Game Thread | Canadiens Vs. Calgary | 01/19/06

Spider-Man NL

That was one of the worst final minutes i've ever seen. Absolutely pathetic.

I know tell me about it.

HOW THE HELL DID THEY DO SO BAD IN THE LAST MINUTE - THEY HAD MOMENTUM!

$R$/?%"/?&YU?%$?%Y&J*&%UYT%R$*(&UY?T%$R/E"*&?%R$%?T K$ %MRT/$KM$R%T%?)R/( $)R()/$( R)/"IOO)KCM/COCM)O"KF)(I%R)F(T%()*"/$ )(%R)%T%%R$(F)(/)$(OR)*/)(E/)R(!"/////%)_)(*&?%$/"()*&?%$)T)IFR$T%R$)P(%)()E(IEOM

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was not a good game at all. Theo's goaletending again left alot to be desired. Bad luck on that Ryder post, Getting our second best defenceman and best left in the lineup thrown out early, for attempt to injure during a fight C'mon. Where was Koivu tonight, not his best game, Kovalev was floating until his goal.

I'm not impressed and Neither should Bob or Guy be.

Well tough game, although the Canadiens were without their top two defenders, that does not excuse the efforts put forth by the remaining 5 and some of the terrible chip out attempts by the forwards. Vancouver will hopefully turn a different event. One thing I don’t understand about this team is when they decide to show up. Prior to the final minute where the Habs could not clear the last 5 minutes belonged to the Canadiens, they beat the Flames to the puck and made moves one on one to beat players and create offensively. This is Bob’s first loss behind the bench for the Canadiens and I don’t think he will be happy with the lacklustre effort put forward. I as everyone will expect much more for this team and I believe Gainey will have them flying Saturday night.

To make the night worse New Jersey won in a shootout and Atlanta is currently beating the Kings 5-4 end of the second.

The Habs looked very disorganized at times - partly the result of missing their top 2 defencemen. Not too many teams are successful without their best D-men. I don't think Theo looked 'terrible,' but I AM starting to wonder if Koivu is playing hurt. He doesn't seem to have his usual acceleration. Meanwhile, the usual culprits (Zednik, Bulis, Ribeiro) fail to hit the broad side of a barn. And that refereeing, oooh maaah loooorrrrd. :blink:

Add that weird mix of factors to the Flames' incredible defensive and team play, and you have a defeat. But I think it'd be a mistake for the Habs to allow that freakish loss to derail the confidence they've started builing under Gainey. Get Souray back, correct a few things, regroup...and please God, beat those scumbags in Vancouver.

Meanwhile, the usual culprits (Zednik, Bulis, Ribeiro) fail to hit the broad side of a barn.

Dont put Bulis in the same group as Zed or Ribs. At least if Bulis doesn't do anything offensively, he's still useful. Can't say the same about the other two.

Well, I guess its clearer now that BG+GC will have to deal with the same problems CJ had, which is mainly inconsistency from some talented players.

Now that Gainey chose a coach change because he couldnt do a shake-up trade; perhaps he can focus on making more minor but useful trades.

So far for Trizzaks' theory.

«À la fin de la journée, le meilleur entraîneur est celui qui a dirigé le plus de matchs en séries. Gainey fait partie de ce groupe»

«Cette équipe est entre bonnes mains. Le Canadien va participer aux séries, il n'y a pas de doute là-dessus»

- Darryl Sutter

:hlogo:

Even though we lost, there was some effort tonight.....against a team which regularly outhits its opposition, I thought we held our own in that department.........I like the way we broke out of our zone with nice crisp passes......though, we have still have a floaters, tonight I would have to include Sunny, Higgins, and Ryder (who does not look comfortable yet with K & K) in that group.......Komi and Streit got good experience against quality forechecking.....they didn't always succeed but at least they competed and should learn from this experience.......our biggest problem remains to be that we cannot control the opposition cycle behind our net.....unfortunately, Ribs was playing a tired center when Iginla got his game-winner by just pure hustle..........the worst part about watching this game was having to listen to Ryan Walter and that play-by-play guy .....everything is so pro-Calgary that I'm starting to think that they may have inferiority complex.....how many times did they mention the "northwest out-of-town scores and standings"?......and the coup-de-grace was when the habs finally got on the PP after the Flames had gotten a several PPs of their own, the play-by-play guy says "the Canadiens will now go on ANOTHER powerplay" ..........and at the end of the game, he completed dished the Habs efforts by saying the final score flattered the Canadiens.....I just don't remember the Flames having that many good chances during 5-on-5.

Hey, give me another chance.

Maybe the game is based on positions used...

I think I'll stop there before we need a disclaimer for every thread I post in.

Hey Trizzak, don't give up... you know what they say, if first you don't succeed, try try again :)

ya the telcasting was pisspoor, and they were calling dumb penalties both ways in the 1st.. but I think souray should get what he deserves and thats the 2 game suspension colin campbell has been giving everyone for anything. I do agree that the announcing was very unprofessional as always. I find the best way is to listen to the fan 960 with the tv muted. I think the kovalev goal was a fluke and the canadiens are luck they stayed in this game at all. I dont see how the flames played "poorly" 5v5 as they lead in shots by a large margin all game long.

Ya well, Tucker didn't get anything for bashing someone in the head with a helmet, so I don't see how Surray should get anything for wearing a bandage on his wrist.

Oh... wait a minute, Tucker's a Leaf so... darn, looks like Surray's screwed.

I would feel great if it was a great game and we got robbed by Kiprusoff.....but we got outplayed, out shot, out hit, out evrything.....

I'm bummed

We need a couple of changes.....Not like get rid of everyone....just one or two guys added that are tough fers ......that way some of our guys on the fence of being tough could stand up.........

I was hoping Komi would be that guy, but the more I watch him I realize he's just not mean enough.... too much of a nice guy..

we need a mean streak kind of player

No suspension for SOURAY!!!!!!!!!

Thank-god

Something is wrong with Koivu. That last minute and a half wasted in our zone was the direct result of his horrible giveaway pass up the middle to start the rush.

Koivu has not been the same since coming back from injury. He is playing average at best and right now we need him to step up!

ya the telcasting was pisspoor, and they were calling dumb penalties both ways in the 1st.. but I think souray should get what he deserves and thats the 2 game suspension colin campbell has been giving everyone for anything. I do agree that the announcing was very unprofessional as always. I find the best way is to listen to the fan 960 with the tv muted. I think the kovalev goal was a fluke and the canadiens are luck they stayed in this game at all. I dont see how the flames played "poorly" 5v5 as they lead in shots by a large margin all game long.

Yeah they did beat us Didnt exactly beat the crap out of us! beat us all over yes!

but I do think that First period Referree whistle frenzee would have shaken any team out of focus! But thats what this team has to work on! getting back to the play! concentration! and a double dosage of that for THeo!

Not that the Habs outplayed the Flames at all or played above average but there's no team out there that can neutralize the Habs's speed like Pollock and his striped boys. The Flames were diving pansies all night and they were never called. The first two Calgary goals were both on penalties called on innocent Habs who were framed from diving Flames. Also, it was a stupid call to kick Souray out of the game. I'm assuming that he was kicked out do to his wrist protectors. That penalty killed us and we lost as a direct result of it. I'd like to know what our record is this season with Pollock reffing.

Not that the Habs outplayed the Flames at all or played above average but there's no team out there that can neutralize the Habs's speed like Pollock and his striped boys. The Flames were diving pansies all night and they were never called. The first two Calgary goals were both on penalties called on innocent Habs who were framed from diving Flames. Also, it was a stupid call to kick Souray out of the game. I'm assuming that he was kicked out do to his wrist protectors. That penalty killed us and we lost as a direct result of it. I'd like to know what our record is this season with Pollock reffing.
Souray got thrown out because of the support he wears on his wrist. Anytime a player is cut during a fight and the other player is wearing a foreign object on any hard part it calls for an automatic match penalty, so the ref made the right call on that one. Your right the diving was pathetic, especially the delayed one by Iginla, the ref had to be blind not to see that was a dive.

Wow.

I hate the Flames just as much as the next person, just ask kerp. But it seems like a lot of this Flames hate is uncalled for. Phaneuf headhunting? Not a chance. Diving pansies? Please. You think Sutter would stand for a team of divers? He'll coach the occasional goonery but he will never stand for diving and the guys know it.

You guys lost. Move on. And yeah, I watched the entire game last night. I'll look for any little thing to call the Flames out on just ask, well, any Flames fan I know. And I didn't see anything. Yeesh.

I didn't see any headhunting but the diving was very obvious. There was one time where the player thought he was going to get checked but didn't - but it was too late, he had already dove on the ground and been caught red handed. No call there. Watch the replays of Souray's crosschecking penalty (he made slight contact but then Iginla dove on the ground) and Sundstrom's penalty for who knows what. The Flames scored on those two powerplays. That alone is enough to say that the ref has failed and decided the game.

I would not say the diving was obvious. I believe that Iginla lost his balance after the Souray cross check should it have been a penalty well in my opinion no, but did Iginla dive not at all he was turning lost his balance and then fell to the ice. Sunny did impede the player slightly with his stick. But I would have to say the Flames dive just as much as an other team in the league no more no less, and if as a player you have gained the respect of the officials in the league and when you fall they call a penalty even if it is a weak one once in a while then good for you and the more players you have of that nature all the better for your team.

Both times were half dives so it's either you call nothing or send them both to the box. There were also other times where they were caught diving but nothing was called. In the average game, you see no diving and in this game it happened several times. That's more than average. Especially for a team that claims to be so tough, like the Flames, they should be standing up for themselves not dropping like some little nancy boy.