Theo Traded To Colorado

gohabsgo252006

The most idiotic move the Habs could do is go out and get a true #1 starter. Gainey would be fired if he wasted the cap space on that. Since Gainey's IQ is higher than 7 he'll use the cap space on a skater (most likely a firstline forward) and we'll be a contender. We're so deep in net that we don't need a goalie and most importantly we have a strong tandem now.

And Theodore isn't our best player. He's MUCH closer to being our worst player. Now he's the Avs' worst player.

Far from it.

We have Brisebois and May.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not huge problems. I still think Vaananen is worse but he's injured so he doesn't count.

But uhh....yeah. Brisebois has gone back to his mediocre ways after a strong start.

That is soooo good to hear....I think I speak for Habnation when we say TOLD YOU SO.....

SO whats the Colorado equivalent to Breez-by?

Ok, we saved cap, got a goalie who can play right now, but we just lost our best player, hands down, everyplayer has a bad year, this was theodores. big deal he is stil in my mind top 3 in the league!!

Colorado just set themselves up. ok you guys say we saved money, but now we have to go out and get ourselves a number on goalie, this team is only as good as its goaltending right? well huet and abby aint going to do it for like 4 years before price hopefully can step in, that mean we will have to spend some dough on a very good goaltender....i dont like the move, there had to of been a better goaltender to get straight up for him.....i would have rather got garon back, maybe even a younger goalie prospect.

Poor redlight I think everyone has replied to your post :)

Lucky for us Lacroix still believes a team is better off with a 1a/franchise Goalie that will play 70 games a year!

yet we all know that the New NHL wont allow for that for at least a few more years! As the Cap goes up "slowly" and the gear keeps at this current size there is less and less prob. that a Goalie will steal a playoff ! mark my words I woudn't be surprised the goalies in the future share periods during a game ( maybe next decade !!)

Edited by CoRvInA

Back on the title topic. I've just read the 'Theodore dealt to the Avs' article. The stats given on Aebischer are quite encourging. I've included a shortened version of the stats.

Aebischer's career stats:

Regular Season:

Year... GAA... Sv%

03-04 2.09 .924

02-03 2.43 .916

01-02 1.88 .931

00-01 2.24 .903

Total.. 2.35 .915

Playoffs:

Year... GAA... Sv%

03-04 2.08 .922

01-02 1.76 .929

Total.. 2.07 .922

These are averages and percentages certainly not to be disdained.

Gainey did his homework.

Yes, it's possible that Théodore will find his winning ways again in Colorado but that doesn't mean that he would have in Montreal.

Nope... this is a very good trade.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

another plus is that he's not too old or too young. Roy's tutelage has gotta count for something, and if we play like we care, there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

*knocks on wood as he thinks about this season's playoff beards ... more handlebars?*

On the bright side. I think we improved our situation now having two goalies that can work together to move us up the standings. While TBAY who we're trying to catch did nothing.

So let's start reeling them in tonight

Grabbing Abby away from any attempts Tampa had about getting him from COLO. seems Bob's way

of destabilising further this faltering prey we'r running after.........Tampa Bay players will all have

nightmares tonight......they have allowed 8 goals against them and lost while Huet had a shout-out in

the CH's got the win......they can hear the thunder right behind them....they are scared....we are coming...get

out of the way!

Is there anyone in the house who thinks the Theo trade is a mistake? I disagree.

Want to debate it? :D

TRUST IN GAINEY. :hlogo:

Under current conditions, it's excellent. IMO

I don't anticipate Huet going cold :king: . If he is Montreal's backup in this scenario, we're in good hands. Aebischer is experienced and has had better averge numbers than Theodore over the course of their careers. And, he's more consistant.

Gainey also put him in a place where he cannot come back to haunt us. In Lacroix's mind, this is paradise. He won't leave Colorado for a while. A 2 year 11.5 m tag.

Oh crap (sarcasm), the only time the Avs could be a problem for us is during 2 regular season games and IF we bump into them in the final. Well planted Bob! Out west!

Oh crap (sarcasm)

If Montreal made it to the final against the Avs and Theodore was in goal, it wouldn't matter anyway.

Let me put it this way...

If Montreal made it to the final against the Wings and Legace was in goal, it wouldn't matter anyway.

You get the idea. We'd just win the series anyway. It's the HABS!

My point is, if Montreal can make the final that is fine with me :king: We probably won't bump into Colorado anyway. So, who cares anyway.

Also, everyone is forgetting rule number one: Gainey is shrewd and clever. I wouldn't be surpised at all if he pulled a rabbit out of the hat. After all, it's UFA summertime. :hlogo: :)

Anyway, I invite the wrath.

Cheers :king:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

another plus is that he's not too old or too young. Roy's tutelage has gotta count for something, and if we play like we care, there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

*knocks on wood as he thinks about this season's playoff beards ... more handlebars?*

And let Melanson give him some pointers before the playoffs and watch out!!!

From my "general manager" perspective, trading Theodore out of Montreal for Aebischer is a great deal, providing the team with generous cap space, and arguably, the better netminder. I wrote a post multiple pages ago that details this very fact.

But I also cannot ignore the fan inside of me that is very sad to see Theo go. Even as I begged and pleaded that Gainey trade him away, I never truly believed that his departure would come true. He is one of the biggest reasons I'm a Habs fan today (no, I haven't been a Canadiens fans as long as some of the people on this board), and I can't deny the impact he had on the "hockey fan" aspect of my life.

