Theo To Van?

habsfan_69

The trade that gohabsgo mentioned would be ludicrous, it would be the Roy trade all over again, man I'm having anxiety attacks thing about it. Huet is in Montreal for one thing and thats to be Theos backup, to think that because he's had a couple of good outings that he's ready to take over as number one doesn't fly IMO. He will continue to get a start every once in a while.

I saw that about "CHOI" rumour too.

Plekanec, Zednik, Theodore and a 2nd round pick for Aebischer and Tanguay?

IMO - Both Plekanec & Zednik? No way. Take one of those names and insert a lesser value player if you ask me. Tanguay is solid but still. This is a stupid rumour. Pleks is injured. Hence, he cannot be traded!

Bogus rumour.

What are you guys talking about? Thats a GREAT trade! :D:lol:

Seriously though, I don't think we'd have the cap room to take all 3 of those guys. And I don't know where we'd be able to fit Plekanec in anyway. We'd probably have to send Lappy or Brunette the other way.

@habs-avs trade:

That would be horrible for th Habs. They downgrade a lot in net and then we have to give Plekanec, Zednik and a 2nd rounder for Tanguay. Tanguay's great but a straight up trade of Theodore for some top player (like Tanguay) would be much better than getting another goalie back in return. Huet is probably better than Aebischer and Aebi has showed signs of being inconsistant as well, so he won't solve our problems.

@the rest:

When Theodore's at his best, he's the best goalie in the league. His problem is being at his best is a very rare occasion. If he found some consistency then there's no one better out there. He still has a lot of potential to become a better goalie than he is now. Keeping him own't hurt us but, in a fair trade, trading him wouldn't either.

Bourdon would be great but if this trade happens, expect to see a current NHLer coming back the other way. Or else we'd be in trouble for 5 years before the return of the trade will have any impact. Maybe we'd get someone like Kesler.

Actually Bourdon will most likely be with the Canucks next season. He almost made the team this season, but they sent him back down to develop more.

Guys like Bryan Allen and Ryan Kesler are going nowhere. Especially Allen as he is really the only stay-at-home type guy we have. Guys like Bertuzzi and Morrison won't be dealt either. Forget Jovo too. Nonis most likely won't even make a trade...........especially not for Theodore. :rolleyes:

théodore isn't going to be moved unless some huge thing comes our way.

what qualifies as huge?

another goalie of quality = luongo, brodeur, vokoun, etc.

a big player in replacement = a quality (1st/2nd) defenseman + a draft pick

a couple of ridiculously good young prospects = horton, malkin, etc. + another super young prospect

:king: :hlogo: :king:

théodore isn't going to be moved unless some huge thing comes our way.

what qualifies as huge?

another goalie of quality = luongo, brodeur, vokoun, etc.

a big player in replacement = a quality (1st/2nd) defenseman + a draft pick

a couple of ridiculously good young prospects = horton, malkin, etc. + another super young prospect

:king: :hlogo: :king:

GM's (with BG of course) get drunk at a strip joint and after the 7th lap dance from this gal with HUGE quadruple D's Gainey sends Theo to the canucks for the Janitor at GM PLACE

GM's (with BG of course) get drunk at a strip joint and after the 7th lap dance from this gal with HUGE quadruple D's Gainey sends Theo to the canucks for the Janitor at GM PLACE

good funny but that's all it's worth :)

What's going around about that is, that will only happen if Colorado gets Biron from buffalo.

And if brodeur waves his no trade clause to come to mtl then mtl will trade theo to vancouver for most probably bertuzzi thats whats going around and what has peoples attention. (but its only a rumor so iam not saying anything that i mentioned will happen)

And if "ifs" and "buts" were candies and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. That's a pretty sizable set of dominoes that would have to fall, and I don't see even a wobble that would start it on its way.

rumour has it that theodore might be heading west if thats the case i would wanna see montreal get a star player in return.

