Canucks Have Eye On Souray

riker

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/sp...f5-8dfa9c0fe5aa

Food for thought... I have to wonder what they think they mean by:

With three injured defencemen in Mattias Ohlund, Sami Salo and Ed Jovanovski -- four if a hairline foot fracture keeps Nolan Baumgartner sidelined tonight -- the latest rumour is Canuck interest in Montreal defenceman Sheldon Souray. The Canucks have been scouting the Canadiens, but Souray would come at a price.

"I've had no discussions," said Nonis.

Not only will Souray make US$2.24-million next season, the Canadiens will want a roster player in return, something Nonis is loathe to part with unless it's the right fit. But if the Canucks don't plan on re-signing Jovanovski, who becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer, they'll have to fill that void.

Wonder who they'd be interested?

Edited by riker

I'll take Bourdon, that won't hurt their roster this season, he he he :P

Seriously, there is always talk of Bertuzzi in Montreal, but i doubt that will happen; actually, I believe Bertuzzi will still be a Canuck in the playoffs. They won't want to trade any of their top 6 players, so that leaves guys like Kesler (that would be a nice return, but he's probably not available), Cooke, and Ruutu. Cooke and Ruutu would be nice, but I would rather keep Souray.

Edited by CerebusClone

Souray's name keeps surfacing here in Vancouver. But I can say without hesitation that a Souray-Bertuzzi move would be a stupid trade for the Habs. Betruzzi is an unreliable, unmotivated, expensive head case who has a lousy playoff record and has been living off one monster season. In fact, the only trusty thing about him is that he will self-destruct and hurt his team when it really counts (see his boneheaded offensive zone penalty in Turin, or the whole Steve Moore debacle).

Even so, he WOULD add some value to our 2nd line because of his size alone and his occasional stellar night; and maybe a change of scenery and Gainey's steady hand would bring him around a bit; so I'd consider dealing Souray (who is no superstar himself) for him IF we had other comparable d-men in the system. As much as I believe in Komi, he's shown none of the offensive flair or leadership qualities Souray brings. We should be trading to ACQUIRE a defenceman, not the reverse - deal a Zednik, say, and get a useful D-man back; and trust one of the rookies to replace Zeddy up front.

Bob, say it ain't so!!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Somehow I believe that Markov Krex Souray and Rivet can be the top four defenseman the Canadiens have been looking for all year with confidence in Cristobal these defenseman play better I honestly don’t know if the Canadiens need a defenseman. Just a month ago I would have agreed with you but with each passing game my views are changing.

Somehow I believe that Markov Krex Souray and Rivet can be the top four defenseman the Canadiens have been looking for all year with confidence in Cristobal these defenseman play better I honestly don’t know if the Canadiens need a defenseman. Just a month ago I would have agreed with you but with each passing game my views are changing.

I agree completely and I absolutely love Bouillon as a 5 or 6, I think he is very very solid, plays physical has great wheels and doesn't make many mistakes. I think personally dandenault is the only one I would ask for an upgrade on, but i'll admit he's been better of late. Another 2nd pairing calibre Dman to replace Dandy would be great for this team.

- sourray really has been playing good of late, Rivet has been great all year, he to me is looking like a heart and soul guy for this team right up there with Begin and Koivu.

and Markov his performance speaks for itself, i think he is a legitimiate nubmer 1.

That being said, I would like to see an upgrade on offence too.

And dont forget Coté!! plus Streit "reminded" us in the Olympics why he can be a 6th Dman and a spare part of a otherwise Offensive lacking D during the powerplays!

I like Souray but he has limited future in the new NHL

Bertuzzi for Souray I would take in a heart beat! Just for his size and speed and soft hands! Imagine what Carbonneau and Gainey could do to this guy!!!

were we not pondering Theo for Bert a month ago!

In any case Bertuzzi will still have trade value of more than 4 Mill after the playoffs (whatever his achievments) which can deal us another WestCoast Dman in the future!

Oh boy -- am I the only one who absolutely does not want Bertuzzi to put on a Habs uniform? Maybe I'm being too dramatic but I think he'd disgrace the CH.

Oh boy -- am I the only one who absolutely does not want Bertuzzi to put on a Habs uniform? Maybe I'm being too dramatic but I think he'd disgrace the CH.

Bertuzzi is the biggest asshole in the NHL on and off the ice. We do not want him in a Habs uniform.

T'as raison Jean-Luc. I wouldn't want to see him in a Habs jersey either. He may have all the skill in the world, I don't like the idea of Bertuzzi skating in a Habs uniform. In Bob I trust.

Bert is a blackeye for any team he plays for.

I still think he is very overrated, and likely a one hit wonder.

Don't get me wrong here; He is good, but not the star his past stats have suggested.

Bert has flashes of brilliance but has never met the expectations people made for him after his 02-03 seasons when he almost reached the 100-point plateau. If his price tag was a tad smaller then the 5+ million he is earning right now he might be an option but I don’t believe Montreal wants the shackles of another large payload.

Interesting note Todd was drafted 2 picks behind Koivu in 93.

Players throughout history have done much worse things than what Bertuzzi has done. Even the Rocket Richard on that infamous night that lead to his suspension had not only deliberately tried to hit a player in the face with his stick, but also attacked the referee that was trying to stop him from seriously hurting the other player. That's never stopped him from reaching an almost god-like status in the minds of many fans.

