Guillaume Latendresse - Player Of The Week

shortcat1

As for the drafting trend, it's already started. No Russians drafted in the 1st round last year and I could easily see that happen again this year. I had a talk with the director of scouting for ISS about this topic and how it can impact teams down the road. It's a gamble that may or may not pay off. The Sens took a shot drafting a couple guys in '05 from Russia, so it will be interesting to see how that works out for them.

Thanks for the reply.

It looks as if the situation is reverting back to what it was in the late 80's early 90's, and Euro prospects fall later then their projected rank. Jagr would have easily go 1st overall to the Nordiques in 1989, but they already picked Sundin 1st overall the years before, and they couldnt risk drafting another Euro 1st overall and not be sure any of both would come over to N-A. As you said, it already started with Kopitar projected top 5 leaving around 11th instead.

This makes drafts much more interesting, in a way. Teams in the middle of the 1st round would see great Euro talents slip later than their rank and could gamble on them and get better players than their pick rank, like Vancouver did with Pavel Bure back in the days.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply.

It looks as if the situation is reverting back to what it was in the late 80's early 90's, and Euro prospects fall later then their projected rank. Jagr would have easily go 1st overall to the Nordiques in 1989, but they already picked Sundin 1st overall the years before, and they couldnt risk drafting another Euro 1st overall and not be sure any of both would come over to N-A. As you said, it already started with Kopitar projected top 5 leaving around 11th instead.

This makes drafts much more interesting, in a way. Teams in the middle of the 1st round would see great Euro talents slip later than their rank and could gamble on them and get better players than their pick rank, like Vancouver did with Pavel Bure back in the days.

Well yes and no, it's not Euro prospects that will fall it's strickly Russians. The new Russian league if it gets off the ground, from what little I have read about it, sounds like it won't have too much of an impact on most Euro league prospects since Belarus, Latvia and the other former USSR countries actually have very few prospects drafted (outside of the Habs and their love of Belarusian prospects, and I've heard that Latvia has a nice crop of either '06 or '07 guys coming up, not sure how good though)

What I personally think we'll see if there's still no deal is that most NHL teams will pass over Russians in the 1st round and we may see many not drafted at all. A guy like Varlamov who might likely be a 2nd or 3rd round pick (considered by Russian prospects as #3 Russian for the draft) perhaps he will drop a couple rounds. A guy like Bumagin or Zharkov who might be middle round picks might not even get picked at all.

But it's all really unknown at this point, so we'll have to see how it pans out.

I sure hope they can get Emelin to come over next year, and play for the Bulldogs. Another guy I would like to see is Ryan O'Byrne, but since he's far from a sure NHLer, and in his senior year at Cornell, I really doubt he'll sign a profesionnal contrat just yet.

What do you guys think of Korneev? Should the Habs invite him over? He's small, but does have some great skills; with the "new" NHL rules, he might be a good fit.v If they invited Streit, I don't see why Korneev coudln't at least get a chance...

I sure hope they can get Emelin to come over next year, and play for the Bulldogs. Another guy I would like to see is Ryan O'Byrne, but since he's far from a sure NHLer, and in his senior year at Cornell, I really doubt he'll sign a profesionnal contrat just yet.

What do you guys think of Korneev? Should the Habs invite him over? He's small, but does have some great skills; with the "new" NHL rules, he might be a good fit.v If they invited Streit, I don't see why Korneev coudln't at least get a chance...

O'Byrne I hope to see in Hamilton but if they or he wants to stay for his senior year that's fine. Cornell is a very well coached team and while some did consider him the MVP of the team, he's clearly their #1 defensemen and he sees a ton of ice time this year. It would be the same next year for sure and he could join Hamilton once Cornell's season is over. Imo is a sure fire NHLer in that he will see time in the NHL at some point. What he does when he gets there who knows but the guy has really improved this year and how often do you see guys 6'5 220 that are very fast and very good skaters. He has toned down the physical game but boy can he crush people. With his speed he's able to catch most forwards in the NCAA, which gives him lots of chances to smash people. I spoke with his defensive coach during his freshman year and he said they really wanted Ryan to stop trying to run every guy into the boards cause it was taking him out of the play or putting him in the box too often. He still takes a lot of penalties but you can see he's really matured since he's now such a key figure for Cornell and their success.

