Manny Fernandez

gohabsgo252006

Rumours from the Ottawa Sun say

There's "plenty of talk in Minny" that Wild goalie Manny Fernandez won't re-sign with the club and instead expects to become the Montreal Canadiens number one goalie. Garrioch believes he'd be a "nice fit" for the Habs should they trade Jose Theodore, although they'd prefer Roberto Luongo.

I'm a very big fan of Manny Fernandez, I think he's very underrated. He's shown that he can play in the playoffs and will likely come much cheaper than either Theo or Luongo.

I do wonder however, where these rumours are coming from...IF it was a trade rumour I would believe more than, the idea that he is interested in signing with the habs as a UFA. Either way I think it's interesting and I believe that he would be a good option. Especially if Huet can keep up his play either he or Danis could form a very good 1 / 2 punch, minnesota style.

Not sure we can count on that ... Eklund is reporting a (e4) rumor that has Roloson & Dupuis going out of Minny, unless the Wild gets a number one goalie in return, they will try to resign Manny.

If they are stock with both Roloson & Fernandez, I would bet they'd resign Manny first.

fernandez will be a free agent. Fernandez is a reliable #1 calibre goalie who will probably be cheaper than most of the elites.

This means:

a. a lot of teams are going to try to sign him in the off-season

B. if he/his agent can build up speculation as to who's gunning for him, he can push for a bigger contract probably.

Edited by simonus

There's "plenty of talk in Minny" that Wild goalie Manny Fernandez won't re-sign with the club and instead expects to become the Montreal Canadiens number one goalie. Garrioch believes he'd be a "nice fit" for the Habs should they trade Jose Theodore, although they'd prefer Roberto Luongo.

I'm a very big fan of Manny Fernandez, I think he's very underrated. He's shown that he can play in the playoffs and will likely come much cheaper than either Theo or Luongo.

I do wonder however, where these rumours are coming from...IF it was a trade rumour I would believe more than, the idea that he is interested in signing with the habs as a UFA. Either way I think it's interesting and I believe that he would be a good option. Especially if Huet can keep up his play either he or Danis could form a very good 1 / 2 punch, minnesota style.

I completely agree. I've been saying for the past 2 months that Fernandez is exactly what we need.

1) Trade Theo to get a quality player to upgrade a forward or a D

2) Manny is cheaper, and a much better bang for your $$$...we could probably sign him for 3M$/year for 3 years...then Price would come in...

3) He's from Mtl (nephew of Jacques Lemaire) and knows the pressure of playing here

4) Probably is a dream for him to play for the Habs...

Another option is to hold on to Theo for another year (YEURK!!!!) and sign Luongo as a UFA after the 2006-07 season or trade for him this summer. If Florida can't sign him, they will be looking into getting something in return. If they wait until the season starts, the more they will come close to the trade deadline, the less return they will get. Nobody gives up equal value for a guy that is about to be a UFA. Theo and Zednik for Luongo this summer would be nice :) They get a good goalie in return that needs a change and is cheaper then the 6M$ they're offering Luongo...plus they get help up front with a decent goal scorer.

All I know is that Theo's days in Mtl are counted....

Not sure we can count on that ... Eklund is reporting a (e4) rumor that has Roloson & Dupuis going out of Minny, unless the Wild gets a number one goalie in return, they will try to resign Manny.

If they are stock with both Roloson & Fernandez, I would bet they'd resign Manny first.

They have a great prospect in Josh Harding who's in second season in the AHL. He's currently 21-7 with a 2.63 GAA and a 0.923 SV%. They will need an experience backup for next year who's willing to play mentor role and I doubt that this fits Manny's description...it actually fits more Roloson's description.

I doubt Roloson will be signed. Habs still have Theo, Huet and Danis knocking on the door pretty soon to have a permanent place in the Habs.

Its Fernandez we want, not Roloson. Theo is trade bait, Huet is UFA who's rumoured to go play in Switzerland next year and Danis would be a perfect back up to Fernandez. Danis is not #1 goalie material for Mtl.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

They can TRY and re-sign him, but he will be UFA so he can do whatever he wants and the rumour is implying that he would want to play in Montreal.

I doubt Roloson will be signed. Habs still have Theo, Huet and Danis knocking on the door pretty soon to have a permanent place in the Habs.

Huet will never be a number 1 goalie. he is a great backup though.

I would love to see Manny come home to play, along with a few of Montreal's homeboy forwards around the league.

Huet will never be a number 1 goalie. he is a great backup though.

I would love to see Manny come home to play, along with a few of Montreal's homeboy forwards around the league.

With unresticted free agency attainable at a much younger age, I think and HOPE that some local talent will want to come home when they will be able to and defend the Habs uniform (ex: Tanguay, Gagné, Lecavalier, Bergeron, maybe Richards from PEI but played in the Q, Crosby in 6 years, etc.). I would take just a couple of these guys...

If the Habs fall out of playoff contention, I bet they try to trade Theodore, let a Huet/Danis tandem finish the year, and try to sign a goalie this summer.

I'd actually like that....except then the Habs would be out of playoff contention.

Don't think this will happen because I think Fernandez is Jacques Lemaire's nephew or something.

I'd be surprised if Huet is even in the NHL after this season. Earlier this season, he was quoted as saying he didn't believe he was in the Habs long-range plans, and he fully expected to be playing in Europe after his current contract expired. Granted, I don't think anyone could have seen the events as they have unfolded, no matter how hard they may want to claim they did, but I'm really not sure that things have changed that much. Danis played well during his brief stint at the beginning of the season, and with another full year of AHL play, he'll be the front-runner for the back-up job, I think.

As for the Sun story, it is Bruce Garrioch we're talking about here. Jeez, it only took how many seasons to get the Ottawa's-trading-Bonk story right?

However, upon reading it again, this doesn't sound like a trade rumour so much as an opinion on where he might go.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago in a Minnesota newspaper, where Fernandez said either he or Roloson were going to be traded before the trade deadline. Can't find that article, damn, source..

Although Brad would be nice acquisition for the Habs he is another left-handed forward. Kubina is a great defenseman although has a terrible career +- stat.

As for Manny and the Habs that could be a great fit but I believe he enjoys working under his uncle Jacques in Minnesota and I don’t believe Jacques is leaving his post anytime soon. For a deal like this to happen Montreal would have to be guaranteed to move Theo’s salary.