the bad part is that Theo just now has shown he has the down side Cloutier has always had that up and down side

sad

Its the Cloutier look alike contest same reason people here in Vancity have had a love hate relationship with him the bad part is that Theo just now has shown he has the down side Cloutier has always had that up and down side

sad

LOL

That's it! Theo has Cloutier syndrome.

Some people call it being a shitty goalie.