Theo-roy: Separated At Birth?

While I've never seen any goalie meltdown as spectacularly (and gruesomely) as José Theodore has this season, I am reminded of certain parallels.

Does anybody recall the way Patrick Roy played in...I think it was the 1992 playoffs? He looked exactly like Theodore does now - dazed and confused, horrifyingly unsure of himself, out of position, letting in beachballs. I remember one goal where a Bruin just lobbed the puck from the corner and Roy practically steered it in his own net. (The team in front of him also resembled our present team, in that the players seemed completely out of synch, with no heart, no determination, just lacklustre and baffled. They squeaked past a dismal Hartford team only to be swept by the Prunes).

Our current debacle looks very much like that, only with a weaker overall roster.

This is NOT to say that Theodore is about to bounce back and win us the Conn Smythe like Roy did in '93. It's just an interesting parallel, and a reminder, maybe, not to define a player by his all-time worst slump.

For the record, Savard cleaned house after the season, dealing Courtnall, Richer and Corson and getting back Bellows, Muller and Damphousse - the nucleus that won us the Cup, and one of the finest feats of GMing in Habs' recent memory.

Exactly...Theo is not the only problem on this team. and whoever thinks that simply shipping him out of town and getting luongo or whoever in return will make us cup contenders are sorely mistaken

Maybe not cup contenders but certainly a much much better team.

And when Theodore does get shipped out due to fan pressure and the defence is Still Bad and we are still one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and getting outshot every game then who will you place the blame on?

And when Theodore does get shipped out due to fan pressure and the defence is Still Bad and we are still one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and getting outshot every game then who will you place the blame on?

I'll find someone else...but if you watch the games this year which I have (only missed one), then you will realize that yes the D isn't the strongest but the root of much of the problem stems from Theo, the team has no confidence in him, he has no confidence in himself. I'm not saying there is no possibility that he fixes this, but at this rate I am not prepared to have that much money committed to him over the next few years and I think it's in the teams best interest.

We're not a cup contender with him and we won't be without him. Really he has shown almost no signs over 45 games, I would dump his salary while we still can. This isn't the old NHL if he continues on his path to Jim CarreyVille then our team is screwed with his salary.

Look, Theo isn't doing the job he is getting apid to do. WHat I mean by that is he isn't making spectacular saves all the time. But lets face it, the team in front of him sucks period. Gainey needs to improve the core, and Theo needs to improve his play. Besides his trade value is nothing, what else can Gainey do other than be patient and fix the most obvious probelms like everything else!!?

I'll find someone else...but if you watch the games this year which I have (only missed one), then you will realize that yes the D isn't the strongest but the root of much of the problem stems from Theo, the team has no confidence in him, he has no confidence in himself. I'm not saying there is no possibility that he fixes this, but at this rate I am not prepared to have that much money committed to him over the next few years and I think it's in the teams best interest.

We're not a cup contender with him and we won't be without him. Really he has shown almost no signs over 45 games, I would dump his salary while we still can. This isn't the old NHL if he continues on his path to Jim CarreyVille then our team is screwed with his salary.

I don't think its that easy to dump a struggling goalie who is making 4.5 million this year.

When there are alot of other teams looking to trade a goalie who doesnt make as much and is playing well.

ie Buffalo and Minnesota

I don't think its that easy to dump a struggling goalie who is making 4.5 million this year.

When there are alot of other teams looking to trade a goalie who doesnt make as much and is playing well.

ie Buffalo and Minnesota

That we can agree on

I do think it's possible, but the return will not be as high as many of use hope.

Theopendoor is not the only problem this team has, but he is it's highest paid player and star. the absolute best a goalie can ever do is get you a 0-0 tie. if he was playing good we would still be losing some games because we cant score. He is an expensive problem but not the only problem. If we are going to get this level of goaltending we do not need to pay 4.5 million for it. If we get rid of his salary maybe we can fix the scoring problem. huet /danis can get us through till price is ready.

