Game Thread | Canadiens @ Canucks | 01/22/06

Spider-Man NL

You say Koivu has been the backbone for the "worst decade of Montreal" hockey and that he needs a supporting cast.

Yet you say Theodore sucks? You must be blind.

Theodore is the backbone of this team. If it wasn't for him, this team wouldn't even have made the playoffs once the past half decade. And Theodore deserves a lot supporting cast. Ohlund and Jovanoski will be great for him. It'll be great to finally see him with some talent.

I doubt it....because even when Theo stands on his head for 10 games or a round in the play-offs it never lasts...............never.....he becomes very if not less then average every time after a short winning streak. This is the reality. I only know it because when he was hot, I would brag like an idiot only to put my foot in my mouth....it never lasts more then a month.

I don't want to bash him.I'm as real as Habs fans get, and I'm just tierd of him not living up to his expectations. I think he is too.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I've always defended Theo. But he only 'bailed out' the Habs consistently for one season in his career, the MVP year. This season, he's been a dog. You can see the whole team sag when their $5-million man lets in yet another key goal (whether soft, or an OK goal that a really sharp goalie would have stopped). Yes, Theo has a very high ceiling. But he has not put together two excellent NHL seasons in his career, and this year, he's compressed a lifetime's worth of inconsistency into one season.

Anyway, if he's so great, why CAN'T we ask him to 'bail us out' year after year? What, did he get tired all of a sudden? For pete's sake, CuJo made a 20-year career out of making cruddy defences look good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Theo's career arc is looking much closer to Felix Potvin's than Patrick Roy's at this point, that's for sure.

In any case, someone - whether Theo, or Koivu, or Souray, or Kovalev - has to grab this team by the throat and WILL it to win. I still think Koivu is playing hurt, but he might also (finally) be fed up of what appears to be a team of babies, psychological weaklings and headcases. Interesting times...alas.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I call this the "VIcne Carter Rule" I don't care how good he will be on another team if he's gonna suck here.

Vince Carter didn't want to play for the Raptors, Jose Theodore wants to play for the Canadiens. Carter was purposely slacking, Theodore just seems tired after 3 seasons of carrying this team. Vince Carter was frequently injured and had little desire to play through his injuries. The two don't compare.

I doubt it....because even when Theo stands on his head for 10 games or a round in the play-offs it never lasts...............never.....he becomes very if not less then average every time after a short winning streak.

The problem with you is you expect him to play like an MVP for an entire season, which is ridiculous, especially with the team he has in front of him. Souray, Rivet, Brisebois have been inconsistent for years. Your expectations are delusional.

He was good enough for the All-star team just last season. So he has had at least 2 great seasons, while playing on a horrible team.

Edited by Ribeiro

Koivu was given a supporting cast this year. They brought in Kovy to finally give him a talented winger. Again, I am not saying he sucks, but I am disappointed in his overall play. A point a game is nothing to write home about for a top center in the league, one who is looking for a big contract.

I think what this team really needs is a true leader, one who is a little more outspoken, a little more emotional then Koivu. Perhaps you are right and Koivu needs a rest, someone to provide that leadership so he can just focus on playing.

I am not overly impressed with Kovy either... :(

I agree with you 100%..............Maby it's just too much for him at this point in his career.Our 1st line would and should be a dangerous 2nd line. We need to find a 1st line then.... to be a better team.......through youth? no-one has shown it yet. So we need to go outside via trade or wait till next year.......... So here we go again......Who will bring us a good return......................

Look, I've always defended Theo. But he only 'bailed out' the Habs consistently for one season in his career, the MVP year. This season, he's been a dog. You can see the whole team sag when their $5-million man lets in yet another key goal (whether soft, or an OK goal that a really sharp goalie would have stopped). Yes, Theo has a very high ceiling. But he has not put together two excellent NHL seasons in his career, and this year, he's compressed a lifetime's worth of inconsistency into one season.

Anyway, if he's so great, why CAN'T we ask him to 'bail us out' year after year? What, did he get tired all of a sudden? For pete's sake, CuJo made a 20-year career out of making cruddy defences look good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Theo's career arc is looking much closer to Felix Potvin's than Patrick Roy's at this point, that's for sure.

