Is Bob Gainey Safe?

things are not looking good for gainey, he continue to make bad moves, like bonk, garon,perreault,brisebois, and firing a good coach. its time to make a good move if we are going to make the playoffs, the time is now...not next season..the ottawa game is time i well never get back.

You are not seriously suggesting that you think Bob Should have kept Brisebois?

Brisebois was just as happy to get out of montreal as most fans were to get rid of him.

You can only be the whipping boy of a franchise for so long before you finally just snap.

And perreault was as good as done in MTL. He wasnt producing and julien had cut his icetime drastically

As far as Bonk the guy had 4 20+ goal seasons nobody can say they knew he was going to preform this badly.

Yep, . . . Another great idea would be to leave the ceremonial rugs out on the ice during the game. We could even rip down the Bell centre and play in the street.

hmmm -- a New New NHL, would be fun to watch stoned, tickets prices would be cheaper.

"Car!!"

I'm getting fed up with the hysteria on this forum. Trade Koivu, trade Theodore, trade Komisarek, trade the Bell Centre, trade Sherbrooke Street...

Now it's 'is Bob Gainey safe??'

Folks...the ONLY WAY the Montreal Canadiens will ever return to the upper echelons of the NHL is by creating a STABLE ORGANIZATION at the level of ownership and management, filled with people with established track records of excellence. We have these people with André Savard and Gainey. Presumably they've hired good people around them. And Gillett seems to be a serious owner.

It doesn't take one or two years to raise the Titanic, which is what the Habs became under Houle and the erratic Molson's ownership. Nor does a rotating door of captains and coaches help, although sure, you do sometimes have to remove someone to make room for someone better (e.g., Savard for Gainey, Julien for Carbo).

'GETTING RID' of players, coaches, managers, and owners is not the answer. The answer is to patiently build and improve on what we have. This will take years.

Stop, stop, stop looking for the 'magic bullet,' the quick fix. That way lies another decade of mediocrity.

Hey Cucumber. I'll agree that there is no magic bullet and a stable, sane organization is the only one that will produce a competitive team. I have no knowledge of what type of owner Gillett is, we don't hear much about him other than the occasional PR outings. As to the hysteria you spoke of, well it is all too common in these types of forums and that will never change. Part of the hysteria you could put down to the years of mediocrity and poor management we have been witness to in Montreal. But I refuse to blindly accept that because you once were a star who played for the Habs you automatically qualify to lead le bleu,blanc,rouge. Houle and Tremblay were a sad testiment to that. Gainey has had success as a coach and GM...he also had bags of money in Dallas to build a team. Carbo has limited experience as a coach and thats what makes me cautious in his case, I don't see him as an upgrade over Julien but I do see him as a friend of Gainey's. Montreal does not just want competitive teams, they had competitive defensive teams before. There was some promise that we would try to field a firey attacking team, we had the feeling at the beginning of the year that this was what we would see. In the first few games against Ottawa this year that we lost we were competitive as hell. We challenged, we broke out of our zone with speed, chances were created, defences had to be careful with our speed. Where did that team disappear, in the last month we have created little, nobody is concerned with our speed, our creativity. What we seem to be now is a safe, conservative bunch, lets limit the mistakes...sounds like Gainey & Carbo from the old days. It bores me personally and it doesn't raise bums out of seats in the Bell Centre.

Well, that's an interesting perspective. The Gainey-Carbo-Jarvis tandem may indeed lead us down the poisoned chalice of defensive hockey, and that's a legitimate reason for concern about these guys. However, I have immense confidence in the long-term judgement of both Gainey and Carbonneau, not simply because of their track record at the management level but because they have been universally known as two of the smartest guys in hockey, for years and years. This hopefully means that they will implement whatever system is necessary for these players to win (and remember, Gainey himself has said he hasn't changed Julien's system as a coach).

Indeed, I found Julien too conservative in the way he always dressed veterans over rookies, even if the former were playing like dogs. That showed an aversion to risk, too.

But as for me what I ultimately want to see is a winning team. If it takes defensive hockey to do it, that's OK by me. :king: But I respect people who want to see the firewagon of old :hlogo:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Well, that's an interesting perspective. The Gainey-Carbo-Jarvis tandem may indeed lead us down the poisoned chalice of defensive hockey, and that's a legitimate reason for concern about these guys. However, I have immense confidence in the long-term judgement of both Gainey and Carbonneau, not simply because of their track record at the management level but because they have been universally known as two of the smartest guys in hockey, for years and years. This hopefully means that they will implement whatever system is necessary for these players to win (and remember, Gainey himself has said he hasn't changed Julien's system as a coach).

Indeed, I found Julien too conservative in the way he always dressed veterans over rookies, even if the former were playing like dogs. That showed an aversion to risk, too.

But as for me what I ultimately want to see is a winning team. If it takes defensive hockey to do it, that's OK by me. :king: But I respect people who want to see the firewagon of old :hlogo:

I admire your faith in G-C-J. I, as is pretty obvious, am sitting on the fence in their case. The new collective bargaining agreement makes every roster decision a crucial one I suppose. I think that Gainey is looking up at Ottawa, Carolina, Buffalo, Tampa, Atlanta and figures he can't outgun these teams so he has to play better defensively.(Theo's dilemma is certainly a factor) And Kostitsyn moving back down is a sign of this defensive mentality. I respect your philosophy but I would rather see a team go down fighting than blocking.