With that said, the player that Gainey should aim for is Luc Bourdon. That would not be easy, but the Canucks are in a position where they must win this year; after that, they will begin losing key players like Ed Jovanovski, and others will ask for a lot more money. If they feel they have a legitimate chance at winning the Cup, they might be willing to part with a prospect like Bourdon, if the price is right of course. Sheldon Souray would be a major boost with all the injuries they have; Souray also still lives off the hype of his one great month despite a full career as a marginal defenseman. It would take more to convince them(2nd round pick, a depth guy like Zednik for their 3rd line, whatever), Gaiuney might have a tiny chance...

It's worth the try; in 2-3 years we could end up with a top 6 like this:

Markov-Komisarek

Bourdon-Emelin

O'Byrne-Rivet

I could live with that... :D

The nucks imo have a bright future. The Sedin twins are still young and have beomce a consistent offensive threat on top of the fact they can play great shut down hockey. Naslund is only 33 I believe they have 3 or 4 pretty great prospects Bourdon, Bieksa and Koltsov and Schnider could very well beocme a great NHL goalie.

why in the world would the canucks want to trade bourdon?? unless they're really dumb!!

a souray tade to vancouver is possible..but not for bertuzzi..please!!

I think cooke would a great fit with begin..they'd get their opponents nuts and could kick leafs asses anytime...

ruutu would be a good player in mtl and it would give koivu a finnish mate. but it'd be expansive for a souray.

why in the world would the canucks want to trade bourdon?? unless they're really dumb!!

Like I said, that would be a long shot, but they wouldn't the first in history to trade away a very good prospect for a chance to win immediately. If they feel they have a real chance at the Cup, and are really desperate because of injuries, this might be a Gainey's only chance to land Bourdon. If we include another decent defense prospect in return (ex. Emelin, Korpikari), that might help.

All I'm saying if that there might be a tiny chance that this could happen... but if I'm Vancouver's GM, I would never do it. Although, at the beginning of the season, I also would have said that there is was chance that Boston would trade Joe Thornton away for only Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau...

Edited by CerebusClone

It's not 'what Bertuzzi has done,' i.e., the Moore debacle (although that was a disgrace). It's not even that he's an asshole, which he probably is. It's that he doesn't produce reliably, vanishes in the playoffs, and consistently hurts you with stupid penalties and/or suspensions at key times. He is not worth the price tag and is ridiculously overrated as a first-liner. That's all.

Now Bourdon, that's another story. B)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Well, Bertuzzi has averaged 1.04 points per game over the last 4 season, and by the end of the season, he will have averaged over 30 goals during these seasons. That's not too bad. As for the penalties, it's the cost of having such a big physical presence on the ice. When Bertuzzi jumps in, opposing players have to pay more attention to him, leaving more room for his teammates. It's the same for Thornton, Tkachuk, Chara, ... as it was for guys like Lindros and Neely. I prefer Bertuzzi taking a penalty for crushing a guy in the boards, than Bulis hooking Marco Sturm (who weights less than 200lbs by the way) because he was scared to take a hit fronm him.

Also, this is the NHL, not the Olympics. Half of his penalties in Torino were for things like standing on the goalie's zone, which wouldn't be called here.

Montreal could use Bertuzzi... or Tkachuk for that matter. One thing is certain, if Bertuzzi comes to Montreal, and starts playing like the bulldozer he was before the Moore incident, fans will quickly forget all about it, and cheer very loudy every time he jumps on the ice.

What makes Korpikari a "decent" prospect? Wasn't he drafted in the 6th round or something? :huh:

You can't just assume that teams want our scrubs.

If Korpikari ever gets the chance, he will probably be an NHLer. He'll never "wow" anyone with his skills, but he's big and very reliable in his own end. There's always a niche for these guys a 6th or 7th defenseman, unless he prefers staying in Europe, and play a bigger role on his team.

If we were to trade a young defenseman, I would just rather see Korpikari go rather than O'Byrne or Emelin. Or they might show some interest in Andrew Archer, who most probably would have be called up before Côté had he not be injured.

But again, I wouldn't trade Bourdon if I were the Canucks' GM so he probably won't either. He was just talking about the crazy demands from other GMs were for their available players; I'm guessing that meant Bourdon.

Well, Bertuzzi has averaged 1.04 points per game over the last 4 season, and by the end of the season, he will have averaged over 30 goals during these seasons. That's not too bad. As for the penalties, it's the cost of having such a big physical presence on the ice. When Bertuzzi jumps in, opposing players have to pay more attention to him, leaving more room for his teammates. It's the same for Thornton, Tkachuk, Chara, ... as it was for guys like Lindros and Neely. I prefer Bertuzzi taking a penalty for crushing a guy in the boards, than Bulis hooking Marco Sturm (who weights less than 200lbs by the way) because he was scared to take a hit fronm him.

Also, this is the NHL, not the Olympics. Half of his penalties in Torino were for things like standing on the goalie's zone, which wouldn't be called here.

Montreal could use Bertuzzi... or Tkachuk for that matter. One thing is certain, if Bertuzzi comes to Montreal, and starts playing like the bulldozer he was before the Moore incident, fans will quickly forget all about it, and cheer very loudy every time he jumps on the ice.

I dont mind getting Bertuzzi or Thachuk. However, it should be noted that these 2 are in the decline of their careers. I would not trade Souray for either one. Zednik for either one maybe. I think the Habs could use another rugged defenceman in the over 6 feet category that can play 10 minutes a game. Dandenault and Bouillon are not cutting it and I think our 5th and 6th defenceman should be Streit and a rugged big D. Dandenault should be put on 4th line as a checker. Bouillon is a 7th D.

Nonis said it was a No show for Souray!! he says whats out there stinks too much and that to get what they really need they gotta lose too much for!