Edited by habs rule

Theopendoor is not the only problem this team has, but he is it's highest paid player and star. the absolute best a goalie can ever do is get you a 0-0 tie. if he was playing good we would still be losing some games because we cant score. He is an expensive problem but not the only problem. If we are going to get this level of goaltending we do not need to pay 4.5 million for it. If we get rid of his salary maybe we can fix the scoring problem. huet /danis can get us through till price is ready.

Glad I finished reading all the posts before replying because you said it all right there. I don't expect Huet to fair better with this current roster playing as they have. But with 4.5m in cap space we could get a d-man or 2 that would help. Also maybe pick up a 1st line forward for a pair of 2nd string d-men.

They would be excess with our 2 new ones.

As for Theo, go for a 1st round pick and a 3rd line foward.

Drop Bonk, 2m more.

Take Bonk's 2 and 3 we have left, hire a real scorer at trade deadline, dropping Zed

Maybe then....

edit post script

I would like to see Aucoin and Gauthier as the d-men additions

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

The best a goalie (Theo) can do is make it a 0-0 tie? I seem to remember an Islanders game a few years back... :D

Roy had a few bad playoff series. A bad year he never had. Didnt the habs make the playoffs every year Roy played for them. Theo isnt having a bad 7 game stretch. He is having a bad 40 game stretch. Which reminds me I think we have the only team that will trade with us for Theo- Lalime for Theo I think we win out lalime is paid a little less.

Roy had a few bad playoff series. A bad year he never had. Didnt the habs make the playoffs every year Roy played for them. Theo isnt having a bad 7 game stretch. He is having a bad 40 game stretch. Which reminds me I think we have the only team that will trade with us for Theo- Lalime for Theo I think we win out lalime is paid a little less.

Habs missed the playoffs 2 seasons while Roy was a habs 94-95 and also 95-96 the season he was eventually traded.

Also Roy won a cup in his first true year with the Habs.

Than again in his 8th year. I do not have faith for Theo to win a cup here or anywhere. I still believe he can play well but without a serious confidence boost his ability may be shattered forever. My final wish of this Post would be for Theo have a drastic turn around and bring Lord Stanley home this year shutting the mouth of his critics and making Bob Gainey look good rather then letting him down night after night.

Habs missed the playoffs 2 seasons while Roy was a habs 94-95 and also 95-96 the season he was eventually traded.

Also Roy won a cup in his first true year with the Habs.

Than again in his 8th year. I do not have faith for Theo to win a cup here or anywhere. I still believe he can play well but without a serious confidence boost his ability may be shattered forever. My final wish of this Post would be for Theo have a drastic turn around and bring Lord Stanley home this year shutting the mouth of his critics and making Bob Gainey look good rather then letting him down night after night.

The 94-95 season was the short year when the players were locked out. That shouldnt be counted. The following year Roy only played 22 games before he was traded so you cant blame him for that year. In the shortened year the habs didnt make it Roy had a 2.97 GAA and a .906 save percentage. If that's a bad year then what is Theo having?

Edited by Strummerman

The 94-95 season was the short year when the players were locked out. That shouldnt be counted. The following year Roy only played 22 games before he was traded so you cant blame him for that year. In the shortened year the habs didnt make it Roy had a 2.97 GAA and a .906 save percentage. If that's a bad year then what is Theo having?

That shouldnt be counted?...well take away the devils cup!!! LOL

Each team still had the same shot

with that kind of thinking, we shouldnt count this year cause of all the rule changes and new gear they gotta wear.

That shouldnt be counted?...well take away the devils cup!!! LOL

Each team still had the same shot

with that kind of thinking, we shouldnt count this year cause of all the rule changes and new gear they gotta wear.

Well when you play 48 games instead of 80 it was quite a difference. Your ignoring the reality of the situation and yes the devils cup was tainted somewhat and jagr's scoring championship was tainted etc etc.

What is obvious when Roy was the habs goalie for a full schedule the habs made the playoffs. This is a full schedule. Maybe Theo cant play under the new rules. So what does this mean? Should we wait till the NHL brings in the old rules before we play Theo again??? :?-