Should Koivu Get The Game Off?

CerebusClone

Personally, I don't think so. Yes, I'm sure he's a little exhausted with all the games and the plane rides (although it's a lot easier on your system to come back from Europe than to go there), but again, if there had been an extra game to win the Gold, I'm quite sure he would have had enough energy for it.

However, he shouldn't have to practice today or tomorrow, and Gainey should reduce his ice time. No penalty killing, a little less 5-5, and his regular shifts on the powerplay. That way, he still helps the team, but doesn't get overworked, and doesn't increase his risks of injury.

I once played a game with Jetlag and it wasn't pretty.

OK, I'm not a professional hockey player, I don't make a living playing this game.

Believe me, it wasn't pretty!

Koivu should be rested and given the night off.

I'm afraid that we shouldn't expect much from him in the stretch drive - he will be exhausted. emotionally and physically. Other players will have to step up. Since they probably won't (Ribeiro, Zednik, this means you, you pieces of [EXPLETIVE DELETED]) the odds are that Koivu will face even more pressure and that the team stands a decent chance of melting down.

Pessimistic? Who, me?

I agree w/ Cerebusclone... Give the well rested players a little more of his ice-time... The added benefit, is that Koivu might even have more jump that way...

I agree w/ Cerebusclone... Give the well rested players a little more of his ice-time... The added benefit, is that Koivu might even have more jump that way...

I think this should be Saku's call. He is the captain, we did just resign him to a 3 year extention, so we have to make it his choice. Now you can look at it from another point of view, The Habs pay his contract, and what if the Habs lose tomorrow and miss the playoffs by one point, what then?

Regardless, I think Saku knows his body best, and if he feels like a game off will benifit him, and the team for the rest of the season, I think you have to take his word for it.

If Koivu is such a great leader as all the Finns are claiming, then no doubt that he should dress tomorrow night.

Doesn't have to play much, mostly special units, but he should lead by example and be there.

Besides, the Habs pay is salary, including a very generous 3 year extension, so he should remind himself of who's paying is salary.

Like I said, he doesn't have to play much but no excuses for not dressing up.

Koivu will dress for sure tomorrow. I just dont believe he will play more then 13 or 14 mins. I will expect him to come out flying though. The best possible thing for the Canadiens would be if the Habs could leave the first period with a 3 or 4 goal lead so Koivu, Kovalev, Bulis, Markov and Zednik can all get some extra rest.

He should be in the lineup. His "vacation" is over,[so to speak] and now it's time to get back to work. Your employer [every NHL team] gave you this time off, now it's time to go back to work, since you're still under contract.........

ALL NHL players knew the deal going into the games.......

Should Koivu rest tomorrow night if he wants to? Absolutely yes!

He has a new contract as he deserves. Was been brilliant in the Olympics and has been a shining example as a captain of the Habs for last few years.

This guy has passion and heart for the sport he loves and needs the time to get himself right after giving it all to win a gold. Shame the Canadian team didn't have that heart.

As for that bum Riberio. He should get traded over to the English Football Premier League with all the other overpaid wingeing prats that have long forgotton what it means to play sport for a living.

Ask any player who played against Captain K at the Olympics whether he is a good leader. Get rid of the bad influences in Montreal and watch the team thrive.

I don't think he sould. Koivu said that he wanted some days off, if he plays he won't make his best.

Moreover... ok i know hockeyplayers are making millions each seasons... but Koivu is not a robot, he needs some rest sometime. It's not a disaster if he doesnt play agaisnt NYI, if the team plays hard, we can beat them for sure!! I prefer that he misses that game and plays very well all the others than if he's tired every next games...

GO :hlogo: GO !!

Actually, the NHL will benefit greatly from the Olympics, mostly because European teams had such great success. Success brings popularity, which brings fans, which brings kids taking up the sport. So in some years down the road, you're likely to see some Swiss prospects who got interested in the game because of Turino. And in the end, if the international talent pool improves, the NHL product improves.

Yes, the Habs are paying all those player's salaries, but they will get some long-term benefits out of it, a return on their investments.

And speaking of investments, the wisest move is to protect those investments from possible injuries or slumps caused by exhaustion and mental drain. Giving those guys the night off would be just like taking a few steps back to simply jump higher afterwards. Its not the playoffs (yet), so its not unreasonable to cut them a little slack now if it means getting them fresher, better and more focused later.

I think having professionals at the Olympics benefits hockey in general, but not necessarily the NHL itself (at least not on the short run) or even less team owners. Besides perhaps the Koivu might come back inspired, and get out of the slump he was in, George Gilett will gain absolutely nothing from having his players play in Torino. On the contrary, his 3 key players on the team might be exhausted (or even injured) by the end of the season, and that cold cost him a playoff round or even a spot for the playoffs.

As for the NHL, attendance will not increase. Canadian fans watch the game no matter what, Americans won't care any more than they did especially considering that their team could not even beat Latvia, and Euro fans still have their own leagues to care about. However, on the longer run, there are new potential markets to develop; just imagine how much money can be gained from the Asian markets. Also, hopefully, some countries like Switzerland could develop more and more players, and that could lead to more quality players in the NHL.

But again, the benefits are long term and for international hockey; right now, the Olympics have only brought problems.

He is the captain AND the leader. He has to be dressed to show an example of strength and determination. With that said, he should also take it easy to prevent burnout.

I am looking forward to tonight. Let's hope his short bursts on the ice are the motivation the Habs need. I need a winning streak. This last game, battling for a playoff spot is giving me ulcers.

He is the captain AND the leader. He has to be dressed to show an example of strength and determination. With that said, he should also take it easy to prevent burnout.

I am looking forward to tonight. Let's hope his short bursts on the ice are the motivation the Habs need. I need a winning streak. This last game, battling for a playoff spot is giving me ulcers.

Why not, plenty off players have taken the night off already this season, many more than once.

Zednik's been back for a few days, I believe he practiced with the team yesterday, so he should be ready to go, as is Mark Streit. I think most of the guys who lost their quarterfinal game came back home, except for the Canadians.

YEap!

let's hope the rest of the team gives an extra effort so they dont have to play 100% meaning if we had a good Lead! we could spare the silver Olympian of PK's and have him play less! What a time for Bonk to step up big time tonight! offensively speaking but I fear I might be spitting aty the wind!