Game Thread | Montreal Vs. Maple Leafs | 01/28/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is what I have been looking for from Koivu. Leadership. Played hard tonight, drove the net, and everyone looked better.

I am still miffed at the non-call that let the leaf's tie it. I don't think Theo was set for that one.

Overally, Theo played way way way better tonight. He made some key saves and looked more confident. Even that 5-3 he made a few huge ones before they scored.

Finally!!!! We beat these jerks.

It wasnt pretty (we played like garbage again actually) , but we got the win, and thats whats important. 8 straight loses for the leafs, think Quinn's job is secure?

"hotstove"? How quaint.

Doubt they were at the CJ meeting, wouldn't take what they said as fact. Anyway we need a quick goal, from Kovalev in fact!

Actually on the hotstove they said that this incident occured (at practice?) in front of the entire team.

Attaboy Saku!

Was about time that Koivu and Kovalev stepped up. It was getting embarassing how ineffective both were in recent games. Still a little sad though that its the supporting cast's efforts that rubbed off the two top players.

Overall the team looked focused through the entire game and you could sense that this game was up for grabs until the end.

Only negative point is Theo's still playing iffy. That Klee goal to tie it up was ugly. It caught the end of Theo's glove but still got in fair. Really really bad angle coverage there.

In the end, its a good overall performance to build on.

The last Leaf goal was questionable but Theo didn't have any chance on the other two goals. Plus he made 4 or 5 huge saves in the 1st and a couple in the second. I think he had a great game in total.

On the whole though I am afraid this game had the look of a battle between two teams that are not playoff quality. The Leaf's have some injured players and will improve when Lindros and Macabe return. We need to get some confidence and play with more speed. Our level of play tonight will not get us a playoff spot.

Excellent win. I was glad the boys picked up Theodore after that third goal. It was a rocket from the top of the circle, but the 2004/2005 Jose would have stopped it. Theo played a solid game, one that can help him regain his confidence. A loss would have been yet another setback in his season. The Carolina game, should he start, will be a good measuring stick for our $5 million dollar man. Can't wait.

I don't think we should go back to an all-José diet. He looked very strong all night, except on the tying goal, but he'll probably still need some time to achieve real consistency (assuming that he did turn the corner tonight, and that this wasn't just another tease). He's probably quite mentally drained, too, after these awful weeks. Give Huet the next start and then go back to José for two or three games.

Don't know why people are saying the Habs looked weak tonight - as a team, they were much better 5 on 5 than they've been in some time. And they only took a couple of stupid penalties. Baby steps, but this is something they can build on at least.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The team looked pretty good tonight, not excellent, and not horrible. It was good to see Kovy and Koivy getting some points on the board, and Theodore looking a little more solid. Also, it was good to see the defence playing better and helping out with the transition game.

We need Koivu to play like he did on that last goal. He scored by pure determination ... like a captain should do.

Hopefully this will be a bit of a confidence booster for the good ol' Habs.

Theodore looked genuinely good tonight. He seemed shaky at the beginning (or maybe that was me being nervous that he was there), but quickly settled and made some key saves. No chance on the first two, and little chance on the 3rd. He gave the kind of goaltending I expect.

Koivu and Kovalev were much better. The effort from both was there, so hopefully they'll keep it up. Good play by Kovy to draw the penalty in overtime.

In short, our best players were our best players tonight. And we won. Imagine that.

And on TSN, the story title was originally "Heart Break". *laughs*

So yours truly writes in to the Your Call with the following message which will certainly not be printed, but which I thought you'd all appreciate.

*shock* TSN changes title from Heart Break to something positive about Montreal! Could the Toronto Sports Network actually be turning its back on the only team in hockey (in its estimation)?

;)

Our best players were our best players tonight. Theo had a solid game and contrary to what some believe the third goal wasn't soft, it was a one time laser from the top of the circle, Theo was in good position at the top of the crease, he just got beaten by a great shot. The goal should never have happened as there should have been a penalty called on the Leafs for interference on Koivu. It was so nice to see us on the power play in OT rather than them. Ohhh, it feels so good to beat the Leafs.