Habs' Brain Trust

Gainey, Andre Savard, Guy Carbonneau, Doug Jarvis.

Is it the best in hockey? What do you think? Who's better?

Now, if we can just start seeing results on the ice... ^_^

That's a tough one.

Detroit's 'brain trust has done well with poor draft picks. Philadephia's done well (even though I DO NOT like Bobby Clarke). Dallas had done well for a while too. Of course, we can't forget New Jersey.

Now, for the 1st three it may have been, in great part due to the topless ( ;) ) cap. If that was the case, we'll see how well they do with the restrictions place upon them.

Other teams, Montreal included, have seen high times and low times. The only teams that I know of who have consistently struggled over the last 10 - 15 years are Pittsburg & the Islanders.

But now... we have a proven 'succeeder' in Gainey. In Carbonneau, we have a guy who's experience and has learned the ropes so is as ready as they come. In Jarvis, we have another guy who's knowledgeable in the game and has coaching experience also. Finally in Savard, we have a guy who's got experience in the management end and the player development end too. He seems to have a good eye for prospects too.

So, on the whole, it looks like a good group. They all know each other very well, they are all pretty well on the same page, they are all experienced former players who know how to win and who know the road to he cup. In all, this can't be a bad team at all.

Darn good, I bet... the best? I don't know.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Gainey, Andre Savard, Guy Carbonneau, Doug Jarvis.

Is it the best in hockey? What do you think? Who's better?

Now, if we can just start seeing results on the ice... ^_^

I would love to see Larry Robinson too...

But this brings to mind .... who would be the HArd Ass of the Staff? who would a player not want to piss off? Carb for sure!! Gainey for now yes! Ok good but next year? when Gainey's not directly behind the bench?

I dont know I think I've answered it myself... But I'm comparing it to a Sutter type coach who no one wants to cross!

we shall soon find out with 40 games left!

I will believe they are the best when they win the cup. Give them a few years but I believe they have the power and the future players to do so.

As of right now Dallas New Jersey and Detroit have the cups to back up their brain trust.

I will believe they are the best when they win the cup. Give them a few years but I believe they have the power and the future players to do so.

As of right now Dallas New Jersey and Detroit have the cups to back up their brain trust.

didn't we sort of acquire Dallas' cup brain trust?

It looks like The Big Three to me,...Gainey, Savard and Carbonneau.......BUT lets see first if.....

Gainey can improve his roster each year from the previous year,....

if Savard draft picks tend to become great picks,....

and if Carbonneau can get the max from Gainey's roster year after year.

If ever the CH would be regressing this year to finnish lower in the final standing as compared from their

last season,.......it would mean that Bob as under-performed on the second year of his agenda,.....thats clear to me,....but we are not there yet,... even if we are flirting big time with that possibility.

By firing Julien and enrolling himself to coach the remaining season.....he is doing the very best thing he could

in order not to let that happen......I appreciate that his unique versatility can help him repare some of his

questionable moves undertaken prior to this season.

Also, let's remember the Habs have Pierre Gauthier too! Also, I must give a tip of the hat to Trevor Timmons.

Gainey, Savard, Gauthier, Carbonneau, Jarvis & Melanson.

I have no doubts about Carbonneau at all. It's a fact that in 2001-02 Therrien and Carbonneau as assistant upset the Bruins. They did it because the Habs were aggressively forechecking and they played spectacular without the puck. In 2002-03, Carbonneau left and Therrien was fired. Nuff said!

Carbonneau made Therrien look good. In 2003-04, the magic was gone.

The Magic is Back.

I think we beat Philly . They do have Dean Lombardi, former Sharks GM as a scout.

Edmonton has Lowe, Huddy and TMac.

Canucks have Nonis, Tambellini and Crawford.

I hate to even say it but Toronto has Ferguson, Quinn, Trapp, Maurice (it won't last, Paul will be hired) and Button.

I'd have to check but when you start adding up trophies, Montreal looks pretty solid concerning the topic.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

didn't we sort of acquire Dallas' cup brain trust?

Yep. Exactly. Gainey and Carbo are here now - scratch off Dallas. Detroit lost Bowman, NJ lost Robinson and Pjilly hasn't won in 20 years. Yeah, Bowman was replaced by another great coach but my point is that none of these teams have won Cups with their current coaches. So the argument "we're not the best because we haven't won a Cup" doesn't mean anything. In fact, I believe the only team to have a coach that has previously won a cup for their team is Tampa Bay.

If we're talking scouts than the battle is between Ottawa and Montreal. Detroit and Philadelphia are also 2 drafting powerhouses. It's the drafting that insures a team will consistently be good even more so than the coaching.