New Heavyweight?

HABBER-oooooKNOWS

Habs picked up Aaron Downey of waivers from the blues.

Anybody know anything about him. Seems like a goon.....no stats

He's an ex-Stars, so BG and GC know him well I assume. He's on the small side for a goon (6-1, 216) but he's another Begin/Murray type of player. He'll probably take Ferland's place on the 4th liner and give us a little more bite.

Interesting interview/article on him on hockey fights.com

http://www.hockeyfights.com/articles/151. Sounds like a goon who might score a little

Wonder who's going to go to give him a roster spot?

Edited by PMAC

Read that he likes to have long dramatic fights. Big long square-offs with the dramatic glove throws.....tells refs to not come in and stop the fight when they are about to, likes to fight Peter Worrel a lot.......don't think it sounds like Begin or Murray....but does sound like he'll be fun to watch.......

Good news...I think we need a guy like this.......

Hockey fights .com says he got smoked by Eric Cairns......when do we play Pittsburg again?

Anyone has an update on Murrays' status? He looked in pain at the end of saturdays game. His shoulder?

Downey's a Canadian Greco-Roman wrestling champion.

He's an ex-Stars, so BG and GC know him well I assume. He's on the small side for a goon (6-1, 216) but he's another Begin/Murray type of player. He'll probably take Ferland's place on the 4th liner and give us a little more bite.

It would be nice if he made us a little more unpleasant to play against

looks like bob figured out having souray and rivet fighting the battles was not the way. I think this is a good move. We don't have any forwards who can fight.

Edited by habs rule

Yes no kidding, a little passion and fiestyness will be nice to see. Right now it looks like the ice capades, alot of skating around with not much really going on. A 4th line of Downy begin and Murray when he comes back sounds good. I see Ferland more of a third line checker. Was that his role in Hamilton? I only get relevant information on the habs here since i live in colrado.

450k is exactly right. http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=6680

All player salaries can be found on that site...

I don't like this move, why another pretend fighter? Downey has gotten killed on all 3 of his fights this year. I mean the cap money we save on Dagenais will go to Downey, about 200K for the rest of the year, but couldn't have Bob got a heavyweight? Sign Worrel... Do something.

Gainey Blows...

I don't like this move, why another pretend fighter? Downey has gotten killed on all 3 of his fights this year. I mean the cap money we save on Dagenais will go to Downey, about 200K for the rest of the year, but couldn't have Bob got a heavyweight? Sign Worrel... Do something.

Gainey Blows...

Great idea. Why not sign an aging goon struggling with alcohol issues? Just what the rookies in the dressing room need: NOT!

The last line of your post doesn't deserve comment... I'm going to try to forget you said it.

Great idea. Why not sign an aging goon struggling with alcohol issues? Just what the rookies in the dressing room need: NOT!

The last line of your post doesn't deserve comment... I'm going to try to forget you said it.

Don't forget I said it, because I did.

Bob hasn't done anything right since picking up Kovalev in March 04, thats two years ago. Not doing anything postive in two years will lead to hard times, which we're seeing right now. I can go on and on... Garon for Bonk, signing Dandenualt, giving Theodore 16 million over 3 years. Our defense hasn't been changed in forever. The last Dman we got via trade was Souray, about half a decade ago.

Worrel is a total monster, if you're going to get a goon, get someone serious, not a make believe goon that Tie Domi will handle.

Also, watch your sarcastic tone there buddy.

Edited by Habby1197

Excellent! I love Aaron Downey. Cheap, about $450,000. And a solid hard nose player. Similar to Chris Neil in Ottawa.

Probably not scary enough then. With the right toughness our real talent might light up again. If this player is another Murray or Ferland, or worse Vandermeer and Gordie Dwyer, why do we need him? The only thing worse than not participating in the rough stuff is getting your ass kicked when you do. There's no place for second rate goons in this league. Its killers or nothing.

A 6-1" goon even at 220lbs(212 by the Habs website) doesn't sound like a guy we can put against Belak(6-5 221), Godard(6-4 227), Cairns (6-6 241), or Andrew Peters 6-4 247lbs let alone McGratton. He won't have the reach and in many cases the weight. I know these stats don't prove anything but he looks on paper like a Vandermeer and we all saw what happened to him when he went up against Tampa's tough guy. Hope he proves my doubts unfounded.

