Baseball!

simonus

What makes it sweeter is that i pretty much have a ticket to every single Jays game. The Toronto Star runs a promotion called the Jays Season Pass, and for 81 bucks (a buck a game) i am able to get a 500 level ticket for all 81 home games.

that is insane!

Here is the first shoe?

Red Sox claim Hee-Seop Choi off waivers. Choi is set to make ~$750,000 this season

AVG = .253

OBP = .336

SLG = .453

HR = 15

RBI = 42

All this in only 320 at-bats...

From Sons of Sam Horn:

"Love [this acquisition] though. I would buy it dinner, and then make sweet baseball love to it and then call it the next day if it was so inclined. Might wait until Tuesday or Wednesday"

• 2 weeks later...

Well the season kicks off today with the Indians and White Sox. Anyone got any predictions on who is going to be playing in October?

AL East: Yankees

AL Central: White Sox

AL West: Angels

AL Wildcard: Blue Jays (homer pick for sure, but we have an outside shot)

NL East: Braves (tempted to go with the Mets, but the Braves always find a way to win the division, and then choke in the playoffs)

NL Central: Cardinals

NL West: Dodgers (What a weak division, i think about 7 teams in the AL would be able to win this one)

NL Wildcard: Mets

Baseball?

The sport where fat guys can actually get employment standing around at first base or tossing balls at a guy with a stick? They still play this game?

Seriously everyone, get outside. ENJOY the summer.

*snickers* ...baseball... lol

Baseball?

The sport where fat guys can actually get employment standing around at first base or tossing balls at a guy with a stick? They still play this game?

Seriously everyone, get outside. ENJOY the summer.

*snickers* ...baseball... lol

I WILL enjoy my summer...

...by playing baseball.

is this guy kinda dumb?

"None of the dry cleaners were open, they were all at the game, Japan and Korea, so we couldn't get any dry cleaning done out there, but I guess the neatest thing is that 50,000 of them were at Anaheim Stadium." - Roger Clemens

Devil Rays will in 75+ games you heard it here first go rays

They still have no pitching. Scott Kazmir is the closest thing they have, and he just can't seem to put it all together. They should score some runs, but I still don't see this team winning 75 games yet.

What a batting lineup for the Yanks! I'm trying to picture a young rookie, pitching in his fisrt MLB start against a healthy Yankees linuep:

The first batter you are facing in the MLB is Johnny Damon...

Then, it's Derek Jeter...

Then it's a still very productive and powerful Hall of famer, Gary Sheffield...

Then you have to face perhaps the best player in the majors, Mr. 250 millions, A-Rod...

Then, when you think you went through the worst part, Jason Giambi comes to the plate...

Followed by Godzilla, Hideki Matsui...

Ah, finally the bottom 3... but Jorge Posada is up, and he can get very hot at times...

Then your best chance for a break... Bernie Williams, who could very well come back with a big season

Finally, Robinson Cano, who had a very respectable rookie season

And, it's back to Damon...

And that's just until they trade Cano away for Jose Vidro from the Nationals!

And then their crappy pitching gives up even more runs then they can score and Boston walks away with the divsion while Toronto grabs the Wild Card.

:D

I was talking on paper. Some of these (Giambi) will miss many games, and some of them (Posada and Williams) will go through major slumps over the season. As for the pitching, it's the same. On paper, Johnson, Mussina, and Pavano form a great trio of starters. Sophomore Chien-Ming Wang would in theory continue to progress, and be really great number 4 guy. And career nobody Aaron Small would prove that he's not a fluke.

However, again, Johnson will probably be injured, and if he's not, age is creeping up on him anyway. He's still a very good pitcher, probably better at his age than Livan Hernandez ever will be, but he's slowing down. Mussina is the safest bet on the team. You never know what to expect from Pavano, that's when he's not injured­. And who knows what to expect from the other 2? At least they have Chacon, who should do well in my opinion (forget about his numbers with Colorado), and Jarret could make up for his terrible start with the Yankees.

Their bullpen however should be fine, especially once Dotel comes back.

I would love for Toronto for make the playoffs, and they do have a decent roster, but they have some very young players, and very little depth. Unfortunately, like it was for the Expos back then, depth is very important in baseball, and they won't have much room on their budget for replace key injured players when that happens... and it always does.

Holy crap, you gave one sentence a three paragraph response.

I was just making a typical Yankee hating joke since I'm a Red Sox fan.

Good post though although I'd disagree on Moose. He's been on the decline the past few years and I don't think this year will be any different. I don't think we'll see the same Unit this year either, his body is starting to wear on him. And like you said, you never know what to expect out of Pavano. I still think that was a ridiculous signing (although it could probably be related to our signing of Clement).

I will give them their bullpen though. It's sick and no one can deny that.