I will always remember him winning the Hart and Vezina, stealing the show against Boston in '02, wearing the touque in the Heritage Game, shutting out the Bruins 2-0 in Game 7 of '04, making the All-Star team with Souray, and the time he rushed to the blue line to fight some guy that had hit him behind the net in '03. I will always remember him winning key games, eventhough he usually stood much smaller in stature, but not confidence, than the opposition. And yeah, I'll always remember those Ford commercials.

I remember visiting Montreal for the 1st time, purchasing a Theodore jersey and proudly wearing it within the city's many pubs and bars. I remember playing street hockey in the very same jersey, doing my best to do the CH proud. I remember meeting classmates in the bar, and although they may not have known my name, they always knew that I was the guy with the Theodore jersey. I remember hitting up memorabilia shows to collect his cards, always looking for the nicest one. I remember always looking forward to his interviews, as for some reason, they always seemed more exciting than the rest.

Eventually, he began to let us down, both on and off the ice. Eventually, his teammates had lost faith, and it was clearly affecting his play. Eventually, knowing that he was making far more than he deserved took its toll.

But now he's gone, that won't change. So let's remember the good moments, the ones that made us proud to call the Rouge, Blue, et Blanc our team, and cheer this team as they continue their quest for the cup.

So for the last time: "La premiere etoile, the first star, Jose...The-o-dorrrre!!!!!!!

-Dave

Theo Quote......

``I'm anxious to go to Colorado and help the team,'' Theodore said. ``I'm really pumped up. It's going to be a great challenge.

``I want to make sure that I show everybody that Colorado made the better move.''

All I 've got to say is.......

"Hope in one hand and sh#T in the other, see which one gets filled first"

THEO Quote

"It was weird seeing myself on TV in the COlorado Uniform, I really look good in those colours"

ANALYSIS

THis makes our team better period.

Huet is still the number 1 goalie here. At worst you can call him the 1A and Abeischer the 1B, but anybody that thinks he's coming in to be the starter is dead wrong. Huet has earned Gainey's trust and that's not so easy.

Lastly with the amount of cap space we now have and the largest pool of UFAs ever, Gainey will now be able to address the things that this team has wanted and needed for years. A #2 or 3 Dman and a big skilled top 6 forward.

This probably isn't the kind of wrath you're expecting... but I've NEVER before seen such reckless and random overuse of the word 'anyway' until I read your post. :angry:

B)

...you read my mind...

I'm sensing a lot of people are worried that Theodore will regain his form in Colorado. The fact is that it doesn't matter if Theodore regains his form.

We now have Huet who has played as well as anybody in the league this season. Should he falter, Abischer will pick up the pieces, but I don't expect him to falter. The future also looks promising with the drafting of Carey Price. I think we are set in goal for some time.

Therefore, I say thanks to Theodore for carrying us in your good days and good luck in Colorado.

Now, lets get Huet locked into a two year deal (at least).

Maybe it's more subtracting theo than adding abeischer

its both, i think theo was ranked like ~30 and aebi is ranked 12th

(btw, Huet it flying up the rankings, is 32nd before break was below 40)

From my "general manager" perspective, trading Theodore out of Montreal for Aebischer is a great deal, providing the team with generous cap space, and arguably, the better netminder. I wrote a post multiple pages ago that details this very fact.

But I also cannot ignore the fan inside of me that is very sad to see Theo go...

...So for the last time: "La premiere etoile, the first star, Jose...The-o-dorrrre!!!!!!!

-Dave

Describes the reasons for my bittersweet emotions perfectly... Well written, Dave!

Describes the reasons for my bittersweet emotions perfectly... Well written, Dave!

I concur. Good job, Dave.

It's fashionable (and probably appropriate this year) to bash Theodore, but we would be remiss if we didn't acknowledge and thank him for his tremendous contributions to a very average team during his stay in Montreal... regardless of what amateur revisionist historians on this site have to say.

Thank you, and good luck, Jose.

This is an even trade but it won't look that way.

Theo has struggled here all year but when he does get to play for Colorado his game and numbers will look better then Abby's.

Let's face it, right now Colorado is the better team and it will make Jose [and Abby in the past] look better then they would be on weaker teams. I guess I'd look pretty good behind that defence too though.

We saved cap, ya thats the only good thing coming out of this.

are u guys telling me you are happy having either abby(possibly, we dont know if we will resign him) and huet as our number one goalie for at least 4 years to come?

And the market for goalies witll be tough this summer, theres a great deal of teams looking with older goalies right now.with saying that, if we get luongo, ha im happy....but not likely.

Look at all the teams that have won the cup in the past...good goaltending makes the difference!! there are a select few teams ala detroit who had osgood, but look at the team in front of him, you cant honestly say montreal will have that kind of team even if they do add, say a bertuzzi or a chara.

Just watch as theo next yr is playing amazing, i dont think he will be on his A game in the playoffs(but still good), but colorado was looking towards the future, were as we are looking to make some noise this year.

I see huet as an equal to a boucher in his good years, or a biron, never that top goaltender, but i would like the guy on our team. Montreal needs a good old french boy minding there nets, i know that doesnt sound right, but it is true.

Abby plays in front of a good team in colorado, to be honest, id rather have danis playing. Abby isnt as good as his stats, but we will find out, just wait till mtl has a few games where they need that great goaltending in the playoffs..it sure wont be abby who provides it, this is huets yr now, but watch for mental wear. remember..few goalies, or players for that matter can handle mtl pressure, lets see what playoff pressure will do to em. if im wrong about theo and everyone next year, be sure to bring it up in a convo with me