Baseball!

simonus

forget that WBC, spring training is on!

Every year I forget how much I love the baseball. Of course it's hockey time right now, but spring training comes as a reminder of what summer is all about.

What do people think about the upcoming season?

Should be very interesting to hear all the debates and critism about Barry Bonds as he ccatches with Ruth and Aaron. Not matter all the controversy, Bonds remains of the greatest players of all times.

It still follow the Nationals; there are still a lot of the players I liked when they were Expos, players like Vidro, Cordero, Hernandez, Patterson (non one seems to notice that his stats were all-star caliber last season), and so forth. Starters might be a problem, but relief pitching and offense are decent. If Zimmerman develops well, Soriano learns to take a walk, and Guzman doesn't have another mediocre season, they'll have a good season.

Oh, did anyone notice that Miguel Cabrera, one of the best hitters in the majors over the last 2 seasons, accepted a contract for less than 500K? What an amazing bargain!

Yeah, my jaw dropped when I saw that Cabrera deal.

Should be interesting to see how the beloved Bo Sox do. Pretty much overhauled the entire team (for the better, I think)

I really like Loretta and Lowell. Crisp and Beckett are really good additions as well.

And Johnny Damon can go die. Asshole.

Hmm, baseball doesn't get interesting until October. Although I'm not a Rockies fan, I'll be there for opening day...the only day of the year Coors Field is sold out. Lots of fun to be downtown on a nice afternoon skippin' out of work!

What's weird is that I used to be the biggest Yankee hater alive, but after the past couple of seasons (especially after having to deal with the horrid Boston fans/media) I'm slowly coming around. If it's in fashion to be against the Yanks, I'll root for them. Haha.

What's weird is that I used to be the biggest Yankee hater alive, but after the past couple of seasons (especially after having to deal with the horrid Boston fans/media) I'm slowly coming around. If it's in fashion to be against the Yanks, I'll root for them. Haha.

However tempting the dark side may be, do not let yourself go down that road! It leads to a dirty place.

However tempting the dark side may be, do not let yourself go down that road! It leads to a dirty place.

To be quite honest, I won't root for them. But they have leap frogged the Sox as my least favorite team. I'm an NL guy, anyway.

not a big fan of MLB anymore but any world competition I get compelled to follow and this WBC I wont actually watch but for a couple of teams and the rest on the recaps on tsn sportsnet etc...

Adam Stern has totally taken over as my new favourite baseball player. It helps that he plays for Boston already. =P

pretty much.. he is Gabe Kapler 2.0

great 4th OF option... maybe he will end the season platooning with Nixon?

• 2 weeks later...

Wily Mo Pena is highly overated. His average sucks, his defense is the worst I've ever seen from a major leaguer, and his speed doesn't help make up for his poor baserunning.

All he has is strength and power. I'm glad they traded him, but all it does it make the Sean Casey trade even dumber. Casey has been the best player on the Reds for a number of years, and they traded him for a crappy pitcher to make room for Pena. But then they trade Pena. Ugh, idiots are running this team.

I don't know, Arroyo has always been decent at best and really streaky. I've been a huge fan of his but I'll admit, he's not great. Any team could of taken advantage of our rotation considering it's stacked and offered less.

Comparing the two guys, I think Cincy got ripped. I think Pena will do wonders in Boston.

pena comes in as Nixon's platoon partner. WMP has a great split against LHP and that should do him well. Also, he is a RH pull hitter, which should give him a better average at Fenway.

He is very young and has a lot of maturing to do and over the last half of 2005, the dominican winter league, and the WBC he really has begun to show patience at the plate, resulting in something around .450 OBP in DWL and WBC.

Over the last ~650 ABs, the guy has hit 45 HRs... not bad. He can be bled into the lineup considering the presence of Nixon, Juan Gone and even Adam Stern... Big power hitting corner outfielders often start hitting their stride in their latter 20's and I wouldnt be surprised to see him improve in boston with his fellow Dominican Ortiz and also with Ramirez (not a bad guy to learn ABs from... but maybe have Coco show him fielding).

The Red Sox are doing well to reload and Arroyo is projecting to decline (look at his velocity, K rate, etc...). Also, we have quite a lot of pitching and a good deal of pitching in the pipeline (e.g. Papelbon, Lester, Hanson, Alvarez, DiNardo, etc...)

All together, good trade.

2 weeks until the Jays home opener and im getting pretty pumped. I feel like I'm ready to move on after the loss of the Spos.

What makes it sweeter is that i pretty much have a ticket to every single Jays game. The Toronto Star runs a promotion called the Jays Season Pass, and for 81 bucks (a buck a game) i am able to get a 500 level ticket for all 81 home games.

Burnett had to leave early from his last start but it doesn't look like it is too serious. We should finally see a three horse race in the east this season...