Canes' Cole To Miss At Least 6-8 Weeks

mathieu30

It's always tough when someone gets hurt.

Canes' GM Jim Rutherford announced today that Erik Cole (60GP-30G-30A) has a compression fracture in a vertebra in his neck and is expected to miss at least the remainder of the regular season.

Cole sustained the injury when he was boarded from behind by the Pens' Brooks Orpik with 5:18 left in a 7-5 Hurricanes’ win over Pittsburgh.

Add him to the list of impact players out...

Eric Lindros (TOR)

&

Dominik Hasek (OTT)

That's 3 guys who's first name ends w/ an "IK" sound. Conspiracy anyone?

Maybe Henrik Sedin is next. Remember, you heard it here first!

A serious blow to me getting into the top half of my fantasy league.

This is another example of what is wrong with the new NHL.

Orpik runs Cole into the boards, likely breaking his arm. Retaliation? A mere roughing penalty by Bret Hedican. What happened to the days when you dropped the gloves to stand up for a teammate, especially one of your best players? The new NHL is detracting from that sort of thing it seems like.

I think that when a player hurts someone like that, when it is an obvious infraction, that the offending player should be responsible for all costs for the rehabilitation of the player, and they should give a certain percentage of their remaining pay to the Players Association for the length of time that the player is injured.

In situations like Moore and Bertuzzi, when it is not clear about when he got injured, because of the ensuing pile up, the player should maybe only have to pay the medical bills.

If there can't be any protection, then the league should protect the players by properly enforcing the rules, and by making it less attractive personally for any aggressive players who maliciously attempt to injure.

Perezoghin would have had to pay for the guy who he hit with his stick's bills.

Add him to the list of impact players out...

Eric Lindros (TOR)

&

Dominik Hasek (OTT)

That's 3 guys who's first name ends w/ an "IK" sound. Conspiracy anyone?

Maybe Henrik Sedin is next. Remember, you heard it here first!

how about rick zednik?

I hope cole's fine

isn't it the same injury that savage had in LA few years ago ??

at least, he shouldn't be around if we play the canes in the first round...what a pain in the ass hwen he plays against us.

anyway...fast recovery erik

This is another example of what is wrong with the new NHL.

Orpik runs Cole into the boards, likely breaking his arm. Retaliation? A mere roughing penalty by Bret Hedican. What happened to the days when you dropped the gloves to stand up for a teammate, especially one of your best players? The new NHL is detracting from that sort of thing it seems like.

Orpik was doing his job, Cole turned away from the hit and made it worse.

In this case, what you'd want is a bunch of players hopping the boards to beat the shit out of a guy who wasn't at fault, just because the fallen player's a star. (A star that doesn't seem to know how or want to take a hit.)

Edited by Trizzak

I didn't see the hit, but boarding or hitting from behind should be a penalty. Checkers should also be carefull that their target doesn't turn to avoid the hit. The onus should be on the checker to make sure his hit is clean.

But I agree, employing goons to defend your best players either. The rules and referees should be doing this, as well as a players own self-constraint.