No star player on the Canucks is worth Montreal's "Hart" & Soul.

As I've said many times before, if we can get an impact player in return ie: Bertuzzi, I wouldn't be surprised to this deal done.

In the playoffs:

Theodore = Plays better

Bertuzzi = Plays worse

I wouldn't want to see Theo leave im still convinced hes a good goaltender but the worst thing about him is that he isnt consistant he can look like a star one game and then look like a AHL goalie the next game.

The last half decade he's won a Vezina and Hart trophy, and has been an All-star for a few seasons. He's been to the 2nd round of the playoffs twice, something neither Bertuzzi, Jovanoski, Cloutier, or Naslund has done.

You want more consistency? Get some defenders. More than one good defender. Guys that don't make idiotic mistakes during Game 7's (Rivet), guys that don't have 1 All-star season then fall back to Earth (Souray, who by the way, you all make excuses for when he's less consistent than Theodore). Theodore has had that and Brisebois in front of him his whole career.

J.S. Giggy isn't consistent. Cloutier isn't consistent. Theodore is consistent. He just can't play like a Vezina goalie every game like some deluded fans expect. He still manages to carry this team. Before Kovalev, Theodore was this only team's superstar.

If Theodore went to the Canucks, he'd be their best goalie ever.

He has that consistency that Brodeur has shown his whole career, that IT that Theo has lacked in all of his except for 1 regular season.

Last season, Theodore was an All-star.

The Canucks' last All-star goalie? Kirk McLean in 1992.

I do think Huet is flukey right now, but thats not a bad thing. Maybe Theodore will kick it up a notch(to steal Emeril's catch phrase).

Whenever my faith in Theo waivers, I remember that series against Boston, he will get it back. I really hate to make excuses but between his injury, the new goalie equipment, and the change in ice dimensions I believe there is a lot to get adjusted to, some goalies are adjusting better.

Bar

Theodore will be hard to move because he's getting paid like a franchise goalie but plays like a backup.

True.

-- but it wouldn't be impossible to attract interest in Théo:

Gainey: "Hello fellow GMs. Yes, José's struggling, being booed in Montréal and taking a beating in the local press, that's brutal and it's throwing him off his game. It's tough in Montréal. We had the same problem a few years back with a goalie named Roy. Anyway, we might have to make a deal but get something better back this time -- so who's interested in our Vezina/Hart winner?"

Not knocking Huet here, I think he is a solid goalie. However, do you see anyone offering Bertuzi or Tanguay for him? No and you wont. Theodore is the better of the 2, period. We would be losing a rare commodity, a Vezina winner, so should be rewarded equally, pick a player or 2, send 8 scouts type of thing. I think there is a good chance Bob would move him to Van or Col, but suspect they are balking at the offers Mr.Gainey put to them. I suspect something like....

"Theodore, you want my #1 goalie? You nuts ? Okay maybe for Bertuzzi and Morrison hows that sound? Why you laughing? Hold it a second, call on other line, think it's a Colorado number.... Oh you still there, sorry about that, yeah about those 2 players. You know Jose won a Vezina don't you? Ok, I'll get back to you."

Not that I want to defend Eklund because I won't, but it's been said for a long time that the Rangers were the leading candidate to get Sykora, and I know we disagree on the Theo issue as we had this same discussion yesterday I think and we agreed to disagree.

That's why i love Habsworld, There are always going to be differences of opinion but unlike most other forums, the people here are smart enough to explain their point of view and understand that people might not agree, because different people like different players etc... so thumbs up to habsworld and all of you and let's keep up the discussions whether we agree with each other or not. If for no other reason that it makes my days more fun and distracts me from doing work.

Oh yeah,

And Just for the sake of rumour spreading, I saw this on another forum where they claim that it is from the "sports guy on CHOI" i have no idea what that is but here it is

To Colorado: Plekanek, Zednik, Theo and 2nd round pick

To Montreal: Abeisher (no idea how to spell it) and Tanguay.

