Leaf Fire Sale

Peter Puck

Many people have suggested that the Leafs might start unloading players if we beat them Tuesday night.

So I had a look at their roster to see what they might do. They won't be selling much.

They only have 9 players signed for next year.

Player Position Salary(vs cap) age status

Sundin C 6,333,333 35 Signed(2 more years then UFA)

Belfour G 4,522,000 40 Signed(option next year)

Kaberle D 3,921,667 28 Signed (5 more years then UFA)

Tucker RW 1,596,000 30 Signed(1 more year then UFA)

O'Neill RW 1,500,000 30 Signed(1 more year then UFA)

Domi RW 1,250,000 37 Signed(1 more year then UFA)

Steen C 786,667 22 Signed(2 more years then RFA)

Belak RW 720,000 30 Signed(1 more year then UFA)

Ponikarovsky LW 712,500 35 Signed(1 more year then RFA)

Sundin and Belfour are overpaid and have no trade clauses. I don't think they are going anywhere.

Kaberle, Steen and Tucker are the only three of the others that anyone would want. No point in

trading Steen (he's only 22). They just signed Kaberle to a 5yr contract for almost 20 million, they

propbably want to keep him.

They have 9 players who will become UFA's at the end of the season:

Player Position Salary(vs cap) age status

Czerkawski RW 500,000 34 UFA

Kilger LW 475,000 29 UFA

Wilm C 450,000 29 UFA

Lindros C 1,550,000 33 UFA

McCabe D 3,458,000 30 UFA

Klee D 1,900,000 35 UFA

Allison C 1,500,000 30 UFA

Khavanov D 1,250,000 34 UFA

Berg D 1,064,000 37 UFA

Nothing here of any value except McCabe. But how much is he worth as a rental?

They also have 5 players who will be RFA's at season's end:

Player Posion Salary(vs cap) age status

Antropov C 1,007,000 26 RFA

Colaiacovo D 858,800 23 RFA

Stajan C 805,600 22 RFA

Wozniewski D 450,000 29 RFA

Tellqvist G 450,000 36 RFA

The only guys here with value are young enough that the Leafs will want to keep them.

The only guys I can see them unloading are: Tucker, and possibly Antropov or Ponikarovsky.

Wow that's a nice breakdown.

Rumors going around that McCabe might be gone but the Leafs are in a delicate situation when it comes to defense. McCabe is their best defensive player point wise but then again he has a terrible plus-minus rating. Aside being an important piece to the Leaf's powerplay I wonder if the Leafs are serious about him.

This seems to be his best season yet and he would have a significant value in the trade market and a good chance for the Leafs to rack up on prospects and draft picks they so desperately need since Pat Quinn unloaded most of them for veterans when he was their General Manager.

Not to mention that John Ferguson Jr knows that unless the Leafs make the playoffs, he's most likely getting fired. So he knows he needs to shake up the Leafs whether by making trades at the deadline or firing Quinn which has been a huge rumor lately.

Well I don’t believe that Belfour's option will be picked up by the Leafs. I also don't know if he will be traded because he has a no trade clause and for him to waive it I am sure he would want that option picked up before he is dealt.

I agree with simonus in Allison being moved he has remained healthy this season playing in 56 games and has great hands. His major down side is his speed he must be one of the slowest players in the league but could be a good pick up for a team with speed to burn.

Belfour has said he'd welcome a trade as long as the team picked up his option for next season. I really won't be surprised if Edmonton gets him, he can't possibly bring in a huge return.

I've read on a couple sites too that McCabe will be moved before Wednesday. Although one of them was Eklund so we'll see how credible that is =P. As long as it isn't the Avs. I keep seeing them mentioned with McCabe and he's the last guy we need. We have Blake and Liles already, let's get someone who can play defense. Tucker I wouldn't mind though.

You didn't list Wellwood or Kronwall anywhere. Anyways, the Leafs badly need a firesale but it's too late, they have no one to sell. Thanks to some horrible GMing, the Leafs are completely out of the Stanley Cup picture for atleast 5 years. ANd that's only if they follow in the Rangers' footsteps and start rebuilding.

