Sign The Petition

Hbs4Evr

http://www.petitiononline.com/nhl66/petition.html

NHL wants to change the jerseys

TSN.ca Staff

2/2/2006

When NHL GMs get together in Las Vegas next week, they will be discussing and debating all the weighty issues of the day, from reviewing the new rules to goalie inteference to video replay and, no doubt, a lot of trade talk, too.

But five will get you 10 the most interesting and potentially explosive dialogue will be saved for whether a shirt should be tucked or untucked. Actually, make that a sweater, a hockey sweater.

Here's the scoop.

RBK, the hockey company -- you know, Sidney Crosby's other employer -- has spent millions of dollars testing and re-designing the performance and look of the traditional hockey uniform and has come up with a sleek new design that many traditionalists will view as radical. Most GMs have a prototype in hand, some have even had one of their players privately model and test them.

RBK, and the league head office, will maintain these new uniforms are a revolutionary step forward, that the integrated equipment and fabric will enhance safety and performance, that players will be more agile, better protected and their equipment will be much lighter and drier.

But here's the rub. Hockey traditionalists, and that would be most of the GMs, don't like the look of them. Not a bit.

One anonymous GM said: "Terrible. Just terrible. If we're forced to use them, well, we've got no choice, but if there's a choice, no way."

The most striking difference between the old uniform and the new prototype is the form-fitting sweater is tucked into a new-look hockey pant that has extended kidney pads and rides much higher on the torso. We can't show you a picture of what this looks like because the league is keeping the look under wraps for now, although the Las Vegas team in the ECHL will be modeling them for the GMs during an on-ice session next week.

The tuck, apparently, is what drives some GMs crazy. For a team like Chicago or Carolina, which have unique markings or striping along the bottom of the sweater that is an intrinsic part of the their look, the tuck issue is huge. Because the fabric is tight, tucked and made of a new space-age material, there is some concern whether the traditon and integrity of the Montreal Canadien bleu, blanc et rouge, for example, will be upheld.

Suffice to say, the apprehension level from the GMs on this issue is off the scale. Oh, this is going to be an interesting story, alright, for everyone, from the fans to the players and beyond. Stay tuned, this could get interesting.

First they wanted to have the goalies wear a different jersey then their teammates to stick out like they do from soccer (huh? :blink: ) then now they want to change the jerseys to something more form-fitting?! PLEASE make this marketing stop making my little brain sore from the BS that are spreading... :angry2:

I hope it doesn't look like the awful world junior jersey's (the team Canada one more specifically).

From what I've heard it will look like the following:

1120217446648w.jpg

:blink: Sign that petition. Here's hoping that will help.

I haven't seen it yet so I can't judge.

But if the jerseys will make the players lighter, drier and better protected then why not?

I also believe that a more slim jersey will make it easier for the referees to discover hooking.

Tradition or not, if a new outfit will benefit the game then Im all for it. Even if it looks silly.

I haven't seen it yet so I can't judge.

But if the jerseys will make the players lighter, drier and better protected then why not?

I also believe that a more slim jersey will make it easier for the referees to discover hooking.

Tradition or not, if a new outfit will benefit the game then Im all for it. Even if it looks silly.

I disagree

Tradition is very important. The NHL will need to ensure that that the sweater image will remain intact the fit may be altered but for it to be completely tucked in I believe is a poor idea could the sweater not just be pulled over the new pants and tied down with a tighter fight strap. As for that picture posted by Mathieu30 I cannot see it. Can someone post another image or a link?

The tuck, apparently, is what drives some GMs crazy. For a team like Chicago or Carolina, which have unique markings or striping along the bottom of the sweater that is an intrinsic part of the their look, the tuck issue is huge. Because the fabric is tight, tucked and made of a new space-age material, there is some concern whether the traditon and integrity of the Montreal Canadien bleu, blanc et rouge, for example, will be upheld.

This shouldn't be a problem, each team will be able to modify the looks of the pants, or change the patterns on the shirt to make it more commercial.

I believe that we need to keep an open mind, and tradition is BS. Goalies would still have brown pads and no helmets if you'd think about tradition before safety.

• 1 month later...

Why is the NHL constantly trying to improve the game? It's FINE!!!!

The jerseys they are playing with currently are completely fine and I don't understand why they feel the need to change it! They already have some completely stupid new rules (i.e the goalie cant handle the puck outside the box behind the net) and they will ruin the classic game of hockey if they keep changing things.

The NHL is SO popular among fans around the world...Why are they acting like they are bankrupt, trying to convince fans to watch with their brutal ideas. So stupid...