From my perspective I like it. Tanguay is an emerging superstar and is still very young. Abisher can fill in till season end or further.

Again, I'm not sure about the source and this is just for the sake of discussion.

No way in Hell would I give Plekanec in this deal ....

Edited by Frankie4Fingers

@habs-avs trade:

That would be horrible for th Habs. They downgrade a lot in net and then we have to give Plekanec, Zednik and a 2nd rounder for Tanguay. Tanguay's great but a straight up trade of Theodore for some top player (like Tanguay) would be much better than getting another goalie back in return. Huet is probably better than Aebischer and Aebi has showed signs of being inconsistant as well, so he won't solve our problems.

Forget about a deal with the Avs then. Aebischer of Budaj will be in a deal if Theodore is coming back and we'd need a scorer to replace Tanguay. Aebischer is playing some lights out hockey right now (Huet better? lol). But a forward for a goalie deal will never happen.

Theodore has never put two really good seasons together in a row. That's the definition of inconsistent. And for God's sake, his save % is .899 and his GAA is like 3.20. That's the definition of ridiculous. And every time the opposing team crosses the blueline, he's on his knees. That's the defintion of mediocre goaltending.

He's definitely tradable and Gainey should certainly test the market. BUT:

1. We'd be clinically insane to go with Huet-Danis. I know it's cranky of me, but I wish people would stop going bananas over Huet or Danis whenever one of them has a nice game. Sure, good on them, but sheesh...neither is a proven #1 goalie. We need one, either Theo or someone else. Therefore, we'd better get at least a decent goalie back in any trade, and we'd better make sure to sign one of the gaolie FAs in the summer.

2. Bertuzzi is high risk. Put it this way: he's had trouble handling the media and the pressure in VANCOUVER. :lol: Imagine how he'd fare in a *serious* hockey town. I waver on this, but Big Bert is a pretty erratic presence to get back for your 'star' goalie.

3. In the land of Gainey, where there's smoke, there's seldom fire. The man plays it too close to the vest for most of these rumours to be accurate.

What about a package combining Morrison and Alex Auld, for Theo and someone else?

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

What a joke. Brendan Morrison? He's hardly put up any points playing with Bertuzzi and Naslund. Why would Montreal need another soft centre, exactly?

I can see where the Bertuzzi rumours come from. Montreal has needed a power forward for ages, everyone knows that. And Bertuzzi has shown star quality talent. Morrison isn't on the same level.

Edited by smon

What a joke. Brendan Morrison? He's hardly put up any points playing with Bertuzzi and Naslund. Why would Montreal need another soft centre, exactly?

I can see where the Bertuzzi rumours come from. Montreal has needed a power forward for ages, everyone knows that. And Bertuzzi has shown star quality talent. Morrison isn't on the same level.

Amen to that. Morrison and Auld??? We don't need either of them We have are own young goalie prospects and a bunch of UFA goalies this summer. Morrison is a joke!!!

@habs-avs trade:

@the rest:

When Theodore's at his best, he's the best goalie in the league. His problem is being at his best is a very rare occasion. If he found some consistency then there's no one better out there. He still has a lot of potential to become a better goalie than he is now. Keeping him own't hurt us but, in a fair trade, trading him wouldn't either.

I just can't agree with the statement that Theodore, when at his best is the best in the league. IMO he has never been in the same league as Brodeur, Luongo, Hasek. He hasn't shown the agility, awareness or toughness of those guys and Theo is a complete liability handling the puck. To make matters worse he is small in stature and now that he has lost a little desire and been subject to injury he is not as lucky to have pucks hit him.

This Bertuzzi-Theo exchange sounds much too good to be true but then again I would never have counted on Boston trading Thornton for what they did either. With the weakness Mtl have on defence it doesn't seem logical that Gainey would move Theo, Huet and Danis are not ready for prime time in Mtl.