Game Thread | Habs Vs. Bruins | 02/02/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Thomas is no better then Theo he is only 6-1-2 with a .940 save percentage, a 1.96 GAA and 1 shutout. Wow I never thought I would see the day where Montreal feels outgunned in nets against Boston with Tim Thomas in nets.

Tim Thomas is no better then Theo he is only 6-1-2 with a .940 save percentage, a 1.96 GAA and 1 shutout. Wow I never thought I would see the day where Montreal feels outgunned in nets against Boston with Tim Thomas in nets.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Those are amazing stats and he's been playing amazing in his past few games, even shutting out the Sens. It turns out Raycroft was only a one-hit wonder but this guy looks great. And then there's Toivunen who's very good.

I believe we should stick with Huet for a while. Theodore has had his chance. People said that he is just rusty at the starting of the season but we are half way through the season and he still sucks.

Make a trade Gainey!

Tony, that reminds me of the advice I heard for the Habs from Glenn Healy during the Flames/Jackets game.

Cuthbert: What do you think the Canadiens need to start doing to get it going?

Healy: They need to start winning some games.

Ooooh, Glenn, thanks for letting us in on that golden nugget of information...

I hate Glenn Healy so much....

Go habs!

I'm going to say something contentious here: I miss the Nordiques. When the Nordiques were around there was so much less media attention being paid to the Habs. After they moved it left a vacume for those cynical "journalists" who have nothing better to do than rail on a player when they are down, and promote them to God like status when they play well. It is no coincidence that the Nordiques sucked until they moved to Colorado, and that the Habs haven't had very many good seasons since.

If you want the habs to improve, get rid of the former Nordiques sports writers and news papers that published them, or bring back a team for the Quebec writers to criticize.

I said it was going to be contentious ;)

I am there 500% with the Theo comment and about 65% with the Gainey comment. I am not ready to give up on Gainey yet, I am concerned but not terrified.

There is too much stock put on what happened years ago from people. Gainey has made some moves since being a habs and none of them have turned up roses. (Theo's contract, Bonk and even Kovalev is in question).

The thing that actually concerns me is his SLOW way about him. If his house was on fire how long would it take him to decide between calling the fire department and getting out of the burning house?

Still I'm only 65%, so for now I trust in Gainey.

I can't believe you guys. The star goalie goes--completely uexpectedly-- into the tank and you want to get rid of the new GM after a year and a half???!!!!! :(

Get real! It takes years to rebuild a franchise after it was devastated like the HABS were under Houle.

If Jose's play was even mediocre we'd be comfortably in a playoff spot right now. You cant blame Gainey for that or for trying to spark Jose's play with a vote of confidence after the coaching change. You think its easy trading a goalie with a big contract who's not playing well? You can see how successful the Blues were with Lalime--couldn't get rid of him for nothing at half price!

Same with Khabibulin in Chicago before he was hurt... no takers

The team will become a perenial contender again, but Bob is following a 'five year, stick- to- your- guns' plan NOT an 'ooops- things- aren't- going- right -this- season- lets- panic- and- trade- all- the -players plan'

Thank God for Bob's patience. Things will get better :hockey: :hlogo:

BTW: 65% agreeing that BG should be run out of town is not trust

Edited by PMAC

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...ef-c783694033c8

Theo, Habs searching for answers

By PAT HICKEY

What's the matter with Jose Theodore?

That's the $4.5-million (U.S.) question for the Canadiens. Canadiens vice-president, general manager and head coach Bob Gainey has added psychologist to his list of titles as he attempts to find the answer.

Gainey and Theodore sat down for a heart-to-heart talk yesterday in an attempt to get to the root of what Gainey described as "sporadic" and "inconsistent" performances.

"I'm trying to understand him better," Gainey said. "I want to know if he's having any problems and how we can address those problems the best we can."

Gainey said inconsistent goaltending isn't the only reason the Canadiens find themselves in a three-way tie for ninth place in the Eastern Conference heading into tonight's game against the Bruins at TD Banknorth Garden (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, CJAD Radio-800).

Gainey said Cristobal Huet will start in goal. That's no surprise, because Theodore has failed to finish three of his last four starts and he's the main reason the Canadiens' goaltending ranks 23rd among the 30 National Hockey League teams.

Gainey said he wasn't sure when Theodore would make his next start - Huet's performance might have a bearing on that decision - but he said the team will do whatever it takes to get Theodore back on track, short of a stint with the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Sending Theodore to the minors is out because (a) it would be a sign of disrespect for the former Hart and Vezina Trophy winner and could destroy his confidence and (B) there's the chance some team might pick him up, believing the theory that all he needs is a change of scenery.

"He's played some very good games for us and picked up some wins, but there have been some nights when the team has played well and the goaltending hasn't been there," Gainey said.

Theodore, who took part in an optional workout at Verdun yesterday before the team left for Boston, wasn't in a talkative mood.

But, after he was yanked during Tuesday's 8-2 loss to Carolina, the goalie described his current troubles as a "slump."

But Gainey and Theodore appear to be giving the goaltender a bit too much credit. His play has steadily eroded and his goals-against average has gone up to 3.46 after hovering around the 3.00 mark for most of the season. His save percentage, which has seldom been higher than .890, has dropped to .881.

Earlier this season, Theodore and company could point to other goalies who struggled with new equipment and the "new" NHL, but many of those goalies have adjusted. A case in point is New Jersey's Martin Brodeur, who was named the NHL defensive player of the month yesterday. He's one of the big reasons the Devils are among the teams who jumped past the Canadiens in the standings last month.

Tonight's game is the first of two between the Canadiens and the Bruins. The clubs will meet again Saturday at noon. Each team has 52 points, with the Canadiens holding two games in hand. A double loss in the series would be a crushing blow to either team.

Gainey, whose record has dropped to 4-5 since he replaced Claude Julien as head coach, said he hoped to gain some momentum before the Olympic break, which begins Feb. 11.

"We have a handful of games, including four at home, and we're hoping to improve our position."

While Huet is set to start in goal, Gainey said he was still undecided about the rest of his roster. The status of Jan Bulis will affect some of the decisions. Bulis remained in Montreal yesterday with the flu, but could join his teammates today.

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2006

260192-88199.jpg

Go Habs GO

WOOO HUET HUET

Go Habs, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT, pummel those Broons to my delight.

That's my rhyming cheer for tonights game, I hope it brings some motivation to Les Boys.

and the motivating movie quote for tonights game

"Let's put the women and Children to bed and go hunting for some dinnner" from the Program.

GO HABS GO

I can understand that feeling toward Theodore, but Gainey? Treason!!!

BG AS NOT DONE A THING TO MAKE THE TEAM BETTER, there worst with him behind the beach..his not cutting it as coach and as not did. much as GM SO FAR.the only way to save him self is to sign some good players in the off season.

Gainey has only been the GM for a short time and it has been in an odd NHL era. With a salary cap and full year of lockout things have changed things no one could have perdicted. Give BG a break who would you rather have as GM?

Edited by JMMR

He did actually make the team bigger and grittier. The problem is the core of the team who have been here for a few years now. Theo is unable to steal games 2 to 1 anymore. He did sign Kovalev, although not really putting up numbers he is the most talented guy the habs have had in years, plus all the young talent a year or 2 away. It takes a few years to fix a decade of problems.

Maybe Bob needs to give THEO a surprise start, tell everyone Huet until 4 minutes before the game, maybe he won't have a chance to psych himself out.

Great idea! Maybe he scores 4 goals.

In Bob we trust.

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Did you know Tim Thomas was selected the best goalie in europe last season?

"We haven’t played them much this year. We only played them twice and it was early in the season. The first game of the season it was big. It was the first game of the season and in a couple years for the NHL. There is a sense of the rivalry though. You can definitely feel it and you can tell it’s there. I think this week, especially, I will really get a better feel of it.”

-Brad Boyes, bostonbruins.com

I am there 500% with the Theo comment and about 65% with the Gainey comment. I am not ready to give up on Gainey yet, I am concerned but not terrified.

There is too much stock put on what happened years ago from people. Gainey has made some moves since being a habs and none of them have turned up roses. (Theo's contract, Bonk and even Kovalev is in question).

The thing that actually concerns me is his SLOW way about him. If his house was on fire how long would it take him to decide between calling the fire department and getting out of the burning house?

Still I'm only 65%, so for now I trust in Gainey.

Before everyone panics, look at the 90-91 stars

27-39-14 regular season

lost in the finals to Pens

I trust Gainey, he is the best we have had running this team in many years. Have faith, we will win many cups before the Leafs or Bruins get one.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4756

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Bruins

BOSTON – The Canadiens will look to get back to their winning ways as they face the Boston Bruins in the first game of a home-and-home series; the second meeting goes Saturday afternoon at the Bell Centre.

With two wins in its last three road games, Montreal will be looking for its second straight road win following the club’s 4-3 overtime victory over Toronto last Saturday. The Canadiens last posted back-to-back victories away from the Bell Centre on Oct. 31 and Nov. 4.

The Bruins head into tonight’s matchup on the heels of a 5-0 shutout of the Ottawa Senators. Mike Sullivan’s crew have now earned at least a point in eight of their last nine games, making the battle for the last few playoff spots that much tighter.

Tonight is the third meeting between the Canadiens and Bruins this season. Bob Gainey’s squad took the first two by finals of 2-1 and 4-3 on Oct. 5 and Oct. 18, respectively.

See you soon! This home-and-home series between the Canadiens and Bruins is the 75th of its kind between the two longtime Original Six rivals. In 148 games in these series, Montreal holds the upper hand, with a 70-56-14 record and outscoring Boston 425-369. In addition, the Canadiens have swept the series 16 times, while the Bruins have accomplished the feat just eight times and have not done so in nearly fifty years; the last Bruins sweep in a home-and-home came in 1956-57. Montreal got its revenge later that season, beating Boston in the Stanley Cup Finals, four games to one.

A love-hate relationship: Ever since Alex Kovalev joined the Canadiens in March 2004, the Bruins certainly haven’t looked forward to the meetings. In 10 games, including the 2004 playoff series, Kovalev has had his way with Boston, recording five goals and seven assists. Tonight, he’ll aim to extend his points streak against the Bruins to eight games; the 32-year-old has collected 44 points in 46 career games against Boston.

Post-Joe era: After shocking the hockey world by trading Joe Thornton to the San Jose Sharks, the Bruins are slowly but surely showing that the deal wasn’t one-sided. In 26 games since Nov. 30, Boston has posted a 14-9-3 record. Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau, the three players acquired in the trade, have combined for 24 goals and 24 helpers since heading east. Of the 24 goals, five have been game-winners and four of those have been courtesy of Sturm.

4756_3.jpg

Cristobal Huet will experience the Canadiens-Bruins rivalry for the first time as he makes his ninth start tonight in Boston.