Palffy Retires

les_glorieux

Pittsburgh Penguins right wing Ziggy Palffy has announced his retirement, effective immediately, due to personal reasons.

Palffy told the Slovak newspaper, Sport Daily, that a chronic shoulder injury was to blame, "I have talked to my doctor and he did not recommend a third operation. There is no point in suffering any longer."

The native of Skalica, Slovakia played 12 NHL seasons with the New York Islanders, the Los Angeles Kings and the Penguins. In 684 career games, he had 329 goals and 384 assists for 713 points.

The 33-year-old signed a $13.5-million US, three-year deal with Pittsburgh in August. He was earning $3.5 million this season and was slated to make $5.5 million in 2006-07 and $4.5 million in 2007-08.

Palffy was drafted by the New York Islanders in the second round of the 1991 Entry Draft. He played six seasons with the Islanders (1993-1999) before getting traded to the Los Angeles Kings on June 20, 1999.

The 5-10 and 183-pound right wing signed with the Penguins as a free agent on August 8, 2005 and ranks second on the team with 42 points in 42 games and his plus-5 rating was the best on the team.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=151267&hubname=nhl

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=151267&hubname=nhl

TSN.ca with AP files

1/18/2006 10:42:33 AM

Pittsburgh Penguins right wing Ziggy Palffy has announced his retirement, effective immediately, due to personal reasons.

Palffy told the Slovak newspaper, Sport Daily, that a chronic shoulder injury was to blame, "I have talked to my doctor and he did not recommend a third operation. There is no point in suffering any longer."

The native of Skalica, Slovakia played 12 NHL seasons with the New York Islanders, the Los Angeles Kings and the Penguins. In 684 career games, he had 329 goals and 384 assists for 713 points.

The 33-year-old signed a $13.5-million US, three-year deal with Pittsburgh in August. He was earning $3.5 million this season and was slated to make $5.5 million in 2006-07 and $4.5 million in 2007-08.

Palffy was drafted by the New York Islanders in the second round of the 1991 Entry Draft. He played six seasons with the Islanders (1993-1999) before getting traded to the Los Angeles Kings on June 20, 1999.

The 5-10 and 183-pound right wing signed with the Penguins as a free agent on August 8, 2005 and ranks second on the team with 42 points in 42 games and his plus-5 rating was the best on the team.

Maybe his shoulder was the reason why he's been having a bad season. The lowly Penguins just lost their best player. (arguably, at the moment - just so some Crosby fanboy doesn't argue a small comment).

It's been nice watching you, Ziggy. B)

Maybe his shoulder was the reason why he's been having a bad season. The lowly Penguins just lost their best player. (arguably, at the moment - just so some Crosby fanboy doesn't argue a small comment).

It's been nice watching you, Ziggy. B)

I wouldn't say Palffy's season was BAD.....well...Maybe for "Palffy standards" but he was still helping out his team...What a loss for Pittsburgh they should have saw it potentially coming before they signed him!

I wouldn't say Palffy's season was BAD.....well...Maybe for "Palffy standards" but he was still helping out his team...What a loss for Pittsburgh they should have saw it potentially coming before they signed him!

I don't know his point totals but I haven't heard his name since the start of the season. He's really been staying out of the spotlight.

I haven't actually checked this myself but on Sportsnet, they said Palffy was second on the Penguins in points and that he's only missed 4 games. Seems odd to me though, I haven't heard his name that much this season.