Korneev from what I gather has struggled this year, had a couple injuries. I have no clue what the Habs will do with him. I've seen him a handful of times with AK Bars and both the junior and senior National team. I really like his game, very good stick checker, moves the puck well. He makes a lot of money in the RSL (350K) so for him to come over I don't think he would want to play in the AHL for the 50K or so he'd get but you never know. If he's not signed this summer we lose his rights, so it won't be too long before we know what the teams plans are for him.

Then again, if Korneev gets some guarantee that he will be with the big club for some time (though not necessarily dressed for games) so that he can partly earn the NHL's minimum salary (~500K) with of course at least the potential to make it, and later make a lot of money, he might be interested to cross over. One thing is for sure, now is probably the best time for him to come to North America; the NHL seems serious in his attempts to open up the game, and the Habs sure have room for a good offensive defenseman. If he waits any longer, he'll remain in the Russian Elite League for ever... which he might prefer for all I know.

Taking about the league's minimum, am I the only person in the world to believe that it was incredibly stupid for the league to raise to half a million? I couldn't care any less that guys like Forsberg, Jagr, Sakic, ... made huge money (ex. 11M). After all, they are the show, and they are the world's elite. However, to see guys like Ferland, Downey, Côté, Ivanans, ... make this much is just plain crazy.

I thought he played a good game yesterday..and he's not even on brassard's line 70 pts and 91mins in 44 games is fine with me.

14 goals in his last 9 games :clap:

Want to brush up on your french, here's an article on Mr Latendresse.

Bien encadré par les Voltigeurs, l'espoir du Tricolore a retrouvé ses moyens

Latendresse: «Ça roule bien ces temps-ci»

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20060305...5112/CPSPORTS01

Bonne chance.

Way to go Guillaume! I'd be surprised if he didn't make it with the big club next year. We could really use a player of his calibre and size.

I don't know if he'll play in mtl next year. there are players in hamilton who have a better shot at making the team.

I'd like to see him dominate in the q next year and show some consistency and have a great wjc tournament

the kid really turned the corner. I noticed the orther day that we drafted mike ribeiro at the same position (45th overall) in 1998...a sign ??

what I like about latendresse is his 95 pim wich means doesn't mind physical situations. should become an important asset in a few years

What I like about latendresse is his 95 pim wich means doesn't mind physical situations. should become an important asset in a few years

That's not always the case though. PIMs do not necessarily mean that a player is physical; it can also be a sign that a player lacks discipline, and that he's too lazy to make the extra effort (especially if he gets alot of hooking panalties). Take Kovalev for example : he has 940 PIMs in 899 games, but I wouldn't describe him to be a big physical presence on the ice.

Edited by CerebusClone

Well I am pretty sure Guillaume has already had more then his share of fights so far this year so I would say those PIMS are a good thing. But you are right CerebusClone PIM's can be a big negative when you look at a prospects stats as well.

• 4 weeks later...

he should play in game 7 tonight dispite concussion like symptoms.

drummondville's tryin' to become the 4th team in the Q to overcome a 0-3 deficit to win4-3 against gatineau.

GO drummond GO

didn't play and Drummondville lost, season over for Gui. Let him rest up a bit and work hard this summer at powerskating.

The positive thing in his case is that he finished the season very strong for Drummondville. He had his ups and downs this year, but in the last month, he was a monster, and he was the dominating player that he should have been all season long.

However, because he was so disappointing at the WJC, and because of his inconsistency problems, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him back in the juniors next season, especially with Kostsitsyn, Lapierre and perhaps even Chipchura (within a few months, if not right away) all ready to take the next step. Kostsitsyn must play in the NHL, and the other 2 are big, physical, and reliable 2-way players, the kind Gainey and Carbonneau will like. I doubt they'll spend that much time with the Bulldogs.

From hockeysfuture.com

But, while Latendresse may have enjoyed the early name value, Mathieu Aubin, a forward for the Lewiston MAINEiacs scored 45 goals and 53 assists in 69 games to take the unofficial Habs prospect scoring title in the QMJHL. Aubin, a fifth rounder in 2005 from Sorel, QC was tied for 17th overall in league scoring. The 19-year-old, who has remained relatively unheralded since his fifth-round selection in 2005, enjoyed a breakout season with the MAINEiacs, even being named to the top prospects game before having to pull out due to injury.

cant wait to see more of aubin... didn't know much of him before the start of the season.