In any case, someone - whether Theo, or Koivu, or Souray, or Kovalev - has to grab this team by the throat and WILL it to win. I still think Koivu is playing hurt, but he might also (finally) be fed up of what appears to be a team of babies, psychological weaklings and headcases. Interesting times...alas.

Thank-you........my point exactly............I'm fried too.........all I want to do is drink beers and win...then bug my leaf fan friends........Theo doesn't make me want to do that........He did last year during the 1st round with the bruins..............i don't know who was in net after that. I think the same guy that was in net the 1 st period tonight.

He was good enough for the All-star team just last season. So he has had at least 2 great seasons, while playing on a horrible team.

Theo's previous NHL season was good, not great. For great, check out Kiprusoff.

Maybe it's more the Stephane Richer symptom - alternating good and bad years and then finally slackening off into an endless swamp of mediocrity, in which team after team keeps hoping he can rediscover his magic touch :D

Vince Carter didn't want to play for the Raptors, Jose Theodore wants to play for the Canadiens. Carter was purposely slacking, Theodore just seems tired after 3 seasons of carrying this team. Vince Carter was frequently injured and had little desire to play through his injuries. The two don't compare.

The problem with you is you expect him to play like an MVP for an entire season, which is ridiculous, especially with the team he has in front of him. Souray, Rivet, Brisebois have been inconsistent for years. Your expectations are delusional.

No ............that is not my problem.........I just want to feel like we might win sometimes..............He makes me feel like we'll probably lose...............delusional?.......watch most of the goals he let's in ....enough said...i can't believe you accept this. Talk about delusional!

Hear, hear.

I'm going to bed now and I just want to say - I AM UTTERLY BUMMED OUT. This sucks, they suck, everything sucks. Not even Bob Gainey will be able to work miracles with this sorry-arsed bunch. It's gonna be a loooOOOOOOOOOOnnnng road back to sustained excellence chez Montreal. Les canadiens ne sont pas la. I wanna puke.

'Night.

Koivu was supposed to have two great wingers beside him; Zednik and Kovalev. Unfortunately, neither show up to the same game, and that is compounded by the fact that Zednik might as well be playing with his hockey stick up his ass. Good lord! Last year he was bargain, now he's being overpayed.

Sundstrom. It's great that he can do all the little things the coaches love. Now I'd like him to do the big things that everyone else loves. An example of that would be....hmmm...I dunno... scoring? hitting? playing with balls?

Defense. I'm not sure what this is. I think other teams have it...

Theo...I'm speechless.

About Saku: I think injuries and bad health might have finally chipped away too much of his game. Anyone else remember the player he was when he got in the NHL? Daring, creative, shifty, intense... He could dictate the flow of the game sometimes. I think Koivu is starting to decline under #1 center level.

About Theodore: A poor defense with a mental breakdown will give such performances. uet's seems to be the more confident, comfortable and capable goaltender of the two. That should be a major scare for Theodore. He needs to wrap his head around the new NHL quick and its not happening. To his defense, he's the not the only goalie in such a situation this year: Lalime, Thibault, Khabibulin, Belfour... There's alot of goalies who are going through the same troubles as Theodore.

About Zednik: scratch him first, then if that doesnt get him going then trade his ass. I'll have to change nickname though.

This is for all the Theo bashers!

You guys are so quick to blame Theodore in this game, was it his fault the shots were 14-1 at one point? Jesus the only goal he really can be blamed for was the 3rd other than that where was his defence. You know what, you guys who bash him are going to get him run out of town. And then where will we be? We will be like Columbus or St Louis or another crappy team with no goaltender. I know you cant honestly think that we would be any further up in the standings with Huet in goal, or danis for that matter. I'll tell you what we need. Its a power forward and a shut down D man. But you gotta remember We also need a goalie. And while im at it. I don't see most of your guys savior ROBERTO LUONGO stealing many games for the Panthers either. Theo will rebound and you all will be eating crow.

You know, I don't blame the guy for being flat..................He has been the captain for probably the worst decade of teams montreal has put together in history. He has been the back-bone the whole time, even through cancer. He has to be thinking what the ######? Give that man a supporting cast and he will show you what it'a all about again and again and again.....he is just out of gas right now.

I think Gainey really truly believes in this team and every player..........he picked them and now he's in charge behind the bench...............They will stand up and suprise us all.....it's coming.