Belfour has said he'd welcome a trade as long as the team picked up his option for next season. I really won't be surprised if Edmonton gets him, he can't possibly bring in a huge return.

I've read on a couple sites too that McCabe will be moved before Wednesday. Although one of them was Eklund so we'll see how credible that is =P. As long as it isn't the Avs. I keep seeing them mentioned with McCabe and he's the last guy we need. We have Blake and Liles already, let's get someone who can play defense. Tucker I wouldn't mind though.

I'd love a guy like tucker for the playoffs..but there's no chance that the leafs trade anybody to montreal before the end of the season

I'd love a guy like tucker for the playoffs..but there's no chance that the leafs trade anybody to montreal before the end of the season

Yeah, I think Tucker might be the only one who can net some decent return for the Laffs. A package of him and Klee would suit the Avs IMO. But the current state of Toronto should teach owners to NEVER EVER let Quinn be the GM of your team. NEVER. JFJ (while not much better) is gonna take the heat for Quinn's stupid moves.

never like quinn as a coach nor as a GM..he's the one who bust this team out..JFJ should not take all the heat...let hm put his paw on his team then we'll be able to judge

Well, he signed Allison, Czerkawski, Khavanov and Lindros. And acquired O'Neill. So he has molded this team, getting rid of guys like Roberts, Mogilny, Leetch and Nieuwendyk for them.

Lindros has been what everyone expected: 30 decent games, that's it.

Allison actually made a good comeback and has 50pts already this season, so he's done well. The Toronto media seem to hate him though, as do the fans because he's such a slow skater. And his big bonus (4mil +)will rack up the cap next season.

O'Neill's been mediocre, not top-six material. A disappointment but he's had a tough time including the passing of his brother in the offseason. He's also signed for next yr.

Khavanov's been mediocre as well, but a reasonable sixth defenseman.

Czerkawski just got waived again.

In terms of how little cap room he had to work with, it wasn't bad. But he didn't do the job either. In my opinion it comes down to this: should the Leafs have kept Mogilny over the combined contracts of O'Neill and Lindros? I'd say, yes. Sundin's struggles come down to having no winger. Almo's still got the goods, whether the Devils want him to rot in the minors or not.

Edited by smon

if they accept to trade steen to us... i'd say sure - kid's got lots of potential. (of coursethat depends on what we give to them...)

I dont think JFJ will do any trades, because that will mean he has been wrong. :lol: Besides, I dont think he has enough intelligence to, and the Leafs are proably better off that he doesnt trade anyone.

IMO, JFJ should be fired!! It's not like it wasnt his decision on who to buy out, or not. It definitely was, and he fux0rd it!! Keeping Belfour, McCabe and Krabopoly whose contracts along with Sundins ate 1/2 of the cap was just dumb. JFJ was the 1 who insulted Roberts and Nieuwendyk with outrageously low offers, only 1 mil each/yr for 2 years. :blink: And the Leafs were shocked they didnt accept them. :wacko: JFJ was also the dumbass who resigned Kerbopoly to a rediculously high multi year prolonged suffering contract.

McCabe should be traded ASAP, as he isnt likely to be back. McCabe's head seems to be highly inflated, and is seeking a 5 yr 25mil deal, like Sergi Gonchars contract. Pitts regrets Gonchar, and I dont think too many teams will be dumb enough to meet McCabes demands, but there is always 1 team stupid enough to do anything.

Belfour should be dealt to Edmonton, but his demand for a team to pick up his contract makes getting him fiscally irresponsible, so it isnt likely to happen.

Tucker: If the Leafs move him, they are ######ed. Sure, his value is up right now, but his price is extremely low. They would be brain dead to trade a 40 goal scorer who gets paid 1.6 mil because it would be impossible to replace him at the same price.

if they accept to trade steen to us... i'd say sure - kid's got lots of potential. (of coursethat depends on what we give to them...)

john kordik maybe :lol:

Edited by marky_and_komi

Czerkawski just got waived again.

and got picked up by boston :lol:

some teams never learn

I guess it's the end on samsonov