Bob hasn't done anything right since picking up Kovalev in March 04, thats two years ago. Not doing anything postive in two years will lead to hard times, which we're seeing right now. I can go on and on... Garon for Bonk, signing Dandenualt, giving Theodore 16 million over 3 years. Our defense hasn't been changed in forever. The last Dman we got via trade was Souray, about half a decade ago.

Worrel is a total monster, if you're going to get a goon, get someone serious, not a make believe goon that Tie Domi will handle.

I agree with everything said here. I don't know if Bob hasn't done anything good since Kovalev's signing, but that is certainly a list of the major things he has done wrong. This Downy probably couldn't have intimidated our wimpy Habs as it is. Just like Vandermeer, 6-1 is penuts, if anything its encouraging a fight rather than making the other team think twice. An what happens after he proves not tough enough, we send him down to the Bulldogs to be linesmates with Vandermeer and Ivanans. Talk about a Hanson brother's line and a waste of resources. The irony is that if he doesn't work out we'll still be in need of a real enforcer.

Edited by Lister110

Not such a confusing move. Souray wants to continue fighting and now he doesn't have to. We don't want to have what happened to Souray ever happen again. I think maybe he should have tried out Ivanans first though.

Anyone remember a couple of years back, he had a one punch knockout, it was pretty awesome, i don't remember against who, but he knocked the guys lights out.....He is a fighter and will bring much needed toughness to this squad

Was it this fight?

http://thatvideosite.com/view/557.html

Not such a confusing move. Souray wants to continue fighting and now he doesn't have to. We don't want to have what happened to Souray ever happen again. I think maybe he should have tried out Ivanans first though.

Its true that we can't have Souray fighting, but this doesn't look like the answer to me. If all we want is a punching bag we could have called Vandermeer back up. I'll guarantee there is no risk that another team would take him (who'd want him) and we would have saved $440 000 while using something we are still paying for on top of Downy.

Gainey must really believe this guy is tough enough to do the job. He was right about Langdon but sure was wrong about Vandermeer.

Dandenault wasnt a mistake. Theo commanded that salary because of the awards he won. Bob made some mistakes but to say he blows is a litttle too disrespectful for my taste. I didn't say you dont have a right to your opinion, just that IMHO your opinion is wrong. Odd for someone who uses such a disrespectful tone towards one of the most respected men in hockey to be warning me about my tone :P

BTW: dont you think its a little unfair to be counting the lock-out year against Bob when there was a roster freeze?

Edited by PMAC

I don't know, still not sold. Boulerice has lost a few fights this year already. He's not the biggest goon and from the look of that fight he way overcommited allowing for a knock out punch. He must have underestimated Downy, but even Neil would have probably knocked him out with that kind of wild swing.

I guess we might see that rematch again as Boulerice should be dressed for the game. Will Downey be there?

Edited by Lister110

Dandenault wasnt a mistake. Theo commanded that salary because of the awards he won. Bob made some mistakes but to say he blows is a litttle too disrespectful for my taste. I didn't say you dont have a right to your opinion, just that IMHO your opinion is wrong. Odd for someone who uses such a disrespectful tone towards one of the most respected men in hockey to be warning me about my tone :P

BTW: dont you think its a little unfair to be counting the lock-out year against Bob when there was a roster freeze?

Dandenualt wasn't a mistake? Are you kidding me? I've been to almost every Habs home game this year, and a few in Ottawa and trust me, he's been a huge mistake. He wasn't worth the 1.7 million dollar salary he's getting, and what's worse is, we've got hom for another 3 years. I actually think he's been our worst Dman this year. Souray, Markov, and Boullion are fine on the left side... While Rivet and Komisarek are alright on the right side. If we would have landed a righthanded Dman stud to replace Brisebois instead of Dandy we'd be way better off.

Most respected men in hockey? Have you heard the phrase "What have you done for me lately?" The answer is not much. Just like Sather in NY, prior to this year he was living off of what he did as an Oiler. I'm not saying Gainey isn't the right man, I believe he is... However, he hasn't warrented any accolades yet. If he does do something right, trust me, I'll be the first to praise him... But right now, I'm not impressed.