Zednik Stripped In Favour Of A Blossoming Souray

JMMR

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=149823&hubname=nhl

Scroll to the bottom of the page for notes.

Zednik was stripped of the assistant captaincy in favour of Souray.

On this board this was talk about earlier although Souray was not one of the aforementioned candidates.

Is this just a shake up of team chemistry or is Zednik on his way out???

On the Souray note does anyone else notice he is flying out there, he is carrying the puck into the zone and beating other players one on one to gain the zone and plenty of times a respectful scoring chance.

I never really saw Zednik as a leader. He needs to do more than score clutch goals in the playoffs to be given an "A"

Souray being an assistant captain is great as long as his personal problems are left outside the rink (which, lately, he has shown he has.)

I never really saw Zednik as a leader. He needs to do more than score clutch goals in the playoffs to be given an "A"

Souray being an assistant captain is great as long as his personal problems are left outside the rink (which, lately, he has shown he has.)

I think Souray's refocusing on hockey because of his personnal dramas.

I dont think Zed has much if any leadership out there. I'm sorry to say he's a streaky one-trick pony. I think I'd trade him for a solid d-man and use the vacant spot and ice-time for the kids.

Why is Zednik even being considered for assistant captain? He plays heartless, Souray doesn't. So does our team still use three As then? Rivet, Souray and Kovalev(?). Kovy should wear something for being a part-time leader.

Ah someday...when Bulis is captain...you'll all see... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Zednik is expandable. Not a true first line winger. More like a second liner. But we got him cheap and he should have some trade value.

Somehow I feel he still has a lot more to give. He has the speed and the ability to be at the right place. Imagine Zednik with the same acuracy like Marcus Näslund...

Perezhogin coming up and from what I've seen of him I think he should get more time on the ice. Alos Kastitsyn and Latendresse ready in a few years and almost everybody should realize that Zednik not might be a part of the Habs future. On the other hand, for how long will Kovalev play?

I will admit it. For the first time ever I might think higher of Jan Bulis than Richard Zednik.

In the trade proposal thread I suggested that Bonk and Zednik should be packed for a top 4 defenceman and a slumbering forward, maybe a salary dump. The deal was Bonk and Zednik for Gauthier and Nedved. Something like that maybe should be done.

And finaly about Ribeiro. He still has a lot to lear. To many don't realize that this is Ribs second season as a regular in the NHL. Maybe he has to develop some chemistry with someone other than Dagenais in order to be sucessfull. Ribeiro will never be a rough player. Never. And I doubt he will ever be nominated for the Selke. But he has enough skills to be a offensive threat to any team and with the right surounding he should do fine. Maybe Petr Nedved and Tomas Plekanec.

I really like Zednik, but it is clear to me that he has really lost something over lockout. Given the current crop of young, un-NHL-proven talent, perhaps it's time for the Habs to make a deal to open some space. I think that this change signals that Zednik is being sent a message and that the Habs will hold onto Souray (who is really playing his best hockey of the season).

While I would not be opposed to trading Zednik for a solid top for D-man, I think we are kidding ourselves if we think we've seen the last of him...he's exactly the type of player that comes back to haunt...In my opinion, he certainly doesn't lack skill, he's just not pushing himself hard enough right now...

Zednik has been invisible for quite awhile and has been anything but a leader. This move is sending a him message in an attempt to get his act together. This is just one of the ways that management is trying to shake things up to get the team back on track.

Sourray is a much better choice then Zed but I thought Markov should be given an A.

Yup Markov would have been my choice, or even Bégin. But Souray has great potential, maybe the "A" will bring it out?

Sourray is a much better choice then Zed but I thought Markov should be given an A.

I hate when other people make posts like this but here I go:

Isn't Markov supposed to be the quiet type? Isn't that not what you want from an A?

Also, I like the vote of confidence this gives Souray.

I've said this time and time again but I still hope Montreal keeps Zednik.

He's one of those annoying players you must learn to put up with as an organization.

He's a playoff monster (sorry about using that term, I can't stand McGuire myself, but it works).

I think we should hang on to this guy for that simple reason. Maybe bring in another solid top 6 forward and tell Zednik to "get used to it". After all, what is the ultimate goal for any fan? Well, he's a good vehicle towards that prize.

I hope we don't get rid of him. He becomes a totally different guy in April.

Glad they gave the "A" to Souray. Zed doesn't strike me as the type to fill a leader role either.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I hate when other people make posts like this but here I go:

Isn't Markov supposed to be the quiet type? Isn't that not what you want from an A?

Also, I like the vote of confidence this gives Souray.

Markov may be the "quiet" type, but he leads by example, if you saw what he did last night when he pushed Sourray away from a fight in the middle of play, that was leadership.

and Not that i'm saying sourray is a bad choice but markov better. I would rather have a quiet guy who is our best Dman and leads by example as an A then one who is vocal and not as good (i'm not debating sourray's abilities here...just for the sake of the point that's all)

Not a bad choice but I'd like to see Markov get recognitiion, but they know what they're doing. I agree that this is a great boost of confidence for Sourray too.

Zednik really isn't talented He has a bad shot, he isn't fast and his stickhandling and passing skills are average. His main skill is his strength which results in puck control. Did any of you see him handle Neil last night. He barely had to try to launch him off his fight. He also draws a lot of penalties because guys can't take the puck off him. Zednik should do what he does best instead of trying to be the hero. Right now he's doing bad because he's trying to deke around guys. He just isn't good enough to do that. When he relies on his strength and cuts around people, then he's a very good player. He'll definitely be big in the playoffs. He doesn't play with much heart though and he doesn't have much leadership so I wouldn't put him as captain.

Well, these things have been mentioned already, but hey, this has to do w/ Zed so I've got to voice my opinion. Heh.

