Michael Ryder

Nilan25

Much as I love Ryder his play has really tailed off of late. Last night, he fought the puck all night and was terrible defensively. Maybe he needs to make his game a little more simple. Any ideas on linemates that would work for him. He does not seem to be fed very much.

Relax, he is fine. He is tired just like the rest. He doesn't have the natural talent like Kovalev, who can look good any night. Ryder needs his linemates to do alot of the work and set him up. Higgins is doing the scoring on this line right now. He is also pretty streaky.

thats the biddest thing with ryder, his not getting the puck in the slot right now and when montreal finds someone to get him the puck then look out. ryder with k and k is the best line we have but we dont have the players to make that our top line.

YEah this whole team is tired. But they better get used to it. They'll be playing just about every other night down the stretch, and alot of 3 games in 4 nights type thing they just completed. Unfortunatley I think Gainey is going to have to start giving guys nights off, starting with Huet. Danis needs a start before Huet is wiped out

I mentioned RELAX....in the game thread. Ryder always looks quirky out there, the pucks just seem to go in for him usually. He'll be back. He almost scored a couple of times last night......belfour robbed him....nothing you can do about that except keep plugging away.....

He still managed 4 shots even though he only played what, like 10 minutes last night. Geez, were we short-handed for the entire game.

Please no trade Ryder threads.....He is our only probable 30 + goal man........

I think he can give more than we've seen so far this year

hope they don't trade him unless it's for pittsburgh's 1st round pick. he's our only pure goal scorer

Edited by marky_and_komi

I think he can give more than we've seen so far this year

Hey this guy gave alot. He had to play with Dagenais and Ribeiro for like a quarter of the year. Kovalev needs to look for Ryder more in the slot more, he's usually there with the stick cocked ready to loose another volley

Just to point out that Ryder has tailed off playing with Koivu. Kovalev picked up with Riberio (and vice versus).

I just don't think Koivu has played that great lately and that really hurts Ryder, who as people said needs to be setup. Ribs and Ryder clicked well because Ribs and him have played so much together.

I have always had the view that Ryder rarely makes a goal happen, he is the guy who buries it. Ribs rarely shot and was always looking to setup someone, hence he worked well with Ryder and Dags. Koivu has a totally different style of play then Ribs, he passes from different areas, he goes to the net more, etc. It will take Ryder time to learn where to be for Koivu's style, versus where to be for Ribs' style of play.

When Koivu picks up his game (he needs some rest) and Ryder and him get more comfortable with each other, I suspect things will improve for both. I also see Kovy and Ribs getting more use to each other and they seem to be playing much better lately.

Yes, the current lines make this team alot more balanced. 3 lines who can score or atleast play in the other teams zone for a period of time. Pleks injury may be a key one depending on how long he is out. I don't like Bonk on that line too slow. I would put Murray between Bulis and Zednick, more speed.

Just to point out that Ryder has tailed off playing with Koivu. Kovalev picked up with Riberio (and vice versus).

I just don't think Koivu has played that great lately and that really hurts Ryder, who as people said needs to be setup.

still when one of your line mates struggles you need to put a better effort and make things happen...

ryder has alot of talent..I,d just like to see him work a bit harder

I've said it before and i'll say it again, I like Ryder because he scores but other than that he is completely useless, he is not fast, he cannot create his own opportunities and he goes into these slumps for long times where he is completely invisible. Blame Koivu all you want, but Higgins and Koivu are putting up points, and when they aren't they are still around the puck and still getting back on D.

I would have no problem dealing Ryder as long as we're getting another young scorer back. For example a deal with the Oilers that would send us Raffi Torres and a Dman i would do in a second.

An example of what is so frustrating about Ryder was last night, he came out of the box after taking a bad penalty got a breakaway pass and completely missed it....He seems like unless he's one timing something he can't do anything else with the puck. Hopefully he'll improve or we'll trade him.

still when one of your line mates struggles you need to put a better effort and make things happen...

ryder has alot of talent..I,d just like to see him work a bit harder

I won't argue with you there.

Frankly, Ryder has not looked great all year when you take his game as a whole. His shot is there and when he gets that perfect pass he can score. However, his passing sucks, his effort sucks, etc.

