Will There Be A Trade?

MAK

there will a gm meeting somewhere this week and there won't be any trade allowed during the olympic break.

so it'S kinda now or never for gm to make a move in order.

do you yhink that gainey will move this week or will he wait.

and if there is, will it be a salary dump or he'll go for some help for the playoff run ??

I think there will be a move. but not a block buster. more of a salary dump

No there will be no trade...

Last time ppl went crazy because Gainey went with the team to Colorado... nothing happened, Fact is I dont think other GMs need more bad players on their team, and that prices for good players are too high (High draft picks, Prospects, or players like Markov, Begin or Kovalev) and that Gainey wont trade our future for a player that will give us 2-3 months and the leave as an UFA

And speaking of UFAs if we do get one, chances he wont stay here longer than his contract binds him... Not only is MTL the biggest pressure cooker in the league, but that taxes here scare the Players away. Why do you think Kovy stayed with us? BECAUSE WE WERE THE ONLY TEAM TO OFFER HIM 4 MILLION YEAR, the other teams either didn't want him (because of his bad rep) or were offering him 1-2 million dollar contract...

The GM meeting might give a chance to Gainey to speak to other GMs and stir some things up, but hes not gonna come back with a Superstar contarct in hand... we are going to have to wait for thr deadline, and by then it'll be too late...

Things can change fast...

I don't think Montreal will make a move before the break. Things are to uncertain.

If the Habs are in the race for a playoff spot then we might see an upgrade. If we're out then I expect some players to leave.

Things can change fast...

I don't think Montreal will make a move before the break. Things are to uncertain.

If the Habs are in the race for a playoff spot then we might see an upgrade. If we're out then I expect some players to leave.

I agree, if there is a trade, it won't be until close to the deadline.

I think bob's priority is to talk to koivu's agent during the break. If he doesn'T reach an agreement, he'll probably trade him for some young guns and draft picks

and best guess... Trades as a whole are stopped, im sure many GMs want to see how players behave (and play) with eachother in Torino... if lets say Koivu and Selanne are still good together, door might open for a Trade with Anaheim (for example only) get the drift?

I believe Gainey is not looking for another forward. The Habs are in the market for a defensemen and I know most teams in the NHL expecting to make the playoffs will be looking for the same thing. Gainey seems to interested in giving the rookies pretty big ice time to acquire a veteran forward to steal time from these highly skilled prospects.

I believe Gainey is not looking for another forward. The Habs are in the market for a defensemen and I know most teams in the NHL expecting to make the playoffs will be looking for the same thing. Gainey seems to interested in giving the rookies pretty big ice time to acquire a veteran forward to steal time from these highly skilled prospects.

I disagree.

I think Gainey will make a deal within days of the meeting to bring in a D-man of some sort, but I think he is also looking for an offensive minded forward to lend a hand.

Okay. Habitforming Gainey might look for a forward and if he does it will be a right-handed centre. There are very few if any of those available as they all play for playoff contending teams.

But only time will tell.

If you disagree with this tell me what Gainey may be interested in acquiring and where he would fit in the line up if the Canadiens play well for the remainder of the games before the break.

Okay. Habitforming Gainey might look for a forward and if he does it will be a right-handed centre. There are very few if any of those available as they all play for playoff contending teams.

But only time will tell.

If you disagree with this tell me what Gainey may be interested in acquiring and where he would fit in the line up if the Canadiens play well for the remainder of the games before the break.

What about trading forwards for other forwards, this way kids can still play.

But only time will tell.

Saying where the player would fit in the line up is impossible to consider when someone would be going the other way in any trade made.

The Habs are playing well [in the last 2 games anyway] but there is still 3-4 players that could be dealt without taking anything but a warm jersey out of the lineup.

I did some looking around because I remember reading something to this extent and found this.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl060204.html

nothing concrete, but then again this is a trade rumor/speculation thread anyway. :hlogo:

Okay possibly but as of right now, the top two lines are Koivu Higgins Ryder all I believe untouchables, second line Kovy (untouchable no team wants that contract for an under performer) Perez (untouchable) and Ribs who is expendable but as I said in my pervious post the Habs need a top two line right handed centre which as of right now is unattainable.

P.S.

This is a great conversation. Please Respond ASAP.

Okay time will tell. But I think the Habs have a great set of forwards when they are motivated and allocated proper ice time.

Okay possibly but as of right now, the top two lines are Koivu Higgins Ryder all I believe untouchables, second line Kovy (untouchable no team wants that contract for an under performer) Perez (untouchable) and Ribs who is expendable but as I said in my pervious post the Habs need a top two line right handed centre which as of right now is unattainable.

P.S.

Okay time will tell. But I think the Habs have a great set of forwards when they are motivated and allocated proper ice time.

There are a boat load of teams sitting on the brink of selling or buying right now and the Turino break might be the deadline they have set [at least in their heads]. As far as specific players it is likely as you see it.... a right handed center. Although only if the player has offensive upside or flair. Gainey tried this before and it didn't pan out [ Dowd]

Aside from the bottom teams there are 4 others per conference that could close up shop and start dealing.

The cap issue has almost no effect as most of the salary of any player has been paid thus far; the only way it could effect anyone is if you decide to keep said player for the following season and then you would have to cut $ ala the Devils this season before the season starts.

This is great conversation but alas, I have to go. I will be looking for the reply tomorrow for sure. Thanks for the debate though

Edited by Habitforming

P.S.

If Ribs is expendable (and I wholeheartedly agree) then I don't necessarily see a right-handed center as being the only possibility. If a left-handed upgrade at center is available, I don't see why Gainey wouldn't take it.

Because Bonk or Plex could fill that role.

Or Bulis

I don't see any of those guys being a significant upgrade over Ribiero. Bonk hasn't proved much of anything this year, Plex is looking good for it in another year or two, and Bulis is a great 3rd line player who teases with occasional 2nd line flashes.

When Koivu was out he was the only player who stepped it up. I believe if Ribs falters again that Bulis will be the 2nd line centre. In 15 games from Dec. 13- to Jan. 16th a 15 game span he had 15 points. Not to mention his play with a full line-up and a smaller role still averaging a point a game in his last 7, and although that is an inflated stat including his 4 goal game he is still producing and is a plus 7 in those seven games.

P.S.

I totally agree.

we need desperately a second line center (or a first, then saks to #2). Plex is the only guy who can fill that role IMO. Ribs can't hold onto the puck.

A crasher/banger guy that can shoot to play with Kovy and Perez. The line will rock.

I actually think there will be some moves. People like Sundstrum Ribiero, Zednick, Souray or Rivet may have a chance to be traded. Do they have any real value is the question. The habs need to get some D who can skate. As a whole, the D is very slow. I do like the Komisarek Markov Pairing. Bouillon and Dandy are ok. Look for the habs to get a D and a LW.