Zednik really is fantastic during the playoffs. He can certainly be a game breaker when the playoffs hit. Now, does the organization keep a player just for playoffs... instead of having a guy who brings it every night no matter what the situation is? (Think Begin)

Gainey being Gainey... and his "type" of additions to the team: Begin, Murray. I think there might be a chance that he'd be tired of Zednik (and Ribs/Dags) heartless play. And chances are, there are a few teams out there who wouldn't mind having Zednik in their line-up.

As for the A to Souray... I think it's great. I've alwayz wondered why Zednik had the A. He didn't really strike me as the kind of guy who'd speak up and wow everyone in the locker room. I suppose it was more attributed to his on ice play... and we all know how "inspiring" that has been of late.

On the topic of Markov... I do think he is the quiet type as someone mentioned. Sure he'd be a great on-ice leader, but with so many young guys on the team right now... I think we really do need another guy who'll speak up in the locker room and get the players' attention.

On a side note... Maybe he's to help Komisarek as well, they are simular-type players, cept Komisarek hasn't found is scoring touch yet... but I believe once his confidence increases(and defensive stability), he'll start to show a more offensive side to his game.

Zednik is not a leader but also should not be traded because of lack of effort.....teams have caught on to the same move he always tries and have adjusted to nullify his scoring threats. Zed has to figure out new strategies to make himself useful to this team. One thing he has been doing and doing well lately is to get in front of the goalie duringg PP's. However, i did I cringe when I saw him near the point on one of our PP's vs Ottawa.....he has no business there; he's not a playmaker nor will he ever be one. He is also the kind of player that needs stability on 1 line.....CJ, when is the experimentation going to stop?

Dandenault isn't much of a leader. He talks off to the media too much. I can assure that with Detroit, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Shanahan, McCarty, Draper, etc were the leaders. Not Dandenault.

Souray has always stuck up for his teammates, and hopefully this will be the start of him stepping up to his 03'04 level of production.

As for Zednik, well, we're just seeing that he's not a top line winger. Not a complete shock. Montreal does need a forward to round out the top-six. So far a platoon of rookies (Perezhogin, Higgins now) and even Dagenais have been used. I'm sure Gainey knows what Montreal needs. A top-six forward and a top-four defenseman. But the problem is plenty of other teams need the exact same thing.

Dandenault isn't much of a leader. He talks off to the media too much. I can assure that with Detroit, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Shanahan, McCarty, Draper, etc were the leaders. Not Dandenault.

Souray has always stuck up for his teammates, and hopefully this will be the start of him stepping up to his 03'04 level of production.

As for Zednik, well, we're just seeing that he's not a top line winger. Not a complete shock. Montreal does need a forward to round out the top-six. So far a platoon of rookies (Perezhogin, Higgins now) and even Dagenais have been used. I'm sure Gainey knows what Montreal needs. A top-six forward and a top-four defenseman. But the problem is plenty of other teams need the exact same thing.

Yeah I think this is a positive step for Souray. He has seemed to have stepped it up lately and he definitley has always been one to go to war for his teammates. Maybe the positive recognition on the ice will help him off the ice as well.

I do think Zednik is a top 6 winger. This guy is capable of scoring 30 goals provided he has somebody to play with. Had Zednik,Koivu and Kovalev not been hurt and had he not had to play Bulis and some of the other less than skilled guys, he probably would have 15 goals by now. But unfortunatley injuries have hit and he hasn't been able to play with steady linemates. I betcha by the end of the year, if hes not traded, he'll have 25 goals.

And I definitly agree that Montreal does need another top 6 forward, I'd even go so far as to say a #1 powerforward. And I think thats available through Florida. I think Horton and Luongo can be had for a Theodore, Zednik, Ribeiro and maybe a high draft pick like a 1st or 2nd rounder depending on what else Florida might through in. I know its only fantasy, but I think it could help this team alot.

It would help that's for sure. But Keenan's been burnt in the past, and I really doubt he would deal two bluechip young assets in the same deal.

As for Zed, yeah for sure he can be a top-six guy. Decent second line winger. But not a first line guy..

It would help that's for sure. But Keenan's been burnt in the past, and I really doubt he would deal two bluechip young assets in the same deal.

As for Zed, yeah for sure he can be a top-six guy. Decent second line winger. But not a first line guy..

Yeah I know its only a pipe dream, but maybe...just maybe...something has to go right for the Habs

It'll be interesting to see how the new lines pan out, or if Julien goes back to Zednik, Kovalev, Koivu. Either way I think once Zednik gets used to playing with someone, and the Chemistry starts clicking, he'll get hot and pop some goals. Hes always been a streaky player, and when he gets hot, he scores em in bunches.

Lets hope he gets hot, and soon. If Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder, Zednik and the powerplay with Souray and Markov and most importantly Theodore can get hot, this team is capable of pulling off what the Sabres just did. They just need to get everyone clicking. Maybe a win over the Senators is what was needed.

Zednik is not an "A" i think the only reason he had it on him before was all the injuries and what not, Zednik is one of those back and fourth players.

He is always slow during the first half of the season if you havn't noticed even last season most of his goals came at the end of the seaon when montreal was pulling off those nice win's :).

As for trade i dont think montreal should give him up yet he still needs to find his touch and if anything put him on the second line and why not try bonk on second :lol:, he was sapose to be drafted to score no??

And put perezhogin on the top line with plently of ice time and PP time i think would work.

I'am happy to see souray get the "A" he finaly got over his personal problems and is playing like he is sapose to and getting those nice shots on net, all we really need are those shots to hit the inside of the mesh and then he would be rolling lol.

SO DON'T GIVE UP ON ZEDNIK HE WILL SHINE SOON ENOUGH.