Christopher Higgins

SoCalHab

I am truly amazed by some of this guy's skills.....Boardwork, Stickhandling, Skating, Shooting, Puck Strength, and most important of all. .....BRAINS!

I am so glad that both CJ and BG gave this guy a chance to gain confidence at this level.....he has become one of our most dangerous players, especially when he's killing penalties.

Ironically with the Rangers in town, I wonder if he would have been given the playing time if we had decided to keep Hossa or Ward.

yes he would've because he simply hearned it. he's been playing great as of late and he could end up with 20 goals this season if he continues to play the way we he did so far. I think he's the most complete foward we have. All he needs is experience.

can wait to see him in the playoffs

I am truly amazed by some of this guy's skills.....Boardwork, Stickhandling, Skating, Shooting, Puck Strength, and most important of all. .....BRAINS!

I am so glad that both CJ and BG gave this guy a chance to gain confidence at this level.....he has become one of our most dangerous players, especially when he's killing penalties.

Ironically with the Rangers in town, I wonder if he would have been given the playing time if we had decided to keep Hossa or Ward.

You forgot to mention that boys SPEED! Did you see him take off on that shorthanded breakaway the other night?

:hlogo:

the guy is good, not as good skills as plekanec, but pretty impressive. He's been a fav of mine for awhile, but i never expected him to be scoring the way he is now. Well see if he keeps it up. I thought that higgins and chipchara were the same style players???

I don't think his performance has been "out of nowhere". He has been playing extremely well all season and even last year. While he has been putting the puck in the net the last 10 days I think this is just due to an increase in confidence. Gainey put him on the first line before he started scoring because of his good play. While I am extremely happy to see him score I still think his strength is as a set up man. His strength along the boards is the best on the team.

Most of the projections about Chris had him as a checking forward and penalty killer who could put up 50 points in his best season. After seeing him play for the first half of the season, I thought he'd live up to that. He's tenacious on the puck, makes good decisions on when to go and when to be more conservative, and most importantly for a penalty killer, doesn't take dumb or undisciplined penalties himself.

Having said that, I wonder if he's really suited to be a first line player. Can he consistently get near that point-a-game pace that makes for a dangerous threat, one that gets targeted by the other team as a guy you have to be aware of at all times. In a couple of years, I could see him maxing out as a second-line threat who plays the first PK unit, with a 30-goal, 70-point potential. Saku has been about as close to a point-per-game player as we've had in over a decade, but he's never reached that magic number. And now with offence hopefully trending upwards, it will be more realistic for top-line players to get that 90 - 100 point mark with some regularity, or at least the 40 goal level. I think he's more balanced than say Michael Ryder, who'll always get more goals than assists.

The CH's hidden cards are starting to surface,....Huet and now Higgins....my God I wasn't

ready for such treat !

It as become obvious since the Olympique brake that Higgins has chowned us to be

endowed with an offensive instinct and a wrister that I didn't know him having.......but its

when you add those newly exposed qualitys to those we had already knew him having

that the whole thing is starting to get frighteningly interesting.

I cant wait to see how it will all unfold for him and the team in this most exciting phase

of the season.

Most of the projections about Chris had him as a checking forward and penalty killer who could put up 50 points in his best season. After seeing him play for the first half of the season, I thought he'd live up to that. He's tenacious on the puck, makes good decisions on when to go and when to be more conservative, and most importantly for a penalty killer, doesn't take dumb or undisciplined penalties himself.

Having said that, I wonder if he's really suited to be a first line player. Can he consistently get near that point-a-game pace that makes for a dangerous threat, one that gets targeted by the other team as a guy you have to be aware of at all times. In a couple of years, I could see him maxing out as a second-line threat who plays the first PK unit, with a 30-goal, 70-point potential. Saku has been about as close to a point-per-game player as we've had in over a decade, but he's never reached that magic number. And now with offence hopefully trending upwards, it will be more realistic for top-line players to get that 90 - 100 point mark with some regularity, or at least the 40 goal level. I think he's more balanced than say Michael Ryder, who'll always get more goals than assists.

Well, a month ago I suggested his future was as a first line player so I am going to stick with my postition. I don't think he will be mainly a goal scorer but Higgins' speed and digging ability make him the perfect winger for someone who can finish. I am not sure whether Ryder is that player though.

Edited by Peter Puck

Higgins isn't a pure goal scorer; he's a guy who can get into hot streches, like now, but I doubt he can deliver this level of performance for a full season. He's a great player to have, but he's not a "real" first liner. However, he can complement other skilled players, and thus play on a first line from time to time.

I too always projected him to be a great 3rd liner with the occasional stints on the top offensive lines; a guy who can score 20-25 goals and get 40-60 points a season. I also expect him to eventually be the kind of guy wo will raise his level of play during the playoffs, and become a leader.

on the hockeysfuture website they say that he could be a 1st line player and I'm starting to think that can happen. I heard gainey saying that higgins could become a player similar to lehtinen...works for me. the koivu -higgins-ryder line as all the tools to become a great line: a playmaker, a scorer and a grinder who gets the puck in the corners and scores garbage goals.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/chris_higgins

the more I see him, though, the more he reminds me of a mark recchi with little less scoring abilities

the more I see him, though, the more he reminds me of a mark recchi with little less scoring abilities

I agree, but I think Perezhogin looks more like Recchi than Higgins. He's small, fast, not the most skilled player, but he works hard to compensate. Perezhogin will never be a star by himself, but like Recchi, he will produce if he plays with skilled players; he just needs to gain confidence. He started slow in the AHL, than became a constant threat. He did the same thing in Russia, and I'm confident he'll do the same in the NHL.

Yeah I loved watching this guy down in Hamilton when I had season tickets last year. He was dynamite. Never put up huge goal totals, but just did everything well. They miss him this year.

Could put up 30 goals in a few years, and maybe challenge for the Selke

Back when CJ was booted and Gainey took over, I suggested Higgens would be a player who would shine under this regime, as he is an excellent 2-way player, and I still believe that. He will be one of our best players for years to come. As to wether or not he will be a 'first liner', well, he's playing on our first line, which by definition, makes him a first liner. As to wether he'll ever be a star NHLer, only time will tell, but he's certainly headed in that direction, I think.