I've seen enough defensive philosophy from this organization to my taste.

You are not seriously suggesting that you think Bob Should have kept Brisebois?

Brisebois was just as happy to get out of montreal as most fans were to get rid of him.

You can only be the whipping boy of a franchise for so long before you finally just snap.

And perreault was as good as done in MTL. He wasnt producing and julien had cut his icetime drastically

As far as Bonk the guy had 4 20+ goal seasons nobody can say they knew he was going to preform this badly.

I NOT Suggesting that we kept brisebois, but we could of got someone to replace him and quintal, and for perreault he was great with montreal and he having a good year this year and we didnt get anyone to replace him. bonk i dont think was a bad fit for the third line but the money he got was a little much and if you thought he was brough in to score 20 goals for this team your kidding your self.. the 20 goal seasons came with ottawa and we not there yet..

I NOT Suggesting that we kept brisebois, but we could of got someone to replace him and quintal, and for perreault he was great with montreal and he having a good year this year and we didnt get anyone to replace him. bonk i dont think was a bad fit for the third line but the money he got was a little much and if you thought he was brough in to score 20 goals for this team your kidding your self.. the 20 goal seasons came with ottawa and we not there yet..

I remember last season everyone on here crying to dump Breeze-by and Poor-0 and bring the kids up because they couldn't do worse. Well, it happened and the team is faster than before, but still no goal scorers. Been a problem for years it seems, and now they won't shoot! Afraid to miss the net? You want to talk under achievers? Here's a team full! I thought it was a coaching issue, but I think it is attitude and we need a shake up. Keep the kids, dump the dead weight.

We did get someone to replace Brisebois. Dandenault is doing a pretty good Breezer impersonation. Quintal retired so that is hardly BG fault.

Bonk is turning it around lately

And i admit he does have a high salary.

as far as bringing someone in to replace perreault

we have higgins, Plekanec. Kostitsyn, perezhogin all getting ice time this year

you cant have it both ways if you keep bringing in vets to replace the vets you let go,

your younger guys never get a chance to develop.

its also alot diferrent now with the Cap cause your younger guys are going to make alot less then what its gonna cost to sign veterans.

And if the young guys arent ready you can always send them down without the fear of loosing them

think about it - really now..... this isn't even an issue

The Habs are in a long term plan that Gainey outlined early in his tenure. He isn't going to suddenly snap and change it because things aren't going right in the blahs of a dreadful January run. He was hired to build a contender and it's heading in that direction. Why would management blow that plan up because they aren't winning a cup earlier than they expected to, or because fans are so bloody impatient. That knee jerk reaction to fan and media pressure prior to Gainey is exactly why the Habs are at this point/dilemma.

The new salary cap has altered the landscape - trading is not a viable solution like it was prior to this. Salary and contract structure now dictate what can be done. Few teams are in a position to take on the contracts of what you might like to dump? The only alternative is to build from scratch, or with what you already have in your system(if your lucky to have that.) And with that reality in front of all NHL teams, who really is there out there that is even equal to or any better than than Bob Gainey.

No, this isn't even a consideration worth discussing!!!!!

Changing horses in midstream would be even more disastrous than some seem to currently think it may be.

The grass is always greenest after the storm has passed.....

Bob will build it..... and they will come

Should make a movie about that. Some guy called Bob builds a rink in downtown Montreal and the ghosts come and play everyday. We'll go even farther... these ghosts inspire some eager & hungry guys to get together and play a winning game. What a movie that would make! :)

Gainey is a fantastic hockey mind. He has experience in the Montreal market and media to know how to handle things.

This is the "New NHL". Nobody knew exactly what to expect but Gainey had a plan, a plan based on what he "thought" would work. Yes, things haven't worked out but all he could do, just as most GMs had to do, was take a good guess. Just because they haven't worked out doesn't mean you get rid of the main guy.

He will adjust again. He will get the team competing again.

He hasn't been here long enough as GM, or with the new NHL to say he doesn't know what he's doing.

Get rid of Gainey and you have a team that will be in turmoil for years...

Keep him and you'll see, we'll be on the right track.

Gainey's one of the most well respected men in hockey, a great GM, and has coaching experience. He has played SEVEN GAMES and has a decent record of 3-4. Why ask?

"Should make a movie about that...." (shortcat1)

Great idea.....

I can see it now - Joliat, Morenz, Vezina, Plante, the Rocket, and a host of other legends appearing in the mist...... and every opponent would be messing their shorts! Yes, 5 more in a row would be the norm - awwww damn it, it's time to wake up and see what's really happening in habs-land!

It's not Gainey's fault that Theo has sucked this year. Anybody who even suggests that Bob should or could go is completely off thier rocker!!!. This topic is not even worth discussing, quite frankly. Absolutely ridiculous!!!. Gainey coming home is the best thing to happen to this franchise since we drafted #33. :hlogo: