Question

Peter Puck

I thought I would take advantage of the tremendous experience and brain power available at HW.

My wife got us tickets to see the two Habs/Leafs games on Thursday March 23rd and Saturday March 25th in Montreal. We are going to take my 12 year old nephew along. (His mother is a Leaf's fan so I have a moral responsibility to rescue him from a life of dissapointment.)

I have a couple of questions.

1. What time does the Bell Centre start admitting fans. I want to take him around the Bell Centre before the game to take him to see the Canadiens Hall of Fame, to purchase some Habs memorabillia and to eat dinner.

Does any have any favourite foods to eat inside?

2. Does anyone have some suggestions on some activities in Montreal to fill the time between the two games.

Thanks in advance for any help.

if you have the time, go to the insectarium or biodome..i'm sure your nephew will like it.

also if you're in old mtl..go to pointe a caillere museum..pretty neet and kids friendly

My fave place is the Plateau, especially around the Mont-Royal street. Love all the little restaurants there. But I'm the artsy-snobbish-outsider type so I might not be a good guide for family trips. :)

Well for sure get your nephew a few hot dogs; they have the best in sports. I believe there was a sports illustrated article on how good the hot dogs in the Bell Centre are. The reason why they are so good is because of the buns they use they are these top sliced heaven like creations.

Secondly the doors to the Bell Centre usually open one hour-one hour and a half before game time.

As for purchasing Canadiens memorabilia it might be a more economical choice to do some shopping along St. Catherine’s St. rather than actually purchase items from within the Bell Centre’s Boutique.

And by the way I will most likely be attending one of those games as well so maybe we can meet in the Bell Centre and put a face to a name as they say. Oddly enough I am from Kingston as well.

Edited by JMMR

Food-wise, at a reasonable price -- try the famous Montréal smoked meat at Ben's on deMaisoneuve Street or (more history but further afield) at Schwatrz's on St-Laurent. Close to the Bell Center and still very good is Dunn's. Finish with a slice of cheesecake -- mmm.

Stroll Old Montréal in the afternoon if the weather is mild, get a crepe and coffee somewhere. The Notre Dame Basilica is close and magnificent, also a further out is St. Joseph's Oratory. Maybe Notre Dame is easier.

I don't know if they still have em but you used to be able to take a horse-drawn carriage round Mt Royal that is a nice family memory waiting to happen!

Food-wise, at a reasonable price -- try the famous Montréal smoked meat at Ben's on deMaisoneuve Street or (more history but further afield) at Schwatrz's on St-Laurent. Close to the Bell Center and still very good is Dunn's. Finish with a slice of cheesecake -- mmm.

Stroll Old Montréal in the afternoon if the weather is mild, get a crepe and coffee somewhere. The Notre Dame Basilica is close and magnificent, also a further out is St. Joseph's Oratory. Maybe Notre Dame is easier.

I don't know if they still have em but you used to be able to take a horse-drawn carriage round Mt Royal that is a nice family memory waiting to happen!

SACRELIGE!!!

The MAIN (across the street from Schwartz's)!

Bell Centre Hot Dogs.... suddenly am extremely home sick...

The Oratory is pretty neat... go visit Brother Andre. I'm no catholic but it is a very impressive place.

Edited by simonus

If your hotel is downtown, then leave the car in the parking and simply walk around. There is A LOT to see. Just walk around the Old Port (lot of magnificent historic buildings and places). There are things for the whole family there (IMAX, shopping centers, fine restaurants).

And there's the St.Catherine blvd that goes from west to east. There is A LOT there. It's nice to walk and lose time visit the boutiques.

You can also take the underground rail system (METRO), but you have only 1 day and there's already lot to see around the Bell Center.

For the Bell Centre guide tour, visit http://www.bellcentre.ca/eng/arena/guidedTour.cfm

THN's The Best Of Everything said the Bell Centre has the best food in the entire league, especially the hot dogs. So I have to ask.....are they blowing smoke or does the Bell Center actually have really, really good food?

I'm used to watching the Avs and Flames go at it while eating some Timmy's donuts and a couple soggy hot dogs. Which, now that I think about it, I'll be doing in 18 days.

Crap, I feel like having some Bell Centre hot dogs now. If they're that damn good this explains why a drink and two hot dogs are like 10$ when you can get a steamie for 99 cents at the Bell Pro :P

I've had nachos at the Bell Centre, can't complain they were good.

When I went to the Calgary/Nashville game at the saddledome last week my friend Justin got a Hotdog and it looked freakin amazing. I tried to find a picture on google but after seeing about 30 puppys with a bun around them I closed it. Also my hotdog appetite is gone.

For a good meal, I would recommend 3 Amigos on Ste-Catherine's street, a great Mexican restaurant. The atmosphere is great for both adults and kids, the plates are generous and tasty, the prices are reasonable, they serve very large and surprisingly cheap frozen drinks like Daiquiris, Marguaritas, and Pina Coladas (I'm sure they have non-alcohol ones as well) which are always fun, and they give you tortillas and salsa as soon as you walk in so the kids don't complain for half an hour :P

Other than that, if nephew has never been to one, I remember really enjoing the Planetarium when I was about that age; they have cool multemedia shows, and the prices are very low.

This reminds me, you might want to lookup the "Accès Montreal" card; I think it costs 7$ , but it gives you great deals on many locations in Montreal such as movies, cruises, museums, theaters, etc. For example, with the card, one adult ticket at the Planetarium will cost you 5$ instead of 8$; some deals pretty much pay for the whole price of the card! So if you're thinking about doing more than one activity, you should definitely look into this.

Edited by CerebusClone

If you need an hotel, MayI suggest the Queen elizabeth...you have access to all the underground( linking many shopping malls). It's great if It'll be raining or snowing. I work there...so if you find me, I'll give you an autograph :lol: