Players Under Contract For Next Season

GoHabs2002

As it stands right now, here is Montreal's under contract roster for next season, with the cap salary (keep in mind, it is the average salary over the term of the contract, not the actual amount)

Centers: Koivu 4.75m, Plekanek .5m (assuming next year salary of .55m) Bonk 2.394m Begin .625m

Left Wingers: Kovelov 4.5m

Right Wingers: Zednik 1.9m, Kostitsyn (approx .95m)

Defensman: Markov 1.75m Souray 2.28m Rivet 2.47m Dandenault 1.725

Habs currently have under contract for next season:

11 players for a total of 23.844m

Assuming the cap will be at 45m, I doubt the habs will go that high, I suspect the team budget will be at 40m.

That leaves roughly 16m to sign 12 players (7 forwards, 3 defensemen and 2 goalies)

Our free agents (with current salary):

Key Unrestricted: 4

Wingers: Bulis (1.026m) Sundstrom (.988)

Defensemen: Bouillon (.6m)

Goalies: Huet (.456m) Danis (25 years old and played less than 28 NHL games; .874m)

Key Restricted: 7

Centers: Ribeiro (1.178m)

Wingers: Ryder (1m) Higgins (.9006) Perezhogin (.7106m) Murray (.5016m)

Defensemen: Komisarek (.8588m) Streit (.45m)

Goalie: Abeisher (1.9m)

Prospects:

Simpson, Downey, Dagenais do not count toward anything.

So there you have, please refer to this list as you wish when you are thinking about what the Habs can do. While I am confident most of the figures are accurate, even with any error, it gives a good estimate of what the Gainey will be playing with.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so Danis will be an UFA this summer??? this is ridiculous. bob better lock him up to a long term contract before july 1st

and i though abby was signed for 3 years

Nope, Aebischer is in the last year of his deal.

And $1.026 Million for Bulis and $988,000 for Sundstrom is way too much. Especially for Sundstrom. If thats what its going to cost to retain them, dump them. You can find younger and cheaper players who can do as much.

Atleast let Sundstrom go

Nope, Aebischer is in the last year of his deal.

And $1.026 Million for Bulis and $988,000 for Sundstrom is way too much. Especially for Sundstrom. If thats what its going to cost to retain them, dump them. You can find younger and cheaper players who can do as much.

Atleast let Sundstrom go

Those figures are what the players are being paid currently. I think the Bulis figure is just right, we'll have to top that a bit to retain him in the summer tho.

Nope, I think more than a million is too much for Bulis. If he wants to settle for $850,000 I'd keep him. $900,000 at most. Spot could be taken by a prospect next year, and that million would help secure another free agent. He's just not worth it

so Danis will be an UFA this summer??? this is ridiculous. bob better lock him up to a long term contract before july 1st

and i though abby was signed for 3 years

Youre worried about Danis? What about Huet?

Err.. you made a couple of mistakes.

Danis won't be unrestricted. It's impossible to become a UFA at 25 years old. I'm also pretty sure that Aebischer has a 3 years on his contract. Dagenais, Simpson, Downey aren't prospects. I wouldn't call Simpson nothing, he could be worth resigning. Downey is a decent depth guy but we have enough depth without him and Dagenais has a lot of use (with shootouts) but he's just not worth all the trouble he causes. Oh yeah, and Sunny still has a year left on his contract. He got signed to a two-year deal this past offseason.

Danis won't be unrestricted. It's impossible to become a UFA at 25 years old. I'm also pretty sure that Aebischer has a 3 years on his contract. Dagenais, Simpson, Downey aren't prospects. I wouldn't call Simpson nothing, he could be worth resigning. Downey is a decent depth guy but we have enough depth without him and Dagenais has a lot of use (with shootouts) but he's just not worth all the trouble he causes. Oh yeah, and Sunny still has a year left on his contract. He got signed to a two-year deal this past offseason.

According to the habsworld front page, Sunny is UFA after this season. I dont have a source, but every report I've heard refers to Aebi as FA after the end of the season. I don't exactly know Danis' status, but I think because of his age and lack of games played, he falls into a FA hole.

Look at my post carefully, I didn't list Dags, Simpson or Downey as prospects, I just listed them after the prospects section to illustrate that I considered them but that they would play no role in next year's team. I thought that was self evident.

Yann Danis contract is over at the end of the season. Come July 1st, he will be 25 years old. In the CBA, if a player is 25 years old and has not played a certain amount of games in the NHL, he becomes a Free agent under the Group VI category. There are three categories of UFA. The commone one, Group III, the one where players didn't get qualifying offers and this one, where they didn't play enough games.

Danis is a UFA category VI this summer...a player with 3 or more professional years and less then 28 NHL games for a goalie (less then 80 NHL games for players other then goalies).

Aebischer is only signed for this year and is a RFA this summer. He becomes a UFA after next year.

Sunny is a UFA this summer and good bye, no way we resign him.

Bulis is a UFA this summer, but he's worth is 1 to 1.5M$.

As for Huet, RDS reports this morning that BG confirmed that he will make him an offer after the season (no talks during the season) and is performances until the end of the year will dictate how much they offer him. I wounder what this means for our other goalies. If we resign Huet and Aebisher, that means another year for Danis in the AHL, but the guy is ready to move up to the NHL. Also, Halak deserves full time duty in the AHL next year? What will BG do? Trade one this summer?

By the way, all the free agents information are available on spector's site. There's a complete free agents list available.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

Danis is a UFA category VI this summer...a player with 3 or more professional years and less then 28 NHL games for a goalie (less then 80 NHL games for players other then goalies).

Aebischer is only signed for this year and is a RFA this summer. He becomes a UFA after next year.

Hmm.. I never knew that rule about the groups but I thought the age was being lowered to 27 and that every FA 27+ will become an UFA and everyone 26- and still be a FA. By "3 professional years" do you mean NHL or does AHL count too, because Danis' a rookie.

So Aebischer is a RFA. I doubt he gets much of a raise after having a shaky start to the season. Mainly because he's going from a starter in Colorado to a 1B in Montreal. Either Aebi the Habby is being packaged for a big name or Danis is getting traded for a pick or something because Danis needs icetime next year. If Huet signs it would probably be for around 2M (same as Aebi).

Hmm.. I never knew that rule about the groups but I thought the age was being lowered to 27 and that every FA 27+ will become an UFA and everyone 26- and still be a FA. By "3 professional years" do you mean NHL or does AHL count too, because Danis' a rookie.

So Aebischer is a RFA. I doubt he gets much of a raise after having a shaky start to the season. Mainly because he's going from a starter in Colorado to a 1B in Montreal. Either Aebi the Habby is being packaged for a big name or Danis is getting traded for a pick or something because Danis needs icetime next year. If Huet signs it would probably be for around 2M (same as Aebi).

3 professional years include AHL, East Cost League, etc. any pro league. Junior and university leagues don't count.

3 professional years include AHL, East Cost League, etc. any pro league. Junior and university leagues don't count.

So he only has two years right? This year in the NHL/AHL and last year in the AHL. Before that, he played for Brown University.

So he only has two years right? This year in the NHL/AHL and last year in the AHL. Before that, he played for Brown University.

'03-04 in Hamilton

04-05 in Hamilton

05-06 in Hamilton

He last played at Brown in 02-03

Great post indeed. Now we need a supplementary post listing UFAs likely to be on the market this summer - since it's a safe bet that Bob dealt Theodore to clear up cap room, the questions are, who's available, who might be interested in coming here, and who Bob might be interested in.

Any help?

huet is an RFA not a lot of negotiating power on his side he has played very well but he can be signed for a million imo

Abs same situation i think he willl be signed for 2 mill maybe 2.2.

if I amnot mistaken the club can hang on to their rights by offering 100% of current salary. subject to arbitration which i do not think works in these paticular players favor.

Well that sucks I would really like to keep Danis in Montreal. Depending on Aebi and how important he is to the Canadiens during the stretch drive and the playoffs. But the Canadiens are deep in goal and if moving Aebi or Danis can land the Canadiens a decent draft pick or help attain a big name player to come to Montreal it would be worth it.

Someone made an argument about the minimal negotiating power Huet has I believe he has more power then you believe as he could just decide to return to Europe and finish out his career there. But I do believe that he want's to stay in Montreal after all the city has fallen in love with him and he has proven that at least over the past two months he is a strong goalie with tons of stamina.

Bulis IMO is one of the most important players the Canadiens need to retain in the off-season. He is going to set career highs goals and most likely assists and points as well; he has one of the best +/- ratings on the team and still is quite young. Sure maybe the Canadiens have many defensive players but Bulis has the potential to be a 30-goal scorer (although highly unlikely) he can be counted on for 15-20 every season. He has shown signs of improving his finishing abilities this year.

Bulis IMO is one of the most important players the Canadiens need to retain in the off-season. He is going to set career highs goals and most likely assists and points as well; he has one of the best +/- ratings on the team and still is quite young. Sure maybe the Canadiens have many defensive players but Bulis has the potential to be a 30-goal scorer (although highly unlikely) he can be counted on for 15-20 every season. He has shown signs of improving his finishing abilities this year.

He is leading the team in +/- (8) and shooting %. It's strange how people comment on how he can't finish even when the stats say he's the best finisher on the team.

bulis has become our benoit brunet: he can play on whatever line you put him on, he's good on D and will never do anything to put you in trouble...he also has some offensive skill. one thing different: bulis doesn't get hurt to often.

hope he signs for 3 years