Sportsnet Reports Rift Between Gainey And Theo

gohabsgo252006

On Sportsnet's HOckey Central,

The panel claims that earlier in the year, BG held a meeting with THEO and his equipment company Rep, from Itech (I believe) where BG asked that he switch equipment back to either his old company or a different, believing that the new pads supplied by Itech were too hard causing bigger and less controlled rebounds.

They claim that THEO refused and it even got to the point where THEO said that he wouldn't change it and if BG wanted to trade him then he should go ahead.

They claim that his dispute is not over and will rear it's head again at some point. They also said that BG will not be happy that this private meeting was leaked. And that it was all done obviously in the best interest of the team. And that THEO did not refuse the change for financial reasons, claiming that if it was he would have accepted the offer of a larger company.

Could this be the reason that the rumours surrounding THEO are still out there? Is this all being blown out of proportion?

I just thought I'd pass it along as I found it to be very interesting and brings some more very interesting questions.

The panel claims that earlier in the year, BG held a meeting with THEO and his equipment company Rep, from Itech (I believe) where BG asked that he switch equipment back to either his old company or a different, believing that the new pads supplied by Itech were too hard causing bigger and less controlled rebounds.

They claim that THEO refused and it even got to the point where THEO said that he wouldn't change it and if BG wanted to trade him then he should go ahead.

They claim that his dispute is not over and will rear it's head again at some point. They also said that BG will not be happy that this private meeting was leaked. And that it was all done obviously in the best interest of the team. And that THEO did not refuse the change for financial reasons, claiming that if it was he would have accepted the offer of a larger company.

Could this be the reason that the rumours surrounding THEO are still out there? Is this all being blown out of proportion?

I just thought I'd pass it along as I found it to be very interesting and brings some more very interesting questions.

Holly molly this now is the queen of rumors not even rumor this is yadda yadda unsatisfied housewives style blabber! Not intended to you goHabsgo... rather to Sports net wifey!!... It doesnt make sense... why would Theo preffer pads that gave more rebounds! and if it did why wouldnt Theo just have them custom made to fix it even if that particular model was in fact crappy and sold to the masses..

Its like Kovalev preffering to use a skate that slowed him down! just cause he signed a contract with them??? make any sense??? gonna have to forget this one!

Holly molly this now is the queen of rumors not even rumor this is yadda yadda unsatisfied housewives style blabber! Not intended to you goHabsgo... rather to Sports net wifey!!... It doesnt make sense... why would Theo preffer pads that gave more rebounds! and if it did why wouldnt Theo just have them custom made to fix it even if that particular model was in fact crappy and sold to the masses..

Its like Kovalev preffering to use a skate that slowed him down! just cause he signed a contract with them??? make any sense??? gonna have to forget this one!

I agree completely, with you and I think it's ridiculous, but the way they made it sound, was that Gainey was trying to help him with the pad thing, while THeo would have none of it saying it was just him playing badly and not the fault of the pads. I hope that clarifies a bit what they were saying.

It doesn't make much sense to me either, but I can see how a small disagreement like that can snowball into the continuing rumours of tHeo being shopped.

Ok now this is just silly...Never a dull moment in Montreal...Anything to create a controversy

uh, this was reported by sportsnet, which is based in toronto.

With the Habs i meant.

The location of the Network is irrelevant

Story is about the Montreal Canadiens which the last time i checked were based in Montreal ^_^

I've noticed that when Theo has to move from one side to the other, he very often slides way past where he needs to, and ends up out of position. I thought that it might have been something to do with his pads being too slick or smooth, or he was just over-compensating for the smaller pads.

Who's on Sportsnet's hockey panel anyway? The ex-Leaf alumni club? Wilbur, Kipper and one of the other idiots who helped run the team into the ground during the Ballard years.

In my opinion with Theo's pads they kinda look a bit too dull don't you guys think? Like look at Cristobal Huet's pads if there's any trading that's going to happen why don't they trade eachother's pads. loll

Who's on Sportsnet's hockey panel anyway? The ex-Leaf alumni club? Wilbur, Kipper and one of the other idiots who helped run the team into the ground during the Ballard years.

Essentially that is right, the panel was made up of Darren Millard, Nick Kypreos and BIll Waters. All claiming their top notch "sources"

Actually I believe the story, if only for the fact that they never EVER talk about the Habs.

They also said that BG will not be happy that this private meeting was leaked.

Pretty ironic coming from the source of the rumour. :lol:

Theo's pads may be a problem. But are most of the weak goals not going high above his shoulders as a result of going down to early. I will admit that some pucks have seemed to go through his glove but I have seen that on numerous occasions from almost every goalie in the league. So I would say that yes Theo’s rebound control this year has been awful at best but he is getting better. One final note I will have to agree with other HW members Sports Net is making way too much of this.

It is possible that Theo likes the pads, or perhaps, is more afraid of changing equipement right in the middle of the season.

While his rebound control has been week, it is more on the high shots that he is not getting his hands on, rather then ones bouncing off his pads. Since he is usually on his knees, the puck rarely hits his pads anyway. :)

I also agree that he is struggling with high shots and his glove hand more then anything. I highly doubt that Gainey would trade him for not changing gear. I suspect Gainey is simply going to tell Theo to play better, regardless of the equipment, and they will be buddies again.

Of all the dumb rumours regarding Theodore, this tops them all. You don't trade a goalie because of a fight over equipment size. It is just mind boggling the things some of these sports announcers will blurt out in a vain attemp to sound interesting. It should also be noted that Darren Draegar of Sportsnet stated in a Friday broadcast that several general managers told him that Gainey is not shopping Theodore. Apparently, GM's have inquired and Gainey has said 'no.' It would seem sportsnet has contradicted itself.

QUOTE(gohabsgo252006 @ Jan 17 2006, 07:25 PM) *

THeo would have none of it saying it was just him playing badly and not the fault of the pads.

laugh.gif

That's priceless! Did Bob respond with, "OK, we'll keep the pads, and get rid of YOU!"

Memo to Theodore: blame the pads!!

Hey maybe we could keep jose and trade his pads I wonder what we could get? ahhh probably mogilny!

Good for Jose. He is not blaming anything else for his inconsistancy. He even took less money from Itech than he could have made with Vaughn. He is playing better now. Soon everyone will be back on the bandwagon.

Go Habs Go

I have noticed that the shots are beating him over the shoulder as have most of you. Maybe he should get new pads. I know the dimmensions are limited now, but how about thickness? What if they were in inch or 2 thicker? when he was down that would put his shoulders an inch or 2 higher, thus cutting down the opennings>

On a serious note, don't go to your knees before the shot, he looks like Patrick Roy facing LeClair, everyone knows the top is open so they shoot for it. As for this supposed rift, if Gainey told me to change my pads, having had the chance he has had to evaluate my play and his wisdom, I would tell Itech, "So Long and Thanks for the Fish, or new pads please, these don't work for me."

Also, if I was Itech's rep I would have solved this problem before it became public. What if Theo was to wear another companies pads now and his save percentage jumped back above.900? Would anyone buy their pads?

I'd be interested to know who else is wearing those Itech pads, and how their stats compare to last season's. If it's happening to other goalies wearing them, then maybe it is the pads themselves.

All I can say to this is that this morning, when I watched the RDS TV sports news, a short interview came up about that issue and Théodore said it was an overblown thing and that there was no such meeting between him & Bob Gainey.

For the life of me, I can't see why someone would lie about that. I'm not tha naïve to think that people don't lie but on something like this and in front of a very persistent media, it would seem to be a foolish thing to do.

:king: :hlogo: :king: