An Idea

Trizzak

Just a thought I had. I'd like to see Sunny and Zednik traded for D help. I won't list names because a) I can't think of any, and b ) any names I list would just start a "Are you crazy? That guy won't help the Habs!"/"No way we could get him for Zednik and Sunny!" argument.

But anyways, Sunny + Zednik for "Defenseman"

Then move Dandenault to forward, replacing Sunny's spot. This also creates a(n optional) roster spot for Kostitsyn or Ivanans or Locke or Joe Shmoe.

Good idea? Bad idea?

I tell you, I'm not happy with Dandenault this season. I'd rather he be an overpayed, question-mark playing forward than an overpaid, proven-to-be-shitty defenceman. Might as well try something new and work in his versatility.

Edited by Trizzak

I'd like to see a lot of moved made, but I don't think it will happen. Besides moving Dandenault to a forward position doesn't help with the logjam at the position already, even though Zednik and Sundstrom would have been moved.

Better off getting Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn ice time at forward

I had a dream where Downey made some huge dekes and then scored a beauty and I was about to say how he should be in the line-up because he scored that goal. And I just remembered that it was a dream I hate it when that happens!

If we trade 2 forwards for 1 defenceman and then move up Dandy then we have even more room for both Perezhogin and Kostitsyn (they've never played in the same game yet). We'd have 8 d-men though (1 playing forward) but it can work. I hope Gainey does that. GAINEY!? Wake up, dammit!

What about for some short term help.......Eric Weinrich!

Really solid for the Habs when he was here before and but for a dumb trade (anyone remember Patrick Reverse) would still be knocking around.

He may get traded because he is a UFA at teh end of the season. Surely he is worth a draft pick for some short term help. Plus he would provide some much needed leadership on the blue line.

Dandenault's problem is that is playing too much. He's a good 3rd pair D who should play no more then 15 to 18 min per game MAX!!! Due to injuries and guys not playing up to their potential, we are forced to play him more often then we should.

Our problem is that if we had 2 good solid pairs of D that would play 20 to 25 min each, our 3rd pair would only have to play 15 to 18 min max. We have 1 pair with Markov and Rivet who are solid and can play that 20 to 25 min per game but we are far from having that 2nd pair. We need a top D for next year and it wouyld change the entire dynamic of our team and D. Guys available this summer if unsigned before July 1:

1) Redden

2) Chara

3) Kaberle

4) McCabe

5) ? others

My favourie would be Kaberle. He's 27 years old, 6'1" and 200 lbs and an excellent complete D who plays very well defensively and is also a very good quarterback for the PP. He would be the cheapest of these 4 guys and probably the one you get the most bang for your buck.

I would say Redden no question. He's easily overlooked. And chances are the Senators will be hardpressed to sign both him and Chara...

Kaberle and McCabe are very good, no doubt, but I don't think that the Leafs will let em go.

Sundstrom is a guy who coaches love because positionally he doesn't make any mistakes. Unfortunately he brings not much else to the table, in that he doesn't really stand out. There was a time when he was putting up 20 goal years for the Rangers (he was drafted very high and was highly touted)..but those days are long gone.

I was thinking, if they wanted to trade Sundstrom, trade him to Phoenix. Gretzky said that Nicklas Sundstrom was one of the smartest players he ever played with and really likes him. We could get a quality defenceman in return.

Maybe Denis Gauthier or Derek Morris? Throw in Zednik or Bonk or a Bulldog, and who knows. The way Plekanec has played since coming back from his knee injury, he's certainly not a liability in his own end, and from an offense standpoint, it would be a wash, at the worst.

i dont want short term help... I want a dynasty. BG is not going to throw draft picks around... i wouldnt be surprised if he even picked up a pick or two. Could he get rid of Sundstrom? Sure... maybe that would work out.

I frankly don't care how much Dandy is making, if he only merits the 3rd pair, put him on the 3rd pair. Look at Bonk on the 4th now. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Once you sign a player, try to forget about the salary and stick him where he works best. If bonk is a 4th liner, cool - look at it this way "sure bonk could center the top line in OTT, but he's just a 4th liner on les glorieux".... a bit psychotic? fine.

Maybe Zed goes away, maybe even back to Washington. As far as ribs goes, depends on how you read tea leaves. He has been getting 16 minutes a game over the last few and is now centering what could easily be called our top line. Is this showcasing or finding ribs a spot. I personally think ribs wants the habs to be his team and if BG can put him in a situation where he can allow himself to believe that this is the case, perhaps ribs can reach his potential. I am nowhere near the biggest ribs fan in the world, but I dont think he's going anywhere else quick, so lets hope he gets better.

anyways, dont forget that sundstrom is a UFA at the end of the season, so you'd basically have to send him somewhere that needs that 'extra piece'.... and frankly, what team in the world needs sundstrom as the extra piece?

Guys available this summer if unsigned before July 1:

1) Redden

2) Chara

3) Kaberle

4) McCabe

5) ? others

My favourie would be Kaberle. He's 27 years old, 6'1" and 200 lbs and an excellent complete D who plays very well defensively and is also a very good quarterback for the PP. He would be the cheapest of these 4 guys and probably the one you get the most bang for your buck.

Kaberle is surely not bad but would you really take him over a Chara or Redden? Heck if we only could have Chara, meeh, what an upgrade ... :rolleyes:

Don't worry - Gainey is going to do something under the radar. We will no doubt be delighted (I hope).

Let's remember. For the exception of the Bonk trade and possibly losing Perreault, Gainey has been genius. My two favorite moves are the Kovalev and Begin moves.

I have reservations about trading Zed. I wish he would smarten up! He's a nightmare in the playoffs but is doing little to make keeping him worthwhile. It's important to have patience with a playoff nightmare but Zed isn't even meeting the bare minimum to justify his staying. :angry:

Maybe he can turn it around - HE'D BETTER DO IT SOON!

Denis Gauthier would be nice. Too bad he's injured right now. Maybe he'll be back by the break.

Imagine a Gauthier and Souray, Rivet or Komisarek pairing. LETHAL! Can our enemies spell W-H-O-M-P?

Very soon habs games would have Batman graphics liKe BAM - WHAM - BOOM - SLAM!

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I would say Redden no question. He's easily overlooked. And chances are the Senators will be hardpressed to sign both him and Chara...

Kaberle and McCabe are very good, no doubt, but I don't think that the Leafs will let em go.

Sundstrom is a guy who coaches love because positionally he doesn't make any mistakes. Unfortunately he brings not much else to the table, in that he doesn't really stand out. There was a time when he was putting up 20 goal years for the Rangers (he was drafted very high and was highly touted)..but those days are long gone.

if ottawa cannot afford him what makes you think we can?

Ottawa can't afford Chara or maybe Redden because of the salary cap. Or so other teams are hoping. But with the cap going up next season, they may just have enough room..mind you they also have to re-sign the soon to be RFA Jason Spezza.

Montreal could easily fit 5 million under the cap, and even more so under next season's cap.

Edited by smon

It would be amazing if the Habs could land either of Redden or Chara.

Chara and Soury have become buddies in the lockout year and Redden is my pick for the Norris trophy this year.

Not to mention both appear to be big time team players.

On the other hand I believe that if Redden leaves the Sens he will go out west in canada as that is where he is from and I am sure he would love to play out there.

Redden is my Norris pick too. If we get him than our team is almost set. Like ch_nl constantly says, we only need a top defenceman and then a top offensive forward before we become contenders. A good forward combined with Redden would give us a great team. Also, Ottawa said they would prefer to resign Chara over Redden so I really doubt that Chara ever gets on the market.

"if ottawa cannot afford him what makes you think we can?" - habs rule

1) We have more cap space than Ottawa

2) Ottawa is practically bankrupt whereas we are a rich franchise

Redden is my Norris pick too. If we get him than our team is almost set. Like ch_nl constantly says, we only need a top defenceman and then a top offensive forward before we become contenders. A good forward combined with Redden would give us a great team. Also, Ottawa said they would prefer to resign Chara over Redden so I really doubt that Chara ever gets on the market.

"if ottawa cannot afford him what makes you think we can?" - habs rule

1) We have more cap space than Ottawa

2) Ottawa is practically bankrupt whereas we are a rich franchise

I think Ottawa will have to make a choice about who they want to keep, and I'd keep Chara over Redden any day.

That being said, the Leafs, Panthers (Martin connection), Penguins, and I'm sure some teams no one will think about will want Redden. I doubt he'll be available for less than 5.5m.

Sens aren't near bankruptcy any longer. When Melnyk bought the teams (he is a billionaire, by the way) he ensured, and I'm sure the league did as well, that the financial footing will be solid for many years to come. The Sens are in fine financial shape, not the best, but that's more market related than anything.

But they will have cap issues.

Ottawa can't afford Chara or maybe Redden because of the salary cap. Or so other teams are hoping. But with the cap going up next season, they may just have enough room..mind you they also have to re-sign the soon to be RFA Jason Spezza.

Montreal could easily fit 5 million under the cap, and even more so under next season's cap.

Okay here is an idea. I don't think I really like it but you can tell me (and all of HW) what you think of it.

We could offer Spezza 6 million this summer. He will be an RFA . I think if we sign him that would mean that we forfeit our next 5 number 1 picks which probably makes the cost too steep. Still he is just what we need. On the other hand I think Ottawa would still match that offer. Paying Spezza 6 million would force Ottawa to give up either Chara or Redden.

Edited by Peter Puck

A team like Carolina can do it. Instead of trading away a first and all that junkfor Weight they can do it for a similar guy via RFA sheet at the beginning of the season. Of course there's more risks and possibly a higher price but in the right scenario it can work quite well.

True, but think about the expectations it would place on a player. They've basically mortgaged their entire future on a single superstar. You'd hope that five first round draft picks would equal atleast two or three solid NHLers. And also, the salary cap space would then be really limited, since they'd basically have to offer the max contract to prevent his club from matching the offer.

True, but think about the expectations it would place on a player. They've basically mortgaged their entire future on a single superstar. You'd hope that five first round draft picks would equal atleast two or three solid NHLers. And also, the salary cap space would then be really limited, since they'd basically have to offer the max contract to prevent his club from matching the offer.

You don't have to offer max money. If the RFA comes from a team, like the Senators, with cap problems they can't easily match the offer. Plus it doesn't hurt the offering team if the offer is matched and the player stays with his old club. This is one of the reasons I like the idea of pursuing Spezza. If no other team makes Spezza an offer he might resign with Ottawa for say 4.5 million per year. But if we offer him 6 million per year (and he accepts), either we get him or else Ottawa has to give him 6 million per year and that makes it very very difficult to sign their UFA's. I think Spezza may be worth the 5 picks - after all none of them will be top 5 picks nor even top 10. I am sure that he is worth 6 million per year.

Edited by Peter Puck

I don’t know if I am as big on Spezza as you are. Yes he is a great player but he is fairly soft he never hits anyone. He for sure one of the top five playmakers in league, but would he be as good without Heatly and Alfie. I do not believe he is worth 5 picks or 6 million a season. I also believe the Habs could get more for five first rounders. Also the last thing you want to do is give draft picks to a divison rival.

In my opinion only a Franchise player would I trade in 5 first round picks! And none mentioned here are that!

Only one that comes to mind (witch could possibly be adquired) is Luongo! Long shot yes but not a Redden or a Chara forget that!