Improving Without Giving Up Any Prospects

kw11habs

:hlogo: :hlogo: I've watched every habs game this year and what we need is a power forward and a top 4 d-man. I think they can be acquired without giving up any young prospects. First for defense I would go after Paul Mara and Denis Gauthier in Pheonix, offer Souray, Dandenault, Sundstrom & C. Locke. (possibly ask for S. Gainey also). Then trade Ryder (at 25 I don't consider him a young prospect) & Zednik to Edmonton for R. Torres & J.F Jacques. With Ryder's numbers he should be attractive, but he is to slow and to weak defensely. Torres is a year younger and ready to explode into a power forward. And J.F Jacques, well if anybody has watched the Bulldogs this year they should know he's going to be another power forward in the big time very shortly. The future would sure look bright with these 2 guys and Latendresse & Kostistin not far behind. Also, now that Theo's gone for awhile we can start either Huet or Danis and have a chance to win every game something we didn't have with Theo between the pipes. And C. Locke I don't consider a prospect for us because the last thing we need is another small centre. Mike Komisarek's physical game might really blossom watching D. Gauthier standing guys up every game.

Certainly interesting, the Phoenix trade COULD go down, especially seeing that Gretz has made no secret of how great a player he thinks Sundstrom is. However, I don't think Edmonton would trade both Torres AND Jacques for Zednik and Ryder. But what do I know, anything could happen.

I don't really see the forward trade helping Montreal out much right now, and I definitly don't like the thought of trading Ryder. I believe him to be very underrated and believe if he played with guys like Spezza, Thornton, Forsberg, Staal ect, he'd easily be a 40 goal man.

And I don't see the defenceman trade happening since Souray is the only decent player going back the other way....ie., I don't see Gretzky getting fleeced that badly in a deal.

I'm just not sure Montreal has what it takes to bring a legit power forward and a top defencman to town. Especially with every team in the league looking for the same thing, which drives up the price.

I still believe Montreal will stand pat and make no trades

I believe kaos is close here, but I think we will have one big addition by trade deadline, not a clue who it will be but someone BG likes that is under-achieving on a not making it team. Look who is UFA after this season on a non playoff team. They are all available. Same as it ever was, get something or nothing for them.

I see Leclair as maybe the best bet, and he could finish where he started, and with a cup win go out, 2 cups both in Montreal. I would love a chance to throw that one at my chum the Philly fan. Give them Locke, as all i read on him is another small center and I don't see space open for him, unless he is one of the few overly gifted ones. Big and gifted works, small must be overly gifted. Have to be all we give though, add Malkin and they will be a different team.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I think the best way to improve the team right now would be to wait for the UFAs in the off season... and possibly swing a trade involving either Theo, Sundstrom, Ribeiro, Dagenais, etc....

I still think a Rivet, Ribeiro and Sundstom or picks for Bell and Aucoin would be good.

Then try to sign Jokinen or Arnott, Selanne, Danny Markov, and Manny Fernandez this summer.

:hlogo:

jokinen would be the real price.

but he'll be more expansive than koivu. arnott would be a great 2nd center man and he'S also right handed but he has the reputation of not being the hardest worker.

Like you said, Jokinen will cost a lot of money, and I don't think he's all that good anyway. As for Arnott, he will be in demand, and unless he and Carbonneau/Gainey were great buddies in Dallas, I don't see incentive he would have to sign with Montreal.

I think that only leaves Briere, who might accept to sign here, being from Quebec. He would do well as a second linerm, and finally provide some secondary support for the Koivu line. As we have seen in the last playoffs, all the other team has to do is concentrate on the Koivu line; you do that, and you'll easily win.

Like you said, Jokinen will cost a lot of money, and I don't think he's all that good anyway. As for Arnott, he will be in demand, and unless he and Carbonneau/Gainey were great buddies in Dallas, I don't see incentive he would have to sign with Montreal.

I think that only leaves Briere, who might accept to sign here, being from Quebec. He would do well as a second linerm, and finally provide some secondary support for the Koivu line. As we have seen in the last playoffs, all the other team has to do is concentrate on the Koivu line; you do that, and you'll easily win.

I think Jokinen would definetly be our best player if he were to sign here and I would take him anytime, depending on the tag price. 5M$/year sounds good to me.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

I think Jokinen would definetly be our best player if he were to sign here and I would take him anytime, depending on the tag price. 5M$/year sounds good to me.

perhaps but do we have that much money to spend.

as of now, we haven't trade theodore therefore, we still have to pay him

we also have kovalev and koivu to pay.

Edited by marky_and_komi

5 mil might sound appropriate, but i wouldnt be surprised to see jokinen go higher. He could fit into the cap at that salary, even with theo, considering cap increase, but it would leave just about no room for anything else.