Theo Traded To Colorado

gohabsgo252006

Wow...lots of people saying they could look good behind our defense.

I never realized we had a good defense. :blink: That always seems to be the thing we want to improve.

Oh yeah, and for people saying Aebischer can't carry a team....Switzerland VS Czech Republic. 2006 Olympics. Go watch that game again.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I also cannot ignore the fan inside of me that is very sad to see Theo go.....So for the last time: "La premiere etoile, the first star, Jose...The-o-dorrrre!!!!!!!

-Dave

Yeah, I hear ya man. When I listened to their 2004 goal song last night...it didn't feel the same.

I had such high hopes :(

It's too bad because I think we all knew that 60-alie wasn't going to turn it around in MTL. It was just too much to overcome.

Last night, I was watching 110% (TVA) - politely known as a sports discussion show (but really more of a 'hey, I can outscream or out sarcasm you' kind of discourse).

The topic was, of course, THE TRADE. There were 6 participants and 6 varying opinions on the various aspects of the topic.

Now, the reason for this post is in response to a previous post about the need to have a French guy in the nets. One of the guys enthusiastically giving his opinion grieved the fact that there are now only 4 French-Canadians on the team and that they're only second-rate players (Bégin, Bouillon, Dandenault & Ribeiro). He expressed sorrow over the fact that the team was losing it's Québécois identity. On the one hand, I can understand his concerns but, I bet you that the average Canadiens fan would quite gladly accept the fact that the Canadiens were a 'winning' team with a few French-Canadians over a mediocre team filled with a greater percentage of French-Canadians.

There is still the tradition of heros like Durnan, Gardner, Hainsworth, Lach, Morenz, Blake, Moore, Worsley, Ferguson, the Mahovlich's, Dryden, Robinson, Gainey, Naslund, Koivu and others.

Minor heros like Shutt, Worsley, Nilan, etc also fill the glorious landscape of our team.

Also, in the very thought of needing a strong 'French-Canadian' presence on the team smacks of an elitism, of a cultural exclusivism, of (may I say it with trepidation) a sometimes not-so-mild fascism.

To use the comments of a previous poster:

"Anyway, I invite the wrath".

:hlogo: :angry: :hlogo:

Edited by shortcat1

One of the guys enthusiastically giving his opinion grieved the fact that there are now only 4 French-Canadians on the team and that they're only second-rate players (Bégin, Bouillon, Dandenault & Ribeiro). He expressed sorrow over the fact that the team was losing it's Québécois identity.

Michel Bergeron is worse of the group. He's such an anti-Koivu, and he seems to hate Sundstrom more than anything else. If it was up to him, Dagenais and Ribeiro would replace Koivu and Kovalev as the team's key players, and play 25 minutes a game. He keeps saying how Dagenais never got a single chance, which is completely false.

I also happended to see parts of that show last night, and Villeneuve seemed to imply that there was some sort of conspiracy to break of what he calls the "3 amigos": Theodore, Dagenais, and Ribeiro. First of all, Dagenais is a marginal player who just doesn't have what it takes to play regularly in the NHL. He didn't have it with the Devils, he didn't have it with the Panthers, and after several opportunities to be a top 6 on this roster, he clearly showed that he didn't have it with the Canadiens.

As for Theodore, his awful play this season after signing a huge 3-year deal, and the heavy baggage of constant negative events surronding his personal life (some people just attract all that stuff) forced Gainey to deal him; they didn't plan for it to happen, but Gainey had to do something before it was too late.

And the worst thing is that these 100% guys seem to think it is wrong for Koivu to have a good friend in Craig Rivet, but they welcome the friendship of the "3 Amigos" or of past Habs players such as Moore and Boomer.

There certainly was a concerted move by Gainey to break up the "3 amigos". They were an underachieving and seemingly disruptive influence.

That said, one can't help but wonder whether Gainey is feeling vindicated for selecting Carey Price. Nonetheless, I can't imagine the enormous expectations that are going to be placed on the kid when he graduates to the NHL.

There certainly was a concerted move by Gainey to break up the "3 amigos". They were an underachieving and seemingly disruptive influence.

That said, one can't help but wonder whether Gainey is feeling vindicated for selecting Carey Price. Nonetheless, I can't imagine the enormous expectations that are going to be placed on the kid when he graduates to the NHL.

Of course, being selected 5th overall before guys like Brule and Kopitar (plus Bourdon and others), there will be high expectations. However, the presence right now of Aebischer and Huet, and the promising professional debuts of Danis and Halak, should allow the Canadiens to give him enough time to develop (unlike what the Islanders have with DiPietro).

It seems obvious to me that BG identified very early the problems with the three amigos. Right from the selection of Carey Price to the demotion of Dagenais, to the eventual trading of Theodore. I do believe that Ribs has a short window of opportunity to change.

Being an Ontarian, I can't fully appreciate the desire for Quebecers to see a strong root of Francophones on the Canadiens roster. Be it in hockey or Canadian politics I simply don't understand the issue. I try and put it in a context I can identify with but it is difficult. I will not bash Theo again, he is not part of my team anymore. Bon chance en Denver Theo. Does it help that Huet is French, even if he isn't from Quebec?

I am so hopeful for our team right now. BG has shown me that he does have a plan. I expect serious moves in the offseason. Remember 1993? The joy of winning a cup?

Montreal will win a cup under Gainey and I can't wait to see it-AGAIN.

Does it help that Huet is French, even if he isn't from Quebec?

