The Next Number That Gets Retired

mathieu30

That would of course mean that the Canadiens would be hovering around the 180 Stanley Cup mark and I would imagine that wound not bother the Canadiens if they had to start using three digits.

Yup and plus we would be preoccupied with our "Leafs haven't won the Cup in 535 years" celebratory posts...

I would say Robinson first, then Dryden. Roy really needs to patch things up with the organization before he's considered, but that's just a matter of time too, he was too good/important of a player to be missed. The rest may have to wait a bit longer, though if this were any other franchise, they'd be automatic too.

oh my god I just realized something troubling:

There are 99 total numbers available minus nine already retired that leaves 90 numbers. Subtract the 23 players that will be on the roster at any given time, that leaves 67 available numbers. The five numbers on the list in this thread will probably be retired so they won't be issued to any new players. That leaves 62 numbers.

Now, the nine numbers that have already been retired date back to Morenz in 1937, which is 70 years and that makes a rate of one number retired roughly every eight years.

At this rate the Habs will completely run out of numbers in the year 2502! Shit!!!

So name one person on this current Canadiens roster that would deserve to go to the Hall of Fame and have their number retired? Name one guy in the last 5 years who's played for the Habs that should have his number retired? I think its safe to say that you can extent that 2502 a little longer.

So name one person on this current Canadiens roster that would deserve to go to the Hall of Fame and have their number retired? Name one guy in the last 5 years who's played for the Habs that should have his number retired? I think its safe to say that you can extent that 2502 a little longer.

Maybe, but Saku, Higgins, Komisarek, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Plekanec and Bégin will play all their career in Montreal, win few Cups and have their numbers retired. I'd say before the year 2400 we'll have a # problem.

Maybe, but Saku, Higgins, Komisarek, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Plekanec and Bégin will play all their career in Montreal, win few Cups and have their numbers retired. I'd say before the year 2400 we'll have a # problem.

Well I think its safe to knock Koivu and Begin off that list. Begin has absolutley no chance and Koivu has never been a point a game player, never will be, and I doubt Montreal is going to win 2 or 3 cups with him as the Conn Smythe trophy winner in the next 4 years...his shelf life with knee problems, to help him into the Hall.

Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn I'll give you....

Sadly, several Habs are being overlooked for retired # honours...

2 - Kent Carlson

3 - Scott Sandelin

8 - Alfie Turcotte

12 - Perry Ganchar

20 - Patrik Carnback

22 - Randy Bucyk

26 - Jesse Belanger

28 - Larry Trader

29 - Ron Flockhart

40 - Les Kuntar

46 - Ed Cristofoli

2 - Kent Carlson

3 - Scott Sandelin

8 - Alfie Turcotte

12 - Perry Ganchar

20 - Patrik Carnback

22 - Randy Bucyk

26 - Jesse Belanger

28 - Larry Trader

29 - Ron Flockhart

40 - Les Kuntar

46 - Ed Cristofoli

I think Patrick Lebeau is more deserving that Ron Flockhart

2 - Kent Carlson

3 - Scott Sandelin

8 - Alfie Turcotte

12 - Perry Ganchar

20 - Patrik Carnback

22 - Randy Bucyk

26 - Jesse Belanger

28 - Larry Trader

29 - Ron Flockhart

40 - Les Kuntar

46 - Ed Cristofoli

Chris Nilan?

Mats Naslund?

Fafan Richer?

Vinny DamnPuss?

certainly more deserving, but will never happen... mean while you forgot Patrick Traverse on that list...

Cournoyer, player with the most cup wins in History, 10 in 16 years

Robinson, was probably the greatest D-Man in habs History

Gainey, THE REASON for the Selke award... nuff said

Roy: THE WAYNE GRETZKY of goalies, rewrote the record books inspired a whole generation of goalies, from Quebec, and everywhere...

so to you, they weren't (or still aren't for those waiting) good enough to get their number up?

These are all great players, and they should be inducted into the Hall of Fame. However, I don't think they are "retired number" material. Cournoyer was a great player, one of the good ones back in those years, but nothing more. Do you think Jagr will see his number retired? Better players, like Jean Ratelle in New York for instance, are in the Hall of Fame without having their number retired.

Bob Gainey was a defensive forward who could hardly score 40 points in a season. Even Sundstrom managed to do that in San Jose. If I take Bobby Holik, he too is big and agressive, he works very hard, and he can give you 40-60 points in a season. Do you think he'll see his number retired?

And even Patrick Roy. Earlier in his career, he wasn't the uncontested best goalie in the NHL; some (not me though) would argue that Ed Belfour was just as good (statistically, they could be right). And later on, it was all about the Dominator, who was truly a step above all competition. Career-wise, I think Roy could be the best goalie in history (Hasek was a better goalie, but he lacks longevity), but still, I don't think he's done anything that remarkable to ensure that nobody else ever wears his number for the Habs. And that's not even considering the fact that he gave up on the organization, and publicly asked to be traded live during a game.

Edited by CerebusClone

Umm well koivu probably has the biggest chance, being captian and not knowing what will happen in next years coming....and if anything maybe huet depends what he does for us on the next 6-7 years depending on how long we keep him and how he progresses.

HE can be the next roy for all we know...

These are all great players, and they should be introduced into the Hall of Fame. However, I don't think they are "retired number" material. Cournoyer was a great player, one of the good ones back in those years, but nothing more.

I must be misunderstanding your post. Are you saying Cournoyer should be inducted into the HHOF?

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Bob Gainey was a defensive forward who could hardly score 40 points in a season. Even Sundstrom managed to do that in San Jose. If I take Bobby Holik, he too is big and agressive, he works very hard, and he can give you 40-60 points in a season. Do you think he'll see his number retired?

Bob Gainey won a Conn Smythe and was once titled "the best player in the World." Not to mention 4 consecutive Selkes (no other player has ever hit more than 3 in their entire career) and a bunch of Stanley Cups that he contributed to. He was much more than just a big checker.

and the Selke award might as well be called The Robert Gainey award (won it the first 4 times)... it was created to honour Defensive Forwards, and he was the best... he was innovating in his own way... putting the opponent to sleep... but yeah he was the best in his own way...

# 1981 - Bob Gainey, Montreal Canadiens

# 1980 - Bob Gainey, Montreal Canadiens

# 1979 - Bob Gainey, Montreal Canadiens

# 1978 - Bob Gainey, Montreal Canadiens

Edited by KKZ2005

These are all great players, and they should be introduced into the Hall of Fame. However, I don't think they are "retired number" material. Cournoyer was a great player, one of the good ones back in those years, but nothing more. Do you think Jagr will see his number retired? Better players, like Jean Ratelle in New York for instance, are in the Hall of Fame without having their number retired.

Jagr will probably have his number retired with Pittsburgh, and not in NYC, so I can see a point about Roy having his # already retired with another team, maybe he doesn't REALLY need it here...

and players used to stick to teams for much longer... now the most loyal players stay 5 or 6 years (compared to 10 or 15 back then) with the same team (with a few exceptions) so its harder to tell where players were better...