Game Thread | Montreal Vs. Maple Leafs | 01/28/06

Spider-Man NL

canadiens_logo.jpgvssmall2.gifmapleleafs_logo.jpg

montreal50.gif22-20-6 : 50 Points (10th in the Eastern Conference)

toronto50.gif24-22-3 : 51 Points (9th in the Eastern Conference)

Projected goalies for this game are:

0198.gif# 60 Jose Theodore (16-14-5), 3.37 GAA montreal50.gif

toronto50.gif# 20 Ed Belfour (18-17-2), 3.45 GAA0628.gif

Canadiens Roster

Link

Maple Leafs Roster

Link

LW.jpghabs-w.gifrw.jpg

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

Begin - Ribeiro - Downey

d.jpg

Souray - Komisarek

Streit - Rivet

Bouillon - Dandenault

G.jpg

Jose Theodore

Meetings This Year:

Oct. 8th, 2005:montreal50.gif5 toronto50.gif4

Oct. 15th, 2005:toronto50.gif3 montreal50.gif2

Nov. 12th, 2005:toronto50.gif5 montreal50.gif4 OT

Nov. 26th, 2005:montreal50.gif3 toronto50.gif4 OT

DONEcondemmed.jpg

oly_full.53440821jm027_flyers_habs.jpg

This game can be seen 7:00pm eastern on logo_RDS.gif & CBC.jpg

cjad_logo_large.gif

Listen to the game live on CJAD 800 AM

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

should be a fun game.always has been.

one thing we know for sure: kostitsyn won't be playing...he's gone down.

Theo vs Belfore?

11-10 Habs in a shootout?

LOL yeah... and that shootout sessions will go on until one of the teams players gets bored of scoring on every penalty shot and decides not to shot.

Ooops... forgot... the habs wont get more than about 10-15 shots so lets hope Theo outplays Belfour.

Belfour: 13shots 10 goals allowed

Theodore: 24 shots 10 goals allowed

Edited by Dalhabs

I don't like making predictions. I am always scared to say the habs will win and feel better if I think they won't. That way I am pleasently surprised. But my BAD predictions of the habs losing usually are right. Here's hoping for a solid team effort from the net out!!

Go Habs Go!!!

Absolutely pivotal game. Biggest rivalry in hockey and even more tommorow night.

A loss for either team is going equal changes. The brass don't like any losses plain and simple, but especially in Toronto, the heat will be on after a loss on national television to the Canadiens..or vice versa.

Don't forget that Pat Quinn was not hired by the current GM, as we saw with Gainey, not too much loyalty is going to be shown to a coach the manager didn't hire.

I smell Komisarek scoring his first NHL-goal, but it's freezing over here, I have a cold, so not smelling..

The good ol' 3-2 Habs win.

Go Habs go!

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

The big difference between a suckass Leafs team with no goaltending and a suckass Habs team with no goaltending (unless Gainey comes to his senses and dressed Huet) is that the Leafs, unfortunately, have character and grit. And they're just as desperate as we are (or ought to be).

Therefore they will destroy us.

6-3 Toronto. :puke:

Theodore in goal? We just gave the Leafs the win IF HE HAS another terrible game.

Please Theodore!

We just gave the leafs the win if the team plays like they have been playing for the past little while also. theodore or not.

The big difference between a suckass Leafs team with no goaltending and a suckass Habs team with no goaltending (unless Gainey comes to his senses and dressed Huet) is that the Leafs, unfortunately, have character and grit. And they're just as desperate as we are (or ought to be).

Therefore they will destroy us.

6-3 Toronto. :puke:

I wish I could disagree with anything you said, but I can't. Hopefully the Habs show some pride and character... but if we haven't seen it by now.. :(

And Theo gets the start?? Doesn't Bob realize that we pay Theo the same amount whether he's in the net letting in soft ones, or on the bench not?

Theodore in goal?

To provide some offense. Our shots on goal total has to go up, so now our goalie has to shoot as well. Hey, he scored a goal already.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...78-4a90aa0ceb04

Habs stagger into T.O.

By PAT HICKEY

It was no surprise that Canadiens coach Bob Gainey didn't want to talk about Thursday's 3-0 loss in Ottawa.

Or the first five games of a disastrous six-game road swing, which sees the Canadiens limp into tonight's final game of the trip against the Maple Leafs (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, CJAD Radio-800) with a 1-4 record.

Or the fact the Canadiens have only two wins in their last 19 games on the road.

"We're focusing on making the playoffs and that means thinking about (tonight's) game against the Leafs," Gainey said after running his team though a high-energy workout that included lots of skating and three-on-three shinny.

"We're below that line in the standings which marks the eight teams that are in a playoff positions, but we're playing a team that's been having some troubles of their own and they're one point ahead," Gainey said. "Our goal is to win (tonight) and pick up two points."

Despite all the Canadiens' problems, they are only two points behind the eighth-place Atlanta Thrashers and have three games in hand.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that the Canadiens have been regressing, going from bad to worse. They can't even take much joy from their 5-3 win in Philadelphia this week because they were outplayed and wound up on the short end of a 27-15 shot count. The Canadiens won only because they had a strong performance from goaltender Cristobal Huet, and four goals from Jan Bulis.

Huet played well in Ottawa, but the rest of the Canadiens took the night off. Disinterested is the best word to describe the team's play.

"You saw the game, I don't have to tell you what happened," Steve Begin said. "It's tough to play when one or two guys take the night off; it's impossible when 20 guys don't show up."

Gainey appeared to be at a loss when asked what it would take to get the Canadiens out of what he called a "funk."

"We've been having problems for a while and if we knew what they were, we'd fix them," he said.

Gainey, who doubles as the Canadiens' general manager, said he was open to making changes.

"We have our antennae up. We picked up Aaron Downey on waivers; we've brought some guys up from the minors and we'll listen to any teams that want to talk to us about trades.

"In the position we're in, we're open to any possibilities," Gainey added.

That's one way of saying that there are no untouchables on this team and the Canadiens would be prepared to trade goaltender Jose Theodore or captain Saku Koivu, the two most popular players on the club.

Theodore has been the backup goalie for the past two games and, while Gainey wasn't prepared to name his starting goalie for tonight, the smart money says Huet will get the start again.

Theodore continues to be the subject of trade debate, but a rumoured deal with Edmonton seems unlikely. One possible scenario would see a swap with Anaheim for Jean-Sebastien Giguere, who had a run-in with coach Randy Carlyle this week.

The Leafs are banged up with Aki Berg (ribs) joining Eric Lindros, Brian McCabe and Carlo Colaiacovo on the sidelines. The Canadiens are generally healthy, although Mathieu Dandenault, Michael Ryder and Craig Rivet skipped practice yesterday to rest minor bumps and bruises.

The Canadiens made one roster move yesterday, returning Andrei Kostitsyn to the Hamilton Bulldogs.

The Canadiens' next game is Tuesday when the Carolina Hurricanes visit the Bell Centre.

phickey@thegazette.canwest.com

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2006

Well this will be a tough one for sure.

Hopefully Montreal wins and I don’t care how if they win 1-0 and get out shot 500-1 I will be happy all that matters is they win.

But if they do get out shot by a wide margin that is disgusting. If the boys can not get pumped to play the leafs that’s real bad if they can not get pumped to play the leafs who have beat them 3 times in a row by a single goal and are a single point ahead of them in the standings it will be time to concede the season.