I just don't think Theo will be around for it......God love him but he just ..........................really sucks.....

I don't mean that in an ass way.....I've been a Theo fan for a long time.Tonight I realized he is just really bad most of the time.

You were right on about the Koivu comments but couldnt be more far off about Theo

Just watch him go to another team and Fu**in rock. Why should Theo have to play at the top of his game? when the other lame assed bunch of babies can't string together 2 good shifts

Edited by brboo

Guest Biff Malibu
This is for all the Theo bashers!

You guys are so quick to blame Theodore in this game, was it his fault the shots were 14-1 at one point? Jesus the only goal he really can be blamed for was the 3rd other than that where was his defence. You know what, you guys who bash him are going to get him run out of town. And then where will we be? We will be like Columbus or St Louis or another crappy team with no goaltender. I know you cant honestly think that we would be any further up in the standings with Huet in goal, or danis for that matter. I'll tell you what we need. Its a power forward and a shut down D man. But you gotta remember We also need a goalie. And while im at it. I don't see most of your guys savior ROBERTO LUONGO stealing many games for the Panthers either. Theo will rebound and you all will be eating crow.

You were right on about the Koivu comments but couldnt be more far off about Theo

Just watch him go to another team and Fu**in rock. Why should Theo have to play at the top of his game? when the other lame assed bunch of babies can't string together 2 good shifts

I second that. I would much rather have Theodore in net then Conklin, Aebischer, Lalime, Cloutier, and the list goes on. Teams with good #1 goalies aren't going to give them up.

Because he's a goalie being paid 5Million dollars a year.

HOw bout all those other teams with no supposed superstar goalie who are tearing it up; aka: Vancouver, Edmonton, Colorado, shall i go on.

I do think Theo will do well on another team, but we can still get something good in return and address serious areas of concern. As for all the other goalies who have struggled they have all shown signs of improvement while Theo has not... I'll support him while he's here, but won't be sad at all to see him go

Quick, panic, point fingers.

Win as a team, lose as a team.

I won't even attack Theo tonight. 5 goals on 5 shots and while he might have had one or two, he was left out to dry on all five.

Perhaps the experiment of putting the jerseys on appreciative fans to play the game should now come to a close and the real team should take the ice.

Red Light Theodore is a brutal goalie. The Habs are going nowhere fast with this so called tender. Gainey got rid of the wrong guy. At the end of the year, when Gainey's record is worse than julien's...will everbody see the light or should I say the red light. You know what looks promising...Carbo is the worse coach of them all. Gainey...if you want you and your stooges to be around long...get rid of red Light Theodore. Danis and Huet are both better than that statue.

Ya, whatever, guys. Good night for the Habs. We won the last two periods. Do you know how hard that is to do with heavy-hearts, once you know you've already lost, while you're being embarassed and once the other team has already showed that you're superior to you? It's gotta show atleast a little character that they didn't give up the game once it was 6-0. Not that I like losing 6-2 but it's nice to see that the guys atleast try. You can't completely blame Theodore but he's getting paid so much so that he can make those stops that no one else can do.

Kostitsyn is amazing.

You guys looking for Theodore nicknames? Colin invented Theopendoor but it kind of sucks. How about:

THEONLYFRIKKINGOALIEINTHELEAGUEWHOLETSINTHEFIRSTSHOTOFEVERYGAME-DORE!?

Win as a team, lose as a team. That it is the mantra of every good team in all sports. PERIOD. :angry:

The fact that BG should have kept Garon instead of Theodore is laughable in that no GM in is right mind would have traded a MVP and Veniza winner for just Huet and Bonk :huh: even if that mighty crystal ball would tell you otherwise in the world of 20/20.

Now I have nothing against Garon (I really liked the way he played) but would you feel the same way if it was Garon getting burnt against Vancouver as Theodore was playing a stronger game for LA. :blink: No? Me either.

The players in front have alot to say to any outcome no matter what you tend to believe any good goaltender will tell you. You'd hope that as a goal or two would go by that the team would push the attack to the opposite end of the ice, but when you are outscored 15-8 and really outclassed, well the result is obvious.

Lets not get started how much this road trip is going to be a killer to the teams morale!

Here is hoping that the team can bounce back soon!

:king: Go Habs Go :hlogo:

bulis

jmmr

kozed?????????

You pussies in bed?

Ya I watched the game from my bed around there. I fell asleep late in the second period. I guess I didn't miss much though.

As I sat and watched what transpired during the 1st period last night I thought should I go on HW tomorrow or avoid it because I basically know what is going to be said. Well to satisfy my curiosity I'm here and I was right, the Theo bashers are out in full force. Anyone who can blame him for what happened last night has absolutely no idea what they are talking about, that was the worst display of defensive hockey I've ever seen, when you give NHL calibre players time and space as the Canucks were given last night then bad things are going to happen to you. There could have been 2 goalies in there last night and the result would have been the same. If he had managed to somehow stop a couple of those we still lose, it wasn't his fault. For those of you who have said we should have kept Garon, he has allowed 24 goals in his last 4 games.

Edited by olematelot

On the bright side, the Sens whooped the laffs again last night even worse than us. They've now been outscored 26-2 in the last three games...

23-2:

8-2

8-0

7-0

The problem last night was that we were completely helpless against Vancouver's forecheck. They quickly pressed our defence on shoot-ins as soon as we got the puck and our players responded by rushing "passes" to their partner. These passes were never on the ice and led to the 2nd defenceman struggling to corral the puck with another Canuck forechecker to deal with. If we didn't lose the puck then we repeated the problem by flinging the puck to the winger on the boards who couldn't handle it.

The inevitable turnover led to confusion in our zone and players standing around. Nobody seemed to be able to decide who they should cover and Vancouver forwards were often completely open and able to skate freely.

Having Markov would have helped a lot but our defencemen need to handle the forecheck better. The forwards need to help the defence more. Early in the year we were getting the puck out quickly and punishing forechecking teams with a quick and deadly counter attack.

Edited by Peter Puck

The problem last night was that we were completely helpless against Vancouver's forecheck. They quickly pressed our defence on shoot-ins as soon as we got the puck and our players responded by rushing "passes" to their partner. These passes were never on the ice and led to the 2nd defenceman struggling to corral the puck with another Canuck forechecker to deal with. If we didn't lose the puck then we repeated the problem by flinging the puck to the winger on the boards who couldn't handle it.

The inevitable turnover led to confusion in our zone and players standing around. Nobody seemed to be able to decide who they should cover and Vancouver forwards were often completely open and able to skate freely.

Having Markov would have helped a lot but our defencemen need to handle the forecheck better. The forwards need to help the defence more. Early in the year we were getting the puck out quickly and punishing forechecking teams with a quick and deadly counter attack.

Completely agreed.

Our defense is an incredible mess. There's no team cohesion at all, every player is on his own and it leaves us incredibly exposed. That is probably CJ's worse failure. Now BG is on the hot seat, because he has to come up with either a new system or find a way to get the players to make the current one work.

Its a big challenge, especially without a defense coach. Gainey, Jarvis and Carbo were all defensive forwards. We can already see that Jarvis did good work with the kids (Higgins, Pleks, etc) because they're all responsible defensively, but they'll have to find a way to get it through the head of veterans now. Its not normal that your #1 line spends more time in the defensive zone waiting for the D to get them the puck. Its also not normal that 2/3 of your supposed defensive line dont want to pay the price in its own zone.

If BG wants this team to take advantage of its speed, they'll have to start getting the puck first, and start skating all the time. They're not doing that right now and it hurts them at both ends.

I am so pissed off at the Habs I dont want to write about them for another week! I honestly thought last night that I should have left the building at the 5th minute of the game and gone to scalp the two pair of tickets!

in essence No Defence NONE all throughout the game... The Knuckle heads could easily entered our zone While we couldnt the Habs looked like a CHL team or worse No good passes No timing on shots nothing! example passes on the skates etc... Even My girlrfriend who knows nothing of Hockey and roots for the Canucks after goal three was feeling bad about me and asked me if the habs had ever played toghether before!

I truely believe the Canucks shut the machine down after the first period they werent even hiting that much they felt sorry for us... WHILE THE FLAMES WOULD HAVE STARTED KICKING ASS as would they have PUCKS IN GOALS lol had to let that one in!

Im so heart broken!

Cant do this no more!!!

Im taking a gun....