No. Huet speaks French far better than 95% of Quebécois, so they feel threatened by him :blush:

Seriously, I don't quite get it either. I speak both languages equally to the point I don't even consider myself either francophone or anglophone. If someone speaks Frech, I'll speak French. Same for English, and if someone speaks Spanish or Italian, I'll try to speak that too. When I lived in Den Haag (near Amsterdam, it's the Ottawa of the Netherlands), I even tried to pick up Dutch, but that didn't work so well.

I'm all for encouraging local talent, wherever you're from, but when it turns into hatred for other cultures (and I'm sorry to say it sometimes does in Quebec), then that's just wrong.

Edited by CerebusClone

No. Huet speaks French far better than 95% of Quebécois, so they feel threatened by him :blush:

Seriously, I don't quite get it either. I speak both languages equally to the point I don't even consider myself either francophone or anglophone. If someone speaks Frech, I'll speak French. Same for English, and if someone speaks Spanish or Italian, I'll try to speak that too. When I lived in Den Haag (near Amsterdam, it's the Ottawa of the Netherlands), I even tried to pick up Dutch, but that didn't work so well.

I'm all for encouraging local talent, wherever you're from, but when it turns into hatred for other cultures (and I'm sorry to say it sometimes does in Quebec), then that's just wrong.

Echt, zelfs nederlands? Knap! ;)

I am so hopeful for our team right now. BG has shown me that he does have a plan. I expect serious moves in the offseason. Remember 1993? The joy of winning a cup?

Montreal will win a cup under Gainey and I can't wait to see it-AGAIN.

I remain hopeful that the Canadiens can continue the greatest streak in the history of sports in having won a Stanley Cup every decade. :king:

Imagine if someone would travel back in time 30 years to 1976 and tell Bob Gainey this:

In 30 years you will be the general manager of the Montreal Canadiens. Defending Stanley Cup is a new franchise called the Tampa Bay Lightnings from Florida. Yes Florida, they now has two teams the Lighnings and the Panthers. Quebec has just one team. Actually there's only 6 teams in Canada and 24 in the US.

In 30 years the Olympics will be held in Torino, Italy and will be the third olympics where NHL players will participate. Canada won't even make the semi finals and will lose to Switzerland by two to nothing.

The Montreal Canadiens 2006 won't have any Quebec-born goaltenders. In fact they won't even have a Canadien goalie. They won't even have a goaltender from north america. So is the two goaltenders from another european hockey-country? No... One is from France and the other one is from Switzerland. You might think that this was the goalie that shut Team Canada in the olympics? No, that was another Swiss goalie. The captain of the Habs 2006 in from Europe. Finland. There's alos players from countries like Kasakhsztan, Slovakia, Sweden Czech Republic and Russia (Soviet doesn't exist anymore).

None of the better player on the team is from Quebec. Nor Canada. Nor north america...

What do you think Bob Gainey 1976 would have answered?

Imagine if someone would travel back in time 30 years to 1976 and tell Bob Gainey this:

In 30 years you will be the general manager of the Montreal Canadiens. Defending Stanley Cup is a new franchise called the Tampa Bay Lightnings from Florida. Yes Florida, they now has two teams the Lighnings and the Panthers. Quebec has just one team. Actually there's only 6 teams in Canada and 24 in the US.

In 30 years the Olympics will be held in Torino, Italy and will be the third olympics where NHL players will participate. Canada won't even make the semi finals and will lose to Switzerland by two to nothing.

The Montreal Canadiens 2006 won't have any Quebec-born goaltenders. In fact they won't even have a Canadien goalie. They won't even have a goaltender from north america. So is the two goaltenders from another european hockey-country? No... One is from France and the other one is from Switzerland. You might think that this was the goalie that shut Team Canada in the olympics? No, that was another Swiss goalie. The captain of the Habs 2006 in from Europe. Finland. There's alos players from countries like Kasakhsztan, Slovakia, Sweden Czech Republic and Russia (Soviet doesn't exist anymore).

None of the better player on the team is from Quebec. Nor Canada. Nor north america...

"Really? If what you're saying is true then... wow! But, really, I just think you're screwin' around with me." :blink::wacko:

"Really? If what you're saying is true then... wow! But, really, I just think you're screwin' around with me." :blink::wacko:

BEing the great thinking man that he is, he'd probably have said how lucky the NHL would be to have such diverse representation from so many nations and that the NHL must be such a great skilled place with all these hockey players and hockey must be evolving so much, it would be hard for a guy like him to survive as how could you possibly shut down all the great skilled players in the league.

Of course nobody bothered to tell Bob Gainey in 1976 that the league was run by lawyers and not great men like Adams, Smythe, Norris et all who knew hockey and and didn't run it into the ground in the name of profits i.e., broader fan appeal...which equals more profits....

Or he would have said, who cares, "Guy pass me another cigarette, did you see that movie slapshot"...actually i guess that probably came out the following year and "Hey did you know the Russians consider me the greatest hockey player they've ever seen?"

You mean like this French guy...

Ken-Dryden3.jpg

(Now I am asking for it)

You took the words right out of my mouth, so to speak...eh...type :)

How much more money will they be making then me?

I frankly don't think he would have been too shocked. Not quite '76, but look at "The Game" by Dryden... he kinda envisions a lot of this stuff.

I've been thinking about this trade a bit more, and I've come to like it for the available flexibility in goal this year and next. If Huet, who is an UFA, decides to sign elsewhere, we have Aebischer to fill the number #1 role why Danis is backup.

If Huet does resign, Aebischer is a RFA which means we either get draft pick compensation if he signs elsewhere, or Gainey has an excellent trade asset to bring in another player.

So I'm okay with the trade....somewhat