Is it just a coincidence that Ribs line has been better defensively since Ryder moved up, while Koivu's line has done worse then before. Perhaps Carbo needs to work on Ryder when he is done beating defensive awareness into Ribs. :)

Come on people, Ryder does put a good effort in most nights, he just isn't a good skater so he looks like he isn't trying. Oh and by the way he is the leading goal scorer on this team while playing with numerous centers and LW's. As for Ribiero, i could play with Kovalev and Perez and look good. Kovalev on most nights takes the puck out of the zone himself, and controls the puck in the offensive zone for long periods of time. Therefore this line spends less time in the D zone. I don't think Ribiero has improved defensively. Although i will say his work ethic has improved lately.

Come on people, Ryder does put a good effort in most nights, he just isn't a good skater so he looks like he isn't trying. Oh and by the way he is the leading goal scorer on this team while playing with numerous centers and LW's. As for Ribiero, i could play with Kovalev and Perez and look good. Kovalev on most nights takes the puck out of the zone himself, and controls the puck in the offensive zone for long periods of time. Therefore this line spends less time in the D zone. I don't think Ribiero has improved defensively. Although i will say his work ethic has improved lately.

If you watch carefully, Ribs has been the first guy coming back to help the D, supports them down low, and has been taking the slot. This is a great improvement for him, even if it has lowered his offensive production somewhat. He is also not over committing so much in the offensive zone and getting caught too deep when they don't really have control.

Yes, the current lines make this team alot more balanced. 3 lines who can score or atleast play in the other teams zone for a period of time. Pleks injury may be a key one depending on how long he is out. I don't like Bonk on that line too slow. I would put Murray between Bulis and Zednick, more speed.

I am assuming he will be back very soon since he warmed up with the team before the game and was only scratched at the last minute.

Ryder's a real goal scorer. Not much in terms of visible eye popping talent but he figures out how to score goals in bunches in the NHL. Plenty of guys just can't find that touch, he can and that ensures he'll be a highly paid NHLer for years to come.

Ryder's a real goal scorer. Not much in terms of visible eye popping talent but he figures out how to score goals in bunches in the NHL. Plenty of guys just can't find that touch, he can and that ensures he'll be a highly paid NHLer for years to come.

He's a RFA this summer, how much would you give him?

I don't think he's worth any more than $2M at this point....If he asks for anything more than that I would trade him. IN fact, i probably wouldn't give him more than 1.5M.

All pure goal scorers are streaky. And few pure goal scorers do much more than score goals. Ryder is in the classic mould and is waaaaaayyy to valuable to trade. We've waited years for the Habs to finally produce a real trigger man, and if Ryder isn't that yet, he's close. Just ride out the slump, he'll be fine.

I didn't read the thread so it's possible smoenoe said this already but I'd like to see Ribeiro and Ryder back together on the 2nd. A fast winger like Perezhogin might help them out. Or even Zednik who's hot, fast, physical and extremely strong. The combination might start clicking again.

I'd be willing to pay Ryder $2 Million or more for next year. He's going to be a 30 goal man and there are players on this team, and around the league being paid more for doing less. I'd think $2.5 Would be the limit though

I'd be willing to pay Ryder $2 Million or more for next year. He's going to be a 30 goal man and there are players on this team, and around the league being paid more for doing less. I'd think $2.5 Would be the limit though. Having said that I'd like to see him rewarded with a 3 year contract or so.

I've noticed that lately on the powerplay, Ryder has been playing along the goal line more as opposed to the faceoff circles and the slot, where he had a better angle to get the one-timer off.

And as far as streaky goal-scorers are concerned, how long did Brain Savage stick around in Montreal, and he couldn't score after Thanksgiving.

Edited by RobRock

Ryder was looking for 2 mill per year in a long-term deal if I am not mistaken. Depending on the end result to this season I could see him even asking for more than that. But 2 mill seems fair to me.

That said I would like to see one of two things from Ryder next season.

1. Become a more prolific goal scorer. (score 50 goals next year)

2. Become a more solid all around player while producing 30+ goals.

Ryder is Dags with better speed, more intelligence, and somewhat better defensive play.

In other words, while both have the main asset of a great shot (Dags might be a better shot), Ryder brings a lot more to the table then Dags.

I am not sure Ryder will ever be more then a younger Zednik type player. ie. 20 to 30 goals a season. I don't see him being a 50 goal scorer, he doesn't have to tools to do that (see his breakaway prowess).

That said, he is a valuable asset and we need guys who can reliablely score up to 30 goals a season. Two million a year seems